Adidas Releases New Slave Shoes with Shackles and All

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Your Black World

I literally froze up when I saw a new design from Adidas set to hit stores in August.  JS Roundhouse Mids, are purple and gray, with HANDCUFFS that wrap around the ankles.  Yes, I said handcuffs…shackles….the stuff that our ancestors wore for 400 years while experiencing the most horrific atrocities imaginable, most of which were never documented in the history books and kept away from you in the educational system, all so you would be willing to put shackles on your ankles today and not be so sensitive about it.

I laughed when I saw the shoes, because I already know how many people are going to say, “Boyce, why are you overreacting?”  There is always a group of negroes who are more than happy to resubmit themselves to slavery.  In fact, commercialized hip-hop culture teaches black men everything they need to know in order to guarantee their own self-destruction (stay high/drunk, carry a gun, sleep with every woman that moves, remain uneducated and waste your money).  We follow instructions very well.

First, we get to watch black kids shoot one another over $200 Air Jordans that cost $12 to make.  Then, we get to watch people stand in line for a week to buy a pair of Air Yeezys.  Now, we get to watch black men willingly put shackles on their ankles because they think it’s cool to do so.  T’his is even worse than when Red Bull held a basketball tournament where free men would play against one another at various prison locations around the country.

When I see the shoes, I also think about the ankle bracelets being worn by far too many men who are affected by the mass incarceration epidemic that the White House says nothing about.  The black family has ripped itself apart because so man of our fathers, brothers, husbands and sons are locked away in prison, leading their children vulnerable to all the horrible things that happen when the man of the house is not away.  I am offended by these shoes because there is nothing funny about the prison industrial complex, which is the most genocidal thing to happen to the black family since slavery itself.

As they say, “an educated mind makes you unfit for slavery.”  But Adidas, like Nike, understands that there are plenty of uneducated minds that are quite willing to go along with this kind of ridiculous stuff.  You won’t see me or my kids wearing any of this stuff, and I hope your kids won’t either.  Chains on our ankles are bad enough; but we must also get rid of the chain on our brains.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Professor at Syracuse University. To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

117 Responses to Adidas Releases New Slave Shoes with Shackles and All

1. work from home jobs Reply

April 18, 2014 at 2:30 am

The more articles you produce of high quality, the
    higher volume of readers you will get and from them you will get more visitors clicking on your link and
    viewing your product. The big question lurking in
    the back of your mind is how do you make money.
    In return you will get a product or trial for free.

2. Learn more about Typist Jobs, Visit the link below. Ad submission jobs are one
    of the most lucrative jobs online today and anyone from just about any country can do them successfully.
    One way to acquire a job is to set up an online profile with a resume that best describes your various skills and abilities.

3. real work from home jobs Reply

April 3, 2014 at 12:00 am

This has also afforded people who could have speech impediments or different ailments to work from the relaxation of their house and now not have someone misunderstand
    who they are. These businesses, however, must seek ways
    to get their name, craft or service out to the public, and keep it
    out there consistently and expected at the lowest cost possible.

In return you will get a product or trial for free.

4. Real Work From Home Jobs Reply

March 27, 2014 at 9:36 am

(This one gets you lots of verbal abuse, but it can pay well.
    For example there is a new blog being started
    every second somewhere in the world. In no time, you’ll be talking to someone who has first hand knowledge of what you are planning.

5. モンブラン 万年筆 Reply

March 11, 2014 at 10:36 pm

モンブラン(ボールペン)ランキング:プレゼントは人気モンブラン(ボールペン)ランキング 2013よりご検討ください。日本最大のプレゼント選びランキングサイト、ベスプレをご利用 ください。200万人以上の訪問データを元にオススメランキングを作成しております。
    モンブラン 万年筆 http://mpeg-laser.org/montblanc.html

6. ガがミラノ時計 Reply

March 11, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Great material. Kudos.

7. エルメス バーキン オレンジ Reply

March 11, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Truly a lot of fantastic data.

8. モンブラン 万年筆 Reply

March 11, 2014 at 4:10 pm

別に引っ張る程のネタバラシでもないんですが、実は、モンブランボールペンとは、モンブラン社(MONT BLANC社)が扱っている高級ボールペンのことで、ボールペンだけではなく、時計や万年筆など、様々な種類があり、その品質は価格に見合う最高級の逸品といわれている代物です。
    モンブラン 万年筆 http://www.iryo-hp.jp/montblanc.html

9. This website can be a stroll-via for all the info you wanted about this and didn抰 know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you抣l definitely uncover it.
    ティファニー ネックレス 人気 http://bbmetalarts.com/sale/tiffanynecklace.html

10. ray ban outlet Reply

March 11, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Delicious – and also make a wonderful liquor!

