Cancelled? VH1 Reportedly Cans ‘Basketball Wives’

Victory is reportedly at hand for those who’ve boycotted against the nasty cat fights and bullying on ‘Basketball Wives’. Several blogs and outlets are reporting that VH1 has decided to cancel the show because of pending lawsuits and a reduction in sponsors.

Sources are reporting that the Basketball Wives finale is the last we’ll see of the women who’ve used throwing punches as a route to stardom.

VH1 has said that the rumors are false, but the denials haven’t tamped down the rumors. In fact, a few blogs have even reported that they received press releases indicating that the show has been cancelled.

VH1 will only confirm that  the season 4 finale of “Basketball Wives” will air on May 28 at 8 p.m. EST. The first half of the two-part reunion will air June 4 at 8 p.m. EST on VH1, and part two will follow on June 11 at 8 p.m. EST.

Kirsten West-Savali at NewsOne.com is reporting that the rumors are not true (at least not yet).    But West-Savali says that she wouldn’t be surprised if the show was in serious trouble.

“I was more surprised to find out that it (the cancellation) wasn’t true than I was to find out that it might be,” she said.

West-Savali mentions that the words and behavior of the women on the show reflect that something interesting is happening behind the scenes.  Since a widely circulated petition against the show started on Change.org, Burger King and Summers Eve have both dropped off the list of corporate sponsors.  Afterward, Shaunie O’neal appeared publicly to state that the violence would be reduced in the future, and Evelyn Lozada mentioned that she is now “reflective” of how her behavior is perceived.  Even Tami Roman changed her tune, explaining that she is not a bully and would walk away from the negativity.  This likely fueled the speculation that the show’s producers were getting nervous and sending the ladies out in public to clean up their image.

Click the video below to hear what Dr. Boyce Watkins has to say on the issue:

53 Responses to Cancelled? VH1 Reportedly Cans ‘Basketball Wives’

1. sad black woman

June 6, 2012 at 4:38 am

these women are a disgrace to all black women ! they all have money they all are suppose to be “celebrities” and instead of using their fame for good and showing us young black women how to be independent and be strong role models they are just a bunch of ghetto bullies who wanna fight and act a fool!!!!! I will never watch this show again! and to say they have children, what do they tell their children “do as I say not as I do” or I’ll kick your ass?!?!

2. reka

June 5, 2012 at 2:34 am

With this show being cancelled, what will this accomplish? Will it stop all the negative images of black woman? I viewed the show only as entertainment & try to show a positive black woman image to my daughter, instead of my tv doing it for her

3. Peggotti

June 1, 2012 at 4:32 am

If Basketball wives is cancelled they should cancel all of them baseball wives mob wives etc. I notice the shows of white women beating up one another and cursing one another is getting more frame than basketball wives. I liked it myself everything they put on TV is not peaches and cream Tammy character bought a lot of attention to the show and all these self made so called christian women may have so much to say but I gurantee they like the show it helped a lot of other shows get picked for reallity TV it’s showing real life I have black females in the federal governement act worst than basketball wives on TV I had to file a complaint with EEO against them black female are awful period with nothing else said keep it on it might help somebody!!!! If you want to hear more about how they act check me out it should be a motion picture.

4. monica

May 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm

This is a free country therefore if u dont like something on t.v,change the channel. i love basketball wives. true,they are pretty hot tempered. the thing is, there are lots of other celebs who are just as hot tmpered. they just try to hide it. its a reality show, should it be fake? hell naw! i love and admire all the ladies on the show accept Susie. she is an instigator and scarey as hell and i love Tam and Ev. they are real and upfront, not fake or phony. it is what it is typa chics!

5. vms

May 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I hate 2 C the show cancelled due to Evelyn/Tammie, bullying and fighting, they should go and be replaced by 2 more Basketball Wives. Tammie was on Wendy Williams show yesterday, and said that she apolized to Keshia, why, cause your daughters were being harassed, due to your studpidy Tammie, so now you want to stop bullying.The damage is done, and if the show is cancelled, remember you had a major roll in the cancellation. I heard you say to Wendy that you will be on another show, Tammieyour reputation is damaged, who picked you(Tammie) to be on any TV show. I will not watch that show as well.

