[adrotate block="1"]

Michael Eric Dyson Calls Out “Sexual Rednecks” in the Black Church

It appears that author Michael Eric Dyson is pulling no punches as he and Al Sharpton work to persuade Black America to support President Obama’s announcement in support of gay marriage.  In a recent appearance on left-leaning MSNBC, Dyson called out Roland Martin, author Sophia Nelson and Pastor Jamal Bryant for promoting what he refers to as “sexual bigotry” from those in the black church who do not support gay marriage.

Calling out author Sophia A. Nelson, Roland Martin and Pastor Jamal Bryant, who in an exclusive for Newsone said that he felt “jilted” by President Barack Obama‘s decision to show his support for marriage equality, Professor Michael Eric Dyson, filling in for host Ed Shultz on MSNBC, said that religion often cloaks bigotry and was the equivalent of being a “sexual redneck.” In the wake of his provocative appearance, we find out that “Twitter beef” isn’t just for kids as Dyson and Nelson get swept away in the phenomenon over Nelson’s religious stance on marriage equality.

Dyson, as he predicted in his Twitter timeline yesterday, went ”HARD on black homophobia and the moral hypocrisy of the black church.” See below:

After being called out by Nelson on Twitter for his “attack,” Dyson had this to say:

“I think each of you believes that being gay is a “sin” — which in my mind is the first problem. Second you believe being gay is a “sin” on par with adultery and all the other sins in whose league its often mentioned. I think that’s problematic and antithetical to the ethic of love [of] Jesus’ teachings. Third, I think there is a blindness — an inevitable bigotry — in the belief that being [LGBT] by definition makes you a sinner. Since the bible has been similarly used to condemn blacks and women, just substitute black for gay and think how unacceptable is the notion that black folk are by definition “sinners.”

via Michael Eric Dyson Sophia Nelson Roland Martin | Breaking News for Black America.

Read More At JustKhaotic

25 Responses to Michael Eric Dyson Calls Out “Sexual Rednecks” in the Black Church

1. E

May 14, 2012 at 6:18 pm

THE STRUGGLE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE IN AMERICA IS NOT COMPARABLE TO THE GAY STRUGGLE BUT IT IS STILL A STRUGGLE. AND IT AMAZES ME HOW PEOPLE WHO WERE AND ARE DONE WRONG CAN SO EASILY DO THE SAME THING TO OTHER PEOPLE. TO USE YOUR FAITH TO LOOK DOWN ON ANOTHER PERSON YOU CONSIDER AN OUTSIDER BECAUSE
    OF YOUR FAITH, SHOULD BE A SIN.

FOR ALL YOU BLACK WANNABE CHRISTIANS, IT SHOULD BE A SIN TO HAVE KIDS YOU DON’T TAKE CARE OF, IT SHOULD BE A SIN TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE OR TWO BABIES FATHER OR MOTHER, IT SHOULD BE A SIN TO HATE YOUR SELF, IT SHOULD BE A SIN TO HAVE NO EDUCATION WHILE SPENDING $2000 FOR A WEAVE, IT SHOULD BE A SIN TO BLEACH YOUR SKIN AND IT SHOULD BE A SIN TO IGNORE YOUR HISTORY.

BEING BLACK AND GAY IS CONSTANT TORTURE. EVEN FOR GAY PEOPLE WHO AREN’T FEMININE. IT’S TORTURE AND I DON’T THINK PERVERSION IS WORTH TORTURE. PEOPLE ARE SIMPLY TRYING TO LIVE THEIR LIVES.

SIMPLY PUT, DON’T HIDE BEHIND YOUR RELIGION TO JUSTIFY YOUR BIGOTRY. U ARE A HATEFUL BIGOT!!! OWN IT…JESUS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT…

DR. DYSON IS CORRECT IN HIS ASSESSMENT. THE FACT IS BLACK PEOPLE WHO HAVE MANY ISSUES TO RESOLVE SOCIALLY, ECONOMICALLY AND POLITICALLY NEED TO FOCUS ON WHAT REALLY HURTS OUR COMMUNITY: FATHERS AND MOTHERS WHO DON’T REALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR KIDS.