11. オークリー サングラス 偏光 Reply

March 11, 2014 at 1:43 pm

レビューで送料無料◇代引手数料無料◇ギフト包装無料オークリーサングラス OAKLEY oo9163-05 FAST JACKET XL(ファストジャケット XL) アジアンフィット ジャパンフィットBROWN SUGAR/VR50 GOLD IRIDIUM &CLEARブラウン系スポーツ サングラス …
    オークリー サングラス 偏光 http://bakertimberproducts.com/data/oakleyoutlet.html

12. コーチ 財布 レディース Reply

February 19, 2014 at 5:46 am

I enjoy checking your internet site. thnx!

13. cross ボールペン Reply

February 10, 2014 at 8:44 am

Appreciate it. Ample knowledge!

14. รองเท้าส้นตึก Reply

January 7, 2014 at 9:06 am

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your article seem to be running off the screen in
    Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with
    browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
    The design look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon.

Cheers

15. Insomemaze Reply

December 30, 2013 at 8:55 am

It’s a new day! Moving into the future, check out The BlackMan(State of Emergency)on youtube, this is where we are going. Peace!

16. Taj Thompson Reply

December 27, 2013 at 7:22 am

Mission accomplished off the market in the country we live in

17. Pingback: Adidas Accused Of “Promoting Slavery” With Shackles On New Shoe | A Black Girl's Guide To Weight Loss

18. Pingback: Adidas Cancels Controversial “Shackle” Shoes After Slavery Comparisons | ELITIST.com

19. Pingback: Adidas Under Fire for Promoting Slavery With New JS Roundhouse Mids Athletic Shoes

20. Pingback: Shackle Shoes Cancelled By Adidas After Uproar

21. Pingback: Adidas Cancels Controversial “Shackle” Shoes After Slavery Comparisons | Celebrity Gossip and Photos

22. Pingback: Adidas Cancels Controversial “Shackle” Shoes After Slavery Comparisons |

23. Pingback: Adidas Withdraw JS Roundhouse Mids “Slave” shackle trainer after race row. « fboisclothing

24. Pingback: Slave to the Shoe? | ashley.aviyah

25. Mariah Reply

August 13, 2012 at 12:50 am

The Js Roundhouse Mids are cold they
    sweet this is the 21th century
    Get over the cuffS
    Its The STYLE

26. Anon Reply

June 29, 2012 at 10:02 am

Offensive? Yes. “modern day slavery” no, not at all. First, no one is forcing you to wear these shoes, in fact they are probly very expencvie. Second it’s pretty racist of you all to assume that the only people who want basketball shoes are African American, would it still be racist if a white guy wore these? Your so reay to cray racist that your willing to make huge leaps of logic.

• Chad Badchkam Reply

December 24, 2013 at 8:50 am

Dude… I can totally agree with you. :) The amount of symbolic understanding and mutual sense of agreement is overwhelming.

27. birkenstock Reply

June 25, 2012 at 9:51 am

28. Guy Fawkes Reply

June 23, 2012 at 1:11 am

Holy f**k you people are stupid. These shoes are stylized art. What if some brand released shackle bracelets? Would it be racist because some slaves back in the day also wore shackles? Shut the f**k up, this isn’t racist at all. What’s racist is negros “banding together,” which ironically enforces the racial divisions you seek to destroy. I’m so tired of hearing all these blacks saying they’re profiled and mistreated (especially the Trayvon Martin group). For example: black people k**l white people everyday. But the second a white person kills a black person (no matter the circumstances), you people get up and arms and call it racial profiling. So shut the f**k up, and work on turning the dumbass hood rats that give black people a bad name into productive citizens.

29. I'm not black but I'm not white either Reply

June 23, 2012 at 12:48 am

Wow.

God, why do blacks have to be so racially sensitive against the stupidest s**t?

If any black people were offended by this design then they are selfish bigots. The world doesn’t revolve around them, sheesh.

I didn’t think about slavery at all looking at this. What’s so f*****g racist about shackles?

What? Is racist to put shackles on prisoners now? Is it racist to arrest black people?