6. michelle

May 30, 2012 at 3:29 am

Not sure why anyone would be upset that tis show maybe canceled. This is the most ghetto mess I have ever seen. Just the fact that they are all stating they will tone it down proves this is not a reality show but one that is stage. Grown “a_ _ women acting like a bunch of ghetto fab fools. I guess it is true “you can take the girl out of the ghetto but you can’t take the ghetto out of the girl” Why can’t we have more positive black programs.

7. Erica

May 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Im thrilled that there is even talk that it will be canceled. In fairness, I watched it as well,for laughs, but as this season begin it just seemed dried up and pointless. And the incident with Tami &Keisha crossed the line. After watching that, I made up my mind to NEVER watch another episode. I felt like it was childish, like watching kids, playing tricks on ppl, bullying someone who cleary doesnt want to fight back. Really?? at 40ish years old with children of your own..Grow up! If there daughters were treated in the mAnner in which they treated her they’d be ready to go to war. And understandably so. What are there daughters supposed to think of them. Grown women acting like young minded fools….so sad.

8. Saddened Black Woman

May 28, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Wish it was cancelled! Tami needs to stay off twitter, the internet, and her face and ignorant behavior off the big screen! It’s sad when women and especially black women behave towards each other in such a way. I’m not surprised, however. Is it just me or does anyone else remember Tami from the second season of MTV’s “Real World” in the 90′s? She was nothing like she is now. Definitely wasn’t so “hardcore?” She was a liar and took a joke that was ON CAMERA with David from the show, exaggerated and got him kicked off the show..

9. Davchi

May 26, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Black women are going all out to act ignorant as they can so their image can be qualified by not just their own race but others too. Most of them are just the “baby’s momma” and getting paid any way any how is the ultimatum. How has screaming and holering and calling each other derogatory names entertainment? Jerry Springer spawned new forms of BS that sells,

10. Feed Up

May 26, 2012 at 5:11 am

I am happy that finally it is seen that just because something stirs the pot, doesnt mean it controls the pot. Both Tami and Evelyn need to be replaced. I don’t think that people like Royce or Keisha or even Jen for that matter should be punished by not receiving a paycheck because of these two bullies. No one is talking about Suzie mess starting behind. She is always the cause of drama and always manage to go unscathed; she needs to go too.

11. Blaze

May 26, 2012 at 4:45 am

Thank god,most blacks will sell-out for anything!!!

12. rosemary davis

May 25, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Don’t know if it is true or not but I certainly hope so and hope that all of the sponsors are sitting up and taking notice and listen too the voice of the people and realize that their products will suffer greatly if they continue to support shows like this by advertising their products durning the show and of course Evelyn will tell you diffrently but like Dr.Watkins said they will tell them after the reunion show has been shown and not before so good riddance that these hoodrat women can finally crawl back into a sewage where they belong.

13. Danita Johnson

May 25, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I could never get past the fact that wealthy, professional athletes were even interested in these low-life behaving broads. I would have anticipated that some unattainable kind of inner as well as outer beauty would have reflected the kind of women that these men would have been interested in. The behavior of the majority of the women I have seen on Basketball Wives was so appalling that I couldn’t become interested enough to even watch all episodes. The show did nothing positive for the image of professional black people, let alone athletes and their women. I would prefer seeing more positive images reflected of black people when I am being entertained than that kind of trash.

14. Sonya

May 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm

It is sad if the show was cancelled. I’m not sure who started this stupid boycott, but it would be no surprise if it was another “black” person. We are truly crawfish in a bucket. Wendy Williams is crawfish #1. We sit & watch Mob Wives,a showed whose fame comes from there relatives killing folks & so on, we watch the “FAKE” Kardashians, & cheer as they sign even larger multi-million dollar deals all for being #1 fake. I won’t go into the other reality shows & the trash they promote, but we choose to cut off our own foot while the white man pats your dumb black back for cheering on his shows with the same context or worst. Wendy had the nerve to say the show should be cancelled for the fighting & Shaunie has enough $, all the while she up the butt of Beverly Hills House wives, who’s cast members include the owner of a basketball team, now who has more $ the player or the owner. I’m so tired of “US” knocking us for the so-called cause. These women are grown as women who knew the deal when they signed 2 b on the show, if you don’t like it turn your tv off, if you so concerned for your kids stop letting the tv raise them & be the parent you should be.