2. Kim

May 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Books are read for Information but the Bible is read for transformation. Washington is none of our answer. None of them can do the Job that is needed for any of us. Keep your hope and faith in Jesus Christ – He and He alone will make it right for anything you are going through! Amen. Our black leaders (so called – leaders shall I call them) Needs to read from Genesis to Revelation DAILY! PATHETIC is how I shall title all of them! None of them has helped me and mine, or the masses for that matter, they pick and choose situations to make the nation feel they are doing something, none of them would respond when I written to thier offices, none of them shall I ever patronize or trust ever again! NONE OF THEM! You DIG?????

3. Mzztee

May 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm

It always amazes me that people who don’t believe in Jesus and don’t know the Word of God try to use the Word to support their views. If Mr. Dyson knew the Word of God, if He knew the Jesus of the Bible, he would know that God says homosexuality is a sin. This truth is objective and is independent of whether or not Mr. Dyson or I or any other person believes it! It’s true because God said so and that’s what matters! I pray that Mr. Dyson comes to know Jesus and that he grows to understand and agree with God.

4. s'ann

May 14, 2012 at 3:24 am

Dyson should apologize for the derogatory insults he made simply because he takes a different position on the issue. I thought it was really interesting, too, when the minister raised the issue of polygamy, Dyson was at a loss for words. If you can believe that.

5. Spencer

May 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Just the mere fact that we are arguing or debating about something that is so obviously unnatural has me in a state of confusion. This is no joke, I believe that the world is truly coming to an end. The anti-Christ is among us right now.

6. mozlyric

May 13, 2012 at 9:39 pm

My bad it’s Man/Boy Love

7. mozlyric

May 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm

SELL OUTS! SELL OUTS! SELL OUTS!

The Image of the Divine Creator is being erased from the Earth. Who will listen? Who has eyes to see? We have reached an all time low as a humanity, when we don’t need mothers and fathers to raise families and illuminate the Image of Creation. Instead mothers and mothers, fathers and fathers will suffice.

Who has heard of such a thing? There is a much larger agenda here that many don’t see and don’t want to see. I don’t believe in Jesus or any man made religion. But I do believe in Spirit, as did my ancestors and the divine Essence. I don’t need a book to tell me actions that are anti-life.

The homosexual couples (including relatives) that I have observed throughout my years almost ALWAYS imitate the feminine and masculine principle in their relationship. In other words, one takes on the feminine role, one takes on the masculine role. Why? Because that is what is natural. You rarely see to manly men together, or two feminine type women together.
    The black church is not alone in condoning this taboo. Many indigenous frown upon this practice (who are NOT christian base) because relations between men & men/ women& women defy logic and are in essence not BIOlogical. Simple.

To compare to the a sexual choice or desire to the vicious dehumanization of black and brown indigenous peoples around the world is unintelligent and ignorant. And scapegoating blacks or the black church into this political ambush is cowardly.

Black people are the original seed on the planet. And we have our share of illegalities, violence, and “sins” against our Cosmic Parents. But that does not change our original plan and that is to be priests and priestesses on this planet….to reflect the divine light of the Cosmos here on Earth.
    Wake up black people. We have reached an all time low. There is no place else for us but to look up. Don’t jump on the banwagon of this homosexual, emasculating agenda of alien spirits that abhor true LIFE.

Google MANLOVE, and see the underlying agenda that is stirring in the shadows of degradation. These fools want to the right to pursue minors!
    We will put our stamp of approval on this as well? Will we sacrifice our children to MOLECH? Even white folk are standing their ground on this one.
    Stop taking a back seat to profanity. No matter how much we try to assimilate into their program, their agenda is to extinguish our PRESENCE from this EARTH. That’s why Black love is diminished in multi-media and we are literally being whitewashed. They want a piece of us, but they don’t want all of us.

We are the Children of Zion, sun kissed gods and goddesses who are cut off from our parts.

Get it together black people. Time to clean house and stop defiling the GOD in us. Stop letting the profane enter into our gates. If WE RISE against our own profanities (LIKE STOP going to EDDY LONG’s CHURCH), it will put a fear upon this Earth that man has not seen.

WAKE UP!

8. charles mcghee

May 13, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Mr. Dyson has the same thing that everyone else has, an OPINION”. Personally whenever I hear him he talks as if he has the answer to ever problem that ever existed; so, I have come to the conclusion that all he has is an opinion, nothing more nothing less. I don’t know what Black people he’s leading but I’m not one of them I’m sure most people myself included are capable of forming their own opinion also. His opinion is just heard because he’s part of the news cycle, doesn’t mean he right.