ANYONE that is offended by these shoes are the racist ones. Your minds have been tainted. Not being racist means NOT recognizing the differences between races or thinking that one race is more superior than the other.

When I looked at these shoes I had NO thoughts about black people or slavery or racism. My god the ignorance in these comments…

Also if you call ME racist for pointing out the ridiculousness of the outrage towards these shoes from the black community then you are full of yourself.

God bless.

30. Snoopy-chuuuu Reply

June 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Seriously people? That’s so hypocrite…where do you think is made the computer you are typing from? And who is making it and how much do they get paid and in which conditions are they working? Plus have you asked yuorselves: who makes the clothes you are wearing now and why are they so cheap? Because they are made by slaves…nooooo afro-americans who buy Nike, Adidas, Puma and tons of other brands to be trendy, get shocked by a stupid gadget attached to a pair of shoes….Hypocrites! Especially all those rappers who complained but are promoters themselves of the bigr brandas which exploit people.

31. Pingback: Adidas Cancels Controversial “Shackle” Shoes After Slavery Comparisons - Hollywood gossip, celebrity news, celebrity gossip

32. Tomas Reply

June 20, 2012 at 8:48 am

Now how could they even think of selling shoes in the first place?! To my knowledge slaves worked barefooted, so producing, selling and even wearing any kind of footwear is showing disrespect for people that were enslaved 400 years ago.

Let us raise our fists and STOP WEARING FOOTWEAR right now!

• quill Reply

June 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

HaHa! Sounds good to me. Nothing like the feeling of walking across the lawn barefooted on a hot summer day.

33. Cuban Pete Reply

June 20, 2012 at 7:55 am

Some talentless recoprding artist will wear a pair, especially now they are not being released, just to see the outrage on small minded peoples faces. And all the controversey will boost their record sales further.
    Well done Dr, you have contributed to the demise of lyricism in Hip Hop and the dumbing down of a generation.
    Slightly more important than some toy inspired shoes.
    Choose your battles wisely.

34. Cuban Pete Reply

June 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

Is there such a thing as ‘too pro-black’?
    Maybe.
    Maybe everythings a big conspiracy against black people. I mean everything. I thought that way of thinking had been parodied too many times to still happen these days and attitudes were a bit more relaxed.
    Maybe not.
    Are Adidas wanting to enslave a generation?
    Not really.
    Maybe they are just a talented (toy inspired) designers idea of a cross between My Pet Monster and a sneaker?
    Pretty much definitely.
    I think as a designer Im just a bit disappointed in the reaction to a great concept. I know why of course and the history involved but its a shame.

35. Lisa Reply

June 19, 2012 at 9:39 am

Adidas as well as other brands are part of an agenda. Do you honestly think that writing to them to complain will make an ounce of difference? I think not! I have twin boys and I do not buy any expensive branded clothing for them. They wear Gola, a quality and reasonably priced trainer which I grew up wearing. Do something worthwhile with your hard earned money people!

36. BlacknProud Reply

June 19, 2012 at 8:12 am

Wow Boyce, you must be doing something right because you got alot of dumb@ss racist and some either uninformed or downright ignorant Blacks on this blog who too bad was not taught or didn’t bother to learn factual history. Those who do get it, we’ve got to find a way to break this air of ignorance and self hate!

37. Bob Morris Reply

June 19, 2012 at 6:34 am

I fail to see the direct connection between a stupid style design for a shoe and the colour of one’s skin. Maybe the convicts that were sent to Australia in the 1700s and 1800s should be offended too ? Lots of people have had to wear leg shackles over the centuries and guess what … they were not all black!!!

Why does everyone always use the “race” card or “bigotry” card every time someone does not like something?

If you do not like them, DON’T BUY THEM.

38. D Reply

June 19, 2012 at 5:59 am

What is sad to me is that the author didn’t do his own research when it came to posting on the shoe. Jeremy Scott idea was based of the cartoon/toy My Pet Monster from the mid/late 80′s GOOGLE IT…. as a Proud Howard Alum this type of argumentative writings is what is remaining to set us black folks back and keep the cycle of racism going. Shame on you for not doing just a little more research before coming to conclusions Dr. Boyce Watkins.

39. Hetal Reply

June 19, 2012 at 4:31 am

Have any of you outragees heard of My Pet Monster? The late-80′s toy/cartoon that directly influenced Jeremy Scott’s design for these Adidas shoes?