• rosemary davis

May 25, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Sonya why are you sad that this show maybe cancel are you a lover of violence against women and better yet if you have a daughter or son would you want some other child to bring such violence and hatred and abusive speech against them????

15. t_099

May 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Good riddens to bad rubbish! This just shows you. ANY show will get cancelled if enough people boycott and advertising dollars drop off as a result. Power to the people.

16. Superauntie

May 25, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I am not going to knock anyones hussling. These women need a job. Furthermore,there are any number of Reality shows just as tainted as the “Basketball Wives.” I say check them all out namely:The Mob Wives,Jersey Shore,Housewives of New Jersey, to name a few. I watch these shows,they are scriped. I don’t hear anyone taking about cancelling these shows. If you don’t like the show change the Channel.These women are making money. Don’t hate!!

• Sonya

May 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

That’s what I say, no one is saying sht bout Jersey Shore & they promote more drinking & acting beyond stupid, & sex with strangers, but you don’t her Wendy Williams and her crawfish followers saying lets boycott, no they cheer them on and beg for more

17. coot

May 25, 2012 at 4:05 pm

See how you will get exploited, raped, used, and then they put your face in it, EVELYN and the rest of whomever you call yourselves. SHAUNI is the poorest example of a MOTHER. LADIES you sold your souls and this your fate awaits you. A sheer lesson to all of us.

18. Gina

May 25, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I hope not if you don’t like a show don’t watch it there’s other shows that’s on tv that’s a disgrace and nobody is boycotting those shows jerry springer,maury,the other basketball wives,mob wives,bad girls club,jersey shore,baseball wives & the list goes on

19. DANA

May 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm

PLEASE SHAUNIE TAMI AND EV DONT WANT THOSE CHECKS TO STOP ROLLIN IN.

20. Ana

May 25, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I hate to see our women lose this big money, but they should have shown themselves capable of handling their manufactured disagreements in a more adult manner, and remove those irritants (such as Tami) who clearly was brought into the show just to be a trouble maker and bully. As for Susie she is just there to make sure the mess continues. Why or how she was allowed back into the clicque makes no sense at all. She has no role to play other than “message carrier”. I say give the show another chance to show themselves worthy of the title “woman” and put limitations on the bull***t.

21. Carol

May 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm

GLAD TO HEAR THAT SOMEONE IS LISTENING!!! I HOPE THAT THE BBW/MIAMI CLEAN UP THEIR ACT BEFORE IT GETS TO NASTY….JACKIE IS CRAZZZY!!!!!

22. Ms. Monica

May 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I AM HAPPY, YOU SISTERS WHO THINK THEY WERE TREATED UNFAIRLY ARE SO MISEDUCATED. WHAT TAMMY DID TO THAT GIRL WAS CRUEL AND SADISTIC. I SEE WHY HER EX WAS SO HAPPY TO GET RID OF HER AND WHY HER CHILDREN REFUSED TO LET HER REPRESENT THEM. BUT BABY “KARMA” IS SOMETHING. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND! JUST HOPE YOURS WILL BE PUBLIC ! SAUNIE I HOPE YOU GET YOURS ALSO. YOU LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF THIS MESS. IT IS TIME FOR JENNIFER, AND ROYCE TO LEAVE YOU FOOLS. THE WHITE GIRL CARRIES BONES BETWEEN YOU AND SIT BACK AND WATCH YOU FOOLS ACT LIKE ANIMALS. I WISH TAMMY, EVELYN AND SAUNIE ALL THE BAD KARMA ONE CAN REICIEVE.

23. Ebony Goddess

May 25, 2012 at 11:28 am

LET THE CHURCH SAY AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now let’s protest the other shows as well(Maury & Jerry). Let’s be fair people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Cola

May 25, 2012 at 4:43 am

Well if you’re going to cancel Basket Ball Wives….cancel the House Wives too…ALL of Them. Then cancel Mob Wives and Jersey Shore too. Please give me a break. It’s entertainment and you don’t have to watch.