9. onmyway2012

May 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Black civil rights and gay rights will never be the same and I do not support the president on this issue, not dyson, jackson, and sharpton. Yeshua said many well hate him because we believe in him. I will never support gay marriage and I resent the manipulation by gays. They attack our faith and religion, and feel entitled.

BLACK CIVIL RIGHTS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AS GAY RIGHTS.STOP PIGGYBACKING ON OUR CONTINUAL STRUGGLE FOR OUR EQUALITY.

Funny how the media wants to now link slavery of our African ancestors to gays. It’s absolutely abhorrent and I’ll never, ever support gay marriage after this latest smear campaign.

If President.Obama.keeps this up, he’ll lose more of the African American vote.

10. HASSAN HARTLEY

May 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

The phoniness of the heteros on this article who have posted is insane. You all are using Dyson’s reference to black suffering as an excuse to vent what you really want to say…you REALLY want to say, “I hate faggots! You all are sick and disgusting and I hope God kills all of you!!!!!!!” But like the cowards you are, you won’t come out and say THAT, so you hide behind the comparison to vent your obvious hatred of the LGBT community. As far as $60,000 vs. $40,000 gays vs. blacks salary, what is the source for that???Odd how you asses don’t cite one source but want to quote a “statistic”…what is the median for BLACK GAYS AND LESBIANS? I bet its lower than $40,000.

11. elrancho2

May 13, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I don’t believe Professor Dyson was in any way “comparing” the evils of slavery, to bigotry against gays. They are incomparable and I’m certain he is fully aware of that – but he was exposing how the bible has been used in both scenarios by those who seek to justify their bigotry and / or racism.

I am very glad that he has spoken out in the way he has because somebody has to. This element of denial and hypocrisy is hugely detrimental to the black community. Burying one’s head in the sand is not going to achieve anything except to create yet another stumbling block for black gays and lesbians, who have more than enough ignorance to deal with, without having to face yet more coming from within their own community. You have the power to love. Use it. Support your gay brothers and sisters, and their right to happiness. Don’t let anyone succeed by “dividing and conquering” because that’s exactly what they’re trying to do.

12. The Motown Sound!

May 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm

@Shereen hart: You have a narrow and UNINFORMED mindset!! The issues are different in scope obviously, but the root cause of the “confusion” for both issues is DISCRIMINATION BASED ON THE MAJORITY’S DISTORTED BELIEFS AND MISGUIDED VALUE SYSTEM, especially when FACTS are left out of the thought processes!!

13. Makheru Bradley

May 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Then look at any statistic discussing inequality in 2012. — Epps

Such as a median family income of $60,000 for homosexuals vs $40,000 for Afrikan Americans.

• The Motown Sound!

May 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Clarify your statement on homosexual income….do you mean “all” homosexuals or white and edcuated homosexuals?? And, you can’t ignore the fact that Black income is depressed due to the deleterious effects of discrimination in jobs, edcuation, housing, and finance……when you have systemic barriers operating in concert, complaining about “behaviors” of poor blacks is mute!

14. Darrell Johnson

May 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm

We pick and choose our sin for the time and era…being racist, stealing, lying, and murder are all sins…gays just happen to be the latest victims of a racist society…peace!!!

• The Motown Sound!

May 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Very true….however, the “social” conservative movement is all about protecting economic priviledge, modifying the constitution to soldify that priviledge, modify state laws to reinforce that priviledge, portray minorities as unacceptable to the majority to live next to. It is a unique southern phenomina with cohorts in other regions of the country…..

15. David

May 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I’m not sure if people are born gay or not; however, I do feel(I have no problem being wrong),that there is/was some type of physical/emotional abuse that took place at an early age to open the “Pandora’s Box” so to speak to being gay.

After living in the Bay area, California for twenty five years, I’ve known many women that were gay/bisexual, and in all the cases, they were abused by a male or female trusted family friend, when they were young and couldn’t defend themselves. Also, some of the women were physically abused by ex-husband/boyfriends. I personally dated four women in my life that considered themselves bisexual – two of them were abused by their mother’s boyfriend at a young age, one by a female baby sitter when she was six years old, and one who wasn’t abused physically, but grew up in a household where her mother was in a same-sex relationship with another women(learned behavior).