Here’s a link from well before Dr. Watkin’s misguided outrage was posted above: Adidas Jeremy Scott × My Pet Monster

Good to see you addressing issues in a knowledgeable manner, Dr. Watkins! (sarcasm)

40. Meriyama Kebe Reply

June 19, 2012 at 3:34 am

Am I the only one who doesn’t view this as racist. There are children getting r****d of their shoes everyday. If I pay $350 for some Addidas, I want to protect my investment.

41. Dale Salisbury Reply

June 19, 2012 at 3:00 am

Guess what? Slaves did not wear tennis shoes, so good Doctor, I
    don’ understand how you make a connection to slavery!
    Please explain.

42. Dale Salisbury Reply

June 19, 2012 at 2:58 am

Guess what? Slaves did not wear tennis shoes, so good Doctor, I
    don’ understand how you make a connection to slavery!

43. AZ Reply

June 19, 2012 at 2:48 am

Ok, I saw these shoes on the Fox News website and coincidentally there was a video “vicious attack caught on tape” on the same page, a must see!!

After viewing the video of 3 black males viciously attacking a smaller young white male, I realized the shoes were designed not to revisit slavery but to keep your “kicks” from being stolen. It’s too bad people are still pulling the “race” and “slavery” cards and simply ignore what’s actually going on today. Get off your reverse racism high horses and get over it!!

44. Maria Reply

June 19, 2012 at 2:28 am

I absolutely hate these…funny thing is, if they are available for purchase before July 4th, there will be some young girl wearing these hideous things with hair dyed and nails polished to match the orange for the neighborhood block party and/or picnic! How can we send a message to Adidas to let them know this is not OK?

45. John Johnson Reply

June 19, 2012 at 2:06 am

I am calling the f**kers tomorrow to complain. Here is their info:

adidas North America

Portland, OR 97217
    USA
    Phone: +1 971 234 2300
    Global_Public_Relations@adidas.com

47. TJ Reply

June 19, 2012 at 1:32 am

I am having trouble understanding what the black community see wrong with this….just think outside of the box instead of always playing the race card…not a d**n one of you were ever a slave..that s**t has been over for a hundred years…now if you think outside the box and quit b******g you can do what I am going to do….BUY THE SHOES…..for my wife then I am going to shackle her to the headboard with them….peace out!

48. blacxkcobra Reply

June 19, 2012 at 1:28 am

HEY someone find Paul Mooney and ask him what he thinks bout these shoes and make a joke about them, cause I know one dam thing if I see a black man buy a pair I’m kicking jazz on site and let be on CNN, and Adidas thinks this is cute a shoe with a shackle on it I bet they won’t think its funny if we start burning these in the street, Ill buy a pair and burn them and take the back for a refund, and they ask what happen to the shoe ill tell them that slavery over within the black community and all over the world with all races, so go buy a pair set them on fire and take them back for a refund and say we tired of the bull OK OK OK

BLACXKCOBRA//PRINCE OF THA UNITEX STATES

49. quill Reply

June 19, 2012 at 12:28 am

Am I the only black person that didn’t think racism when I saw these? (They are b**t ugly that’s for sure.) Glorifying the prison life type of thing, yes. Yeah, some of my ancestors lived in bondage, but people have been wearing shackles as for thousands of years…people of all races. Some blacks are just looking for a reason to cry racism, the problem is racism is alive and well on both sides. Its makes us look bad and just breeds more hate. I’m not saying forget the past, that’s part of who we are and I’m proud of who I am…(just as a white man should be proud of his ancestry also) But people have got to stop holding it against white people today, they weren’t there…my white neighbors didn’t own slaves,and I wouldnt hate them if I found out their ancestors did. Screaming racism at every little thing isn’t doing anybody any good. We as a race need to stop our racism also. Always remember the past and who we are, but for God’s sake knock that chip off your shoulders and stop dwelling on it. White, black, latino, etc. all have the opportunity to stop all the hate and stereotypes. Lets get it started and make the world a better place for our children, shall we?

• Cuban Pete Reply

June 19, 2012 at 10:31 am

Wow! A voice of reason on here.
      And from a black guy no less lol
      You have restored my faith.
      Maybe im not the devil after all.