25. Spencer

May 25, 2012 at 4:17 am

Why are we fooling ourselves, the show was actually produced to look like an embarrassing, demeaning, degrading, violent, and outright ignorant display of our worst selves. Everything done was carefully planned, think about it. The cameramen never lost sight of their target: the fight. They captured every moment, from every angle, if Tami and Evelyn would have actually carried out their attacks in the manner they would have us to believe someone would have been shedding some blood or sporting a black eye. Just like a Jerry Springer Show the producers wanted arguments to look real and so these women were most likely encouraged to pull out hair-weaves, throw bottles, slap each other in the back of the head, call each other bit@#$%, tare each others clothing because the producers believed that this would strike gold in the ratings. They even convinced Eric Williams to throw a drink in his ex-wife’s face. In short, everything was orchestrated but they just didn’t think that it would backfire on them. If there is a cancellation in the works it’s only because the gig is up.

26. Prinzez

May 25, 2012 at 3:25 am

I just put my dancing shoes on! And not no “kitten heels” as ev called ones shoes.

27. PROCELAIN

May 25, 2012 at 3:23 am

Why, it beats watching another group of woman fighting and most of the people watch the show for the fights. It stops most of them from killing their kids.

JEALOUSY IS A WRENCH~~~~

LEAVE THE SHOW ON OR TAKE OFF THE OTHER SHOWS. I DO WISH THAT THE SHOWS HAD MORE CHARITABLE WORK AND THEY HAVE BILLS TOO!! ALL OF THE COMPLAINTS ARE COMING FROM BLACK WOMAN, BECAUSE THEY DON’T WANT THE WORLD TO THINK THIS IS THEM. HEY, ALL WOMAN ACT THIS WAY SOME MORE THAN OTHERS AND WE’VE ALWAYS KNOW WHITE WOMAN WILL GIVE YOU A BUT KICKING AND A CUSSING OUT… SO STOP ACTING LIKE IT IS WOMAN OF COLOR. NEXT YOU WILL BE TALKING ABOUT NICEY FOR ALL THE LOVING SHE IS GETTING OR YOU WANT SUPPORT HER SHOW.

• specialk

May 27, 2012 at 3:24 am

Woman means one female. Women means more than one female.

• Noco

June 22, 2012 at 1:35 am

Porcelen, you sound about as dumb as a piece of porcelan. Black women are the most disrespected and maltreated women in the world. And the streotype of the angry, out of control, viuolence over-sexed black woman is continued by stupid shows like this. This is why when black women are raped and abused no one believes it and thinks that they ‘ve brought the assault upon themselves by the images that are protrayed in the entertainment world. at onde time, not too long ago black women had much more pride and dignity then these “new jacks”. What with showiong your ass (literally) in the public to your foul mouths, even around children– it is a shame the depths to which black (and blacks as a whole) have fallen. At one time black women whouldn’t dare even put their panties out on the clothes line–wouldn’t leave out of the house whith their hair in rollers. But now you’all jump out of bed –hair nappy and wearing dirty, funky pajamas and bedroom slippers–to the supermarkets!!!!! This is tyhe imaghe you all are projecting to the world and you are not setting a good example for you children. It tells the males that if you don’t hav e any respect for yourself–why should I have any for you.

28. Life Reflects Your Actions

May 25, 2012 at 3:22 am

I don’t have cable but I read and heard about it everywhere and still advocated for cancellation for the longest time.

I really don’t like that we wait for celebrities(Star Jones in this instance) to voice our intelligent and equally valid concerns as if the idea to ban/change/cancel things originally came into their self-indulged skulls.

It’s like you writing a book about my troubles, presented as yours, and sold back to me, presented as your healing. Messy.

Anywho, the hope that show is one in a line of cancellations. Money is a helluva drug!!

29. Prinzez

May 25, 2012 at 3:06 am

I like who said they were trained like Michael Vicks dogs. They should feel real DUMB. Susie being the DUMBEST. Hopefully this will start the boycotting of the rest of the shows that are worthless. GREAT JOB. POWER IN NUMBERS!

30. MS R

May 25, 2012 at 2:58 am

This is sad…its entertainment people! We live in a world of drama,there are other shows to boycott. Starr Jones is only hating because her gay ex husband is on there occasionally,get a grip.If you dont like the show simply dont watch the show.There it is ,your life made simple with a easy solution.