I do feel that there is a gay political agenda for people to say they are “born gay” to gain political clout. By saying your born gay versus a “life style choice”, there is a better chance of having various laws past in their favor to gain political power.

I’ve heard people say, “I knew I was gay/different since I was three years old” – well I can’t remember where I put my car keys 20 minutes ago sometimes.

In addition, I feel that if you draw a pie chart, their will be some people that are born gay with more X/Y chromosomes, some that were abused emotionally/physically at a young age, some that grew up in a same-sex house holds(learned behavior) and in the world we live in now where we see gay themes everyday – life style choice.

In conclusion, the same rule applies to gay men. Ask any gay/bisexual man, and if he is honest, I believe he was abused when he was young or turned out in the prison system – “gay for the stay”.

With that said, I do not believe being gay is a sin. God loves us all so why judge others if they are happy.

16. Kim

May 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

If its not Biblical, then it is sin. THe hell with what society thinks it’s all about what God says. These so called leaders who claim to be preachers of the word are so faulty of the word. Much respect has been lost to all of them. AMEN!

17. Stephen Maglott

May 13, 2012 at 10:09 am

The struggle for civil rights did not end with the end of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960’s. I think Michael Eric Dyson does a good job in not comparing oppressions, but in drawing distinctions. Are racial civil rights and gay civil rights different? Most definitely! Are racial civil rights and gay civil rights alike? Most definitely! It seems that those Black ministers who cry foul do so because they are being portrayed as today’s Bull Connor’s. But as long as they insist that some American taxpayers should be treated differently than other taxpayers, that is an accurate comparison. They are on the wrong side of justice and freedom, and the wrong side of history.

18. DeepEntity

May 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I’m not homophobic or against gay’s but people shouldn’t compare the gay fight with slavery. The stories of slavery that America has given you is just a watered-down version. Homosexual’s were probably the first people at the slave auction to purchase black adult’s and children to molest. The Bible is suppose to be God’s law and he made Adam and Even NOT Adam and Steve. For Gay’s to be married under any religion that doesn’t condone such in act is just wrong, but I do believe with the Aids epidemic that gay’s should have some type of legal union between each other maybe by federal or state law’s but it wouldn’t have anything to do with the Church.

• GiGi53

May 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Darrell, Motown and David, I can relate to your comments, thank you.
      Somehow I’m still surprised when I see folks who are still judgmental and use the Bible as a crutch. The truth is folks seem to pick a scripture to focus on at the time. Most of my young life I was a Jehovah’s Witness, everything was wrong, dancing, music, participating in sports etc. I met a boy on the block that was different (girlie) and I was afraid of him because I thought he had a demonic spirit but we became friends. Through our friendship I learned that people are born gay, and they are threatened, laughed at, kicked out even beat and killed. He passed away from brain cancer not aids. He was my friend. After all of his suffering at the hands of people who believe they are living life according to the word I support for him. Take a look in some of these churches the very person marching against may have something to hide. Don’t forget black folks sold blacks into slavery for a profit. If you are Jesus then you can talk.

19. Reneegede

May 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Michael needs to stop.

The Civil Rights Movement and gay rights are so far removed from each other, there is nothing there to compare. Gays were not enslaved for the color of their skin, or even because they were gay.

They’ve never been subjected to socio-economic inequities and that is apparent, especially since they are the ones who own everything from government to Hollywood.

They’ve not been in chains for being gay, nor been sold and kidnapped from other lands for being gay, and they did not go through more than 150 years of discrimination in America just for being gay.

The comparison is not even accurate, let alone correct.

• Terasa Barker

May 13, 2012 at 12:12 am

You hit the nail on the head….THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE TRANSATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE AND GAY RIGHTS. NONE, at all !!

• elrancho2

May 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Are you and Shereen the same person or are you both just copying and pasting the same comment? I agree with much of what you say but I don’t think you should be telling Professor Dyson to stop. I think you may have misunderstood the point he was making.

• kenney dawson

May 13, 2012 at 7:01 pm

that is so correct, why do everyone keep putting those 2 together is like opening a sore that’s trying to heal !