50. Pingback: The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Adidas Faces Backlash Over “Shackle” Sneakers, Kanye West Designs for Dion Lee Again, and Behind the Scenes of Azealia Banks’s Liquorice Video « The Fashion Bomb Blog /// All Fashion… All the

51. Garrett gregory Reply

June 18, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Must we go back to pangea? Sorry guys but when the continent divided, the only thing that differed in human beings residing on this earth was skin color,all areas of the earth had the same natural resources in abundance, so please tell me why in Africa did the people sit in huts for thousands of years and not make inventions, not mine ore, not smelt into iron and steel? One simple fact; the race did not move and evolve as fast as any others,infact it didn’t “move” at all im sorry but this is a fact.
    sincerely,Garrett Gregory email and we can talk
    email:garrettgg@yahoo.com(email to talk)

52. Winghunter Reply

June 18, 2012 at 10:17 pm

53. Mike Reply

June 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Listen up you blacks; stop being so racist. You’re trying to find some way to complain when there is no reason for it.

First off, other races buy sports shoes; if you think it’s a market for only blacks; YOU’RE being racist.

Secondly, you all b***h about slavery under the white man. Where do you think those slaves were bought from? African Slave traders, who were also black; just like you.

Third, you think you’re the only people to suffer through slavery? Every race has, of course half of you that post here wouldn’t know a thing about s*x trafficking.

So straighten up and act like people not monkeys.

54. JM LaLi Reply

June 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Like black people still won’t line up to buy them?

That is all I have to say.

55. Eduardo Reply

June 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Charge that with new shackles the Credit card.

56. Steve Reply

June 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Like the article says. Too many fall pray to the society that is delivered by their own hands. Every one is born free. How you spend that freedom is up to them. If you find it offensive that there are more blacks than whites in Prison systems around the world. Step back and take a poll.

57. jeff ellington Reply

June 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

worthless company that uses slave labor(3rd world)
    to make products, then sell to missguided BRAINWASHED GANGSTER WANA-BEE youths who buy the slave shoes….why are you upset…they have been selling slave-made shoes all along for YEARS and now because it’s shackled shoes you folks are upset now…WHY NOW INSTEAD OF YEARS AGO..SUCH HIPOCRITS….PS would you consider the website “YOUR WHITE WORLD” a racist org? of course you would………

58. messiah obama Reply

June 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

All you have to do is read the vulgar and racist comments here, along with an utter lack of proper English to know that YOU bring this on yourselves. Quit acting like criminal thugs and maybe you won’t be thought of that way. Lazy welfare parasites.

59. Connor Reply

June 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

You know what i think is too bad? The fact that it is only African American’s who are outraged over this. Black slavery as we know it really only began in the 1600′s with the British Imperialist era. Before that the majority of slaves were of fairer skinned ethnicities, with the exception of the American Indians once the America’s were “discovered”. Slaves came from all races, generally gained as the spoils of war. I believe that those who aren’t African American’s need a history lesson so that they can understand that their ancestors were enslaved as well. Perhaps then they could empathize…

• Cuban Pete Reply

June 20, 2012 at 7:48 am

Of course I can empathise with slavery. I dont think anyone on here thinks slavery is a good idea.
      The point is these shoes have nothing to do with it. Nobody k****d up a fuss about My Pet Monster when it came out.
      The argument on here seems to be only black people wear sports shoes so it is a direct attack on them.
      The Dr is just stereotyping people to help his paranoid argument.

60. Kate Reply

June 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

You know what’s uneducated? Always trying to claim Slavery was only a black thing. The Rock & Roll lifestyle is also about getting high, sleeping around and spending money. Kids need both parents, but horrible things happen to kids while both parents are in the home. Most mob bosses come from two parent homes. There are many great single mothers and fathers who raised great kids. I would not buy those shoes because they’re ugly and not my style, not b/c I believe they’re racist.

61. Dara Reply

June 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

God, your arrogance is off the charts. You really think Adidas – a GERMAN company – had any thoughts about “African Americans” or slavery (which originated in AFRICA and Europe) when they designed a pair of shoes?

When’s the last time you saw slaves in shackles in the USA – oh that’s right, you have NEVER seen it, because it was 150+ years ago!

Get off your high horse. ALl it does is make you look like the ignorant one. Find a REAL issue to whine about. Use your voice to tackle REAL problems.

Oh, and people (black, white, and any other color you want to fixate on) are in jail because they broke the law. Not because of shoes.

• BlacknProud Reply

June 19, 2012 at 7:57 am

@Dara, your comments shows your lack of knowledge, total arrogance, and ignorance on subject, and if you’re Black it’s even more sad! Do yourself a favor before you make such uninformed comments.

• Cuban Pete Reply

June 19, 2012 at 10:52 am

Yeah cos if she’s not black she ‘wouldnt understand’obviously.
        If people can get over situations (cheating wife for example) they are actually involved in (you were not a slave) when are black people going to, not ‘get over’slavery, but think rationally.
        I have spent a long time trying to convince people with the reverse racist mindset of some of the people on here that I am a decent human and not a white devil, sometimes successfully. All because of the way they have been taught to think, possibly combined with some actual racism.
        Dara is right. I bet no-one at Adidas, rightly or wrongly, realised any racist connotations to these shoes. And why would they. They are based on a toy.
        Its good to know your history but dont let it totally dictate your life now. Some of my ancestors were vikings but i have never raped or pillaged. If I designed a tshirt with a viking on I wouldnt expect rape victims (who had actually been involved in the outrageous act) to be outraged by it.

• Cuban Pete Reply

June 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

OK, I was stretching it with the viking comparison but you get the idea.

62. wobbles Reply

June 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm

If it was on a set of workboots we wouldn’t even be having this debate because so few black people seem to feel the need to work for a living anymore. You want chains? Real chains that make you into a real slave? Keep accepting welfare and other government handouts instead of standing up like men and working to make your place in the world. Handouts are the new slavery. They are designed to keep blacks and other minorities at the bottom and it has worked beyond the wildest dreams of the politicians and social engineers who champion them.They didn’t have to take away the dream, they bought it with a few hundred dollars a month.And now it’s so institutionalized that black america has grown addicted to the point they can’t conceive of making their way with the sweat of their brow. So many think “working is for chumps”, while they spend their government slave wage handouts on stupid things like these offensive sneakers.There is no heart, no drive, no will to succeed anymore but for an ever decreasing few who keep their pride instead of sell it to the government in exchange for not having to do anything difficult like work. Wake up before it’s too late.

63. SoCalM Reply

June 18, 2012 at 7:04 pm

DR Watkins, I agree with just about everything you have said in your article. The majority of the comments obviously support your opinion of Adidas and their new shoe. What I do have trouble trying to understand is why Blacks today still blame all their problems on slavery and what happened over a hundred years ago. Why do blacks blame everyone else for being incarcerated, when they commit the crimes? As you said, they are killing each other, avoiding education, and fathering children and avoiding responsibilities. Isn’t it about time blacks take responsibility for their own lives and stop blaming others for their bad decisions? A couple of years ago we did a documentary on black gangs, and talked to a lot of young gang members. Most of them had no idea who their father was, or they were in prison for some crime they did. Now it’s a shoes fault.

64. A man. Reply

June 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I like that it’s implied that only black people wear sports shoes by the people who are offended. I’d say that’s more racist than any perceived racism here. :P

65. yourwhiteworld Reply

June 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

The true racists show themselves. NAACP, Congressiaonal black caucus,yourblackworld.net. Instead of being americans, you will always be african-americans. Disgraceful.

66. Jessie James Reply

June 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm

The brothers will look good wearing them. Where can I get a whip?

— Memories, light the corners of my mind —

67. messiah Reply

June 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm

What a RACIST website

68. Taylor Reply

June 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm

The funny thing about all of this is that even though people are relating these shackle shoes to slavery, there are probably quite a few young African Americans that will buy them & wear them proud. Look at the other stupid stuff they wear not only insulting other races, but their own as well.

69. O Boy Reply

June 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Get Over yourself thats all have to say about if you dont like them, then dont BUY them… Stop living in the past and move on…

70. John Reply

June 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm

did anyone think maybe they are looking at the BDSM groups & this has nothing to do with slavery.. wake up there are other uses for shackles..

71. Mrs. Johnson Reply

June 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I completely agree with your thoughts on this issue but PLEASE proofread before you post! I mean no disrespect but unfortunately incorrect grammar can take away from the message you are trying to convey.

“The black family has ripped itself apart because so man of our fathers, brothers, husbands and sons are locked away in prison, leading their children vulnerable to all the horrible things that happen when the man of the house is not away.”

See anything wrong?

72. Alex Reply

June 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm

So black people are the only people that have ever been enslaved? Pretty much every race has been enslaved at some point BEFORE black people and none of them are crying about it. so put the race card down, typical, everyone else sees prison/chain gang, black people see slavery – typical

73. Mark Reply

June 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm

So how is it that every chain is related to slavery? Even the marketing campaign is pretty much the complete opposite.

My favorite part of your article was where you said that the prison system is one of the most genocidal things to happen to black people since slavery. And why is that? Granted, you can fall back on the being a product of the environment you grow up in and being from broken homes, but that doesn’t MAKE people commit crimes and be arrested. The black people in prison aren’t innocent of their crimes. They are there for a reason, just like the whites, Mexicans, and whatever other ethnicity is residing there. So it’s not a g******e because no one is making them go to prison. They have the choice to not commit crimes and avoid “g******e” as you put it.

• Mark Reply

June 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Oh, and I do agree these shoes are ugly as h**l, but that isn’t the topic we are discussing here.

74. Fig Newton Reply

June 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm

All Day I Dream About s*x = ADIDAS Now they are dreaming of having s*x with a slave. These folk must be on some good drugs. I am going to send a shout out to ADIDAS about the shoes and pray that Black people are intelligent and more respectful of themselves wherein they will not buy the trash.

• bubbajones Reply

June 18, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Black people are more respectful of themselves. Ever heard of Gang Bangers, or crackheads, or prostitutes, or rap music, or ho’s, or calling themselves the N word, or, or, or……

Get real. Black people hate themselves.

75. CHANELIT Reply

June 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Are we dumb enough to were them? is the question.

• UncleRemus Reply

June 18, 2012 at 9:51 pm

You’re dumb enough to not know it’s “WEAR” instead of were.

Further, the actual slavery of welfare and government handouts would seem to be a bigger problem. You’d think that people would care more about getting their children to read and write, and not commit crimes that earn the a pair of real ankle bracelets, vice what some company is selling.

Take a look at Chicago and Detroit: you’re more likely to go to prison than graduate highschool and 50% of the adults are illiterate. It is only fitting that the populace in these cities will probably be responsible for buying a sizeable number of these shoes.

I’m thinking of buying Adidas stock to get some of my tax money back come August.

• CHANELIT Reply

June 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Excuse me MUTHAFUCKA for making the mistake of spelling the word wrong. You s****y son of b***h…you don’t have to be nasty about correcting me either. Now, you can correct me, go f**k yourself, and kiss my a*s!

76. La Reply

June 18, 2012 at 2:44 am

I too have sent an email to Adidas to let them know we will no longer buy any of their products or support any company or Athlete they are connected to.

Who is JS Roundhouse or Jeremy Scott and who does he play for?

77. LeneaFerguson Reply

June 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Why can’t you have a little more faith in your african american community that they know these things already and are intelligent enough to make the right decisions. Don’t be a preacher be a teacher.

78. TXgoldengirl Reply

June 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I have just sent an email to Addidas. I hope that others will do the same. Thank you Sharon Morgan for providing the contact information. Thank you Dr. Watkins for making us aware of this degrading product by Addidas.

79. pamisjaming Reply

June 17, 2012 at 7:30 am

Adidas is wrong for this! However, people can’t tell other people what they can spend their money on. But I hope that if a fool a*s person does buy these shoes, they have the smarts to break the chains off and throw them in the trash. I personally would give Adidas one red cent for this disgraceful sore-eyes of a product. No matter how distasteful the shoes are, there is always a dumb a*s sucker out there that will buy them. SMMFH!

• pamisjaming Reply

June 17, 2012 at 7:33 am

Corrections: I would not give Adidas one red cent.

• La Reply

June 18, 2012 at 2:56 am

Hopefully they have the smarts to not spend their money on this in the first place! Buying it then throwing away the chains??? is even more ridiculous because it makes the fool rich! BLACK PEOPLE, BLACK PEOPLE, PLEASE educate, your kids, families, communities and those lost Blacks!

80. James T Kirk Reply

June 17, 2012 at 4:49 am

Here is some info on the designer and its release.

Jeremy Scott x adidas Roundhouse Mid “Handcuffs”
    Purple/Silver-Orange
    G61099
    August 12th, 2012
    $350

God willing these will never be produced

81. greyeyedgirl Reply

June 17, 2012 at 4:41 am

IF I SEE A PAIR OF THESE ON DISPLAY, I AM LIABLE TO SET THOSE m***********s ON FIRE!!!!! AND TELL ADIDAS TO KISS MY BLACK a*s!!!

• CHANELIT Reply

June 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm

LMAO!!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL, I KNOW THAT’S RIGHT! LOL!LOL!LMAO!!! THIS IS FUUUUU-NNNNNY

82. Nadine Reply

June 17, 2012 at 1:44 am

Shame, shame, and more shame on Adidas! Not only is their new line of shoes degrading it is also reprehensible that they would think that it is okay to put these on the market and not cause a major disruption in our society. I am just curious to know what race the designer is and what their ethics, morals, and values are. Apparently they have very little of them. To try an influence our youngsters in believing that it is okay to wear such an item is downright disgraceful. Thank you Sharon for the info on Adidas. I will be sharing this info and be proactive in objecting to this line of shoes coming out.

83. Cynthia Reply

June 17, 2012 at 12:27 am

Thank you for saying the truth as always.

84. Steven Rowles Reply

June 16, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Boycott!

85. head Reply

June 16, 2012 at 8:03 pm

thx brother boyce THX! keep up the good work I love your logo:Be strong blessed & educated.

• Steve Reply

June 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm

What is “THX”? Oh, its A theater surround sound system developed by George Lucas INC. Did you get one for applying to this add?

86. Marva Queen Reply

June 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I can’t say to much positive for what you are about to do. We have lost so much of our children to your ways of making them think that buying into the culture which represents going back to slavery and thugs and gangs is so “cool”. I pray for you that keep this up> Karma for you all one day will be a “B”.
    Black children wake up an realize they are using you for there pockets not yours. Once you start wearing them, they will just sit back as usual and smile!!!

87. Erica Canada Reply

June 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Are they gonna send some to our President?!!!!!

• greyeyedgirl Reply

June 17, 2012 at 5:14 am

If they do, I hope he BURN them!

88. Erica Canada Reply

June 16, 2012 at 6:00 pm

For real I was gonna say, humans aint s**t, but corporations and capital gains aint s**t. I wish there was a judgmental vengeful God.. or if there is, They realllllly hate black people… Or they really love us and they testing us to f****n d***h. I can’t much more of this bullshit.

89. Shinning Star Reply

June 16, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Dumb, really dumb. And all of the black people working for adidas thought it was ok just as long as they were getting a paycheck every week. We need to play Roots other month to remind everybody about our history, ya think?

90. Lynn Reply

June 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm

A gym shoe with shackles? Unbelievable. Unbelievable, but understandable: American corporations in certain industries benefit massively from “the miseducation of the negro.”

Adidas should be taken to task for this — by black athletes, and by anyone who recognizes the affront this shoe represents to black people in general and to black youth in particular.

91. Sharon Morgan Reply

June 16, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Every African American parent needs to send Adidas a message = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CONTACT:
    adidas AG
    Social & Environmental Affairs
    World of Sports
    Adi-Dassler-Straße 1
    91074 Herzogenaurach
    Germany

EMAIL: sustainability@adidas-Group.com

• George Geder Reply

June 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Sharon,

Thanks for taking proactive steps in supplying an address in which to lodge our disgust and complaint.

I’m on it.

• John Johnson Reply

June 19, 2012 at 2:19 am

Additional info:

adidas North America
      adidas America, Inc.
      adidas Village
      5055 N Greeley Avenue
      Portland, OR 97217
      USA
      Phone: +1 971 234 2300
      Global_Public_Relations@adidas.com

• Susie Stanford Reply

June 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Thank you, Sharon Morgan, for that contact information for Adidas company. I have already sent my disapproving comments.
      Also, thanks Dr. Watkins, for bringing this despicable item to public attention and especially for making that company rescind the release of that item for sale.
      When we stand together, we are strong.

92. Donna Reply

June 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I can’t do anything but shake my head, this is modern day slavery and if anyone buys into this, it’s official that we’re headed down a deep dark road with little or no recovery from it. People, please wake up and don’t support this product!!!!!!

93. We Need Solutions Reply

June 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm

boyce, you’re are right!

but merely complaining will do nothing to unite us to stop the disrespect towards black people.

you’re in a leadership role, therefore please give some solutions to move us into action i.e.

a solution would have been to put the email / physical address of addidas at the end of the article…asking everyone to send complaints to stop the shoes from being sold in august.

• Janelaa Comegys Reply

June 18, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Come on brothers and sisters! WE need to move on. As long as WE let every little thing them white folks do to make theyselves rich make it is about racism and slavery, we is spending our energy on them and not on US!!!!

Prisoners since the iron age wore them shackles. Slaves wore them. White and black prisoners in chang gangs wore them.

It ain’t about slavery. As long