31. ARNEADER

May 25, 2012 at 2:55 am

Oh no…and I just started watching it.

32. Sand

May 25, 2012 at 2:54 am

Good, I agree!!! This season was simply a hot ghetto mess. Real woman would never sink so low with that petty crap.

33. Warren Lewis

May 25, 2012 at 2:50 am

Hmmm. They cancel BBall Wives, but leave on Mob Wives?!?

Something does not add up.

• Kim

May 25, 2012 at 2:54 pm

That was going to be my post as well. We don’t need to see NO violence like any of these shows. And who cares what goes on these personal lives? We all got our own issues that aren’t even being aired! We see enough on our local news. Murders, robbers,kidnapping of children I mean we are seeing enough with everday sitautions do we have to watch celebrities making money off of violent shows? Come on ya!!!!

34. Mz

May 25, 2012 at 2:40 am

And I guess now the World is a better place.

35. Joyce Gatling

May 25, 2012 at 2:31 am

GOOD! ! ! That garbage does not belong on the air!

36. Joyce Gatling

May 25, 2012 at 2:29 am

Thanks! Garbage like that does not belong on the air.

37. Bren

May 25, 2012 at 2:27 am

Evelyn posted on her FB page that “this story was completely FALSE. They took a story from the YBF and took it completely out of context.”
    I guess only time will tell..

38. Betty

May 25, 2012 at 2:25 am

Thank GOD and let’s keep these ghetto shows and women off the tv.

39. ishmalesings

May 25, 2012 at 1:45 am

Man that’s why we never get shows!…TOO MUCH COMPLAINING! what i suggest is if you dont like something about a show, request a change or make a suggestion…Dont boycott the most popular show we have. Other shows have fights too, i think its an excuse for Blacks to hate on a black show with all the boycotting …straight up hating. I and everybody else are gonna be bored if it is cancelled…..Please stop saying we have no shows and when we get them we boycott them and pick them apart for all the negative. We have to GROW UP!

• Vandellish

May 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm

This may very well be the dumbest comment I’ve ever read in my life. All shows end at some point and this one happens to be winding down too (with a little help). As the article here says the women THEMSELVES have come out to backpedal on their behavior in previous seasons so I can’t understand how you can defend them here. You don’t see people boycotting every show out here but this one really was trash TV at its finest.
      If you really want this coonery to continue I suggest you start your own petition to keep it on the air. Good luck finding supporters and drumming up reasons of why it should stay.
      Bonehead!

• Inesha McCants

May 25, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I beleive that blacks are often portrayed in a negative light! Sadly enough that’s what we support calling it entertainment. But what it really does is show White America that they were right all along. They (Producers) pick the most entertaining, and I don’t mean ghetto because these women are well off, but women with children who have nasty mouths, wild, and willing to lay their bedrooms “secrets” out on the table.

Kids look up to whatever is popular and the bullying that has taken place this season is horrific. Because at the end of the day we are held accountable for the images we portray and the response it will have on the world. So this show should come off the air if they can’t act more responsibly. Tami saying she’s been raped or Evelyn speaking of her missing daddy is no excuse for poor behavior. People can talk without being a victim of physical danger. #SelfControl

• Miss Jay

May 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm

WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM ?

40. Sullyharth

May 25, 2012 at 1:32 am

THANK GOD!!!!!!!! and thank you, Star Jones, for starting the petition in the beginning. this crap should’ve been off airwaves after the first season. THANK GOD! now the unmarried, hoodrats can find real gigs and stop leaching.

41. Str8UpBizNizWmn

May 25, 2012 at 1:31 am

some loyal groupie just informed me tht on Evelyn blog, she stated it was a fake story, not 2 believe. I hope Evelyn is makin this up coz I want it off 2!

42. Bernice

May 25, 2012 at 1:29 am

GOOD, and let this be a lesson for ALL others thinking people want to see them bring their behinds on tv only to show their asses!!

Peace!

43. carol

May 25, 2012 at 1:17 am

Glad to see them go!

44. Michelle

May 25, 2012 at 1:09 am

I stopped watching a season ago. Glad to hear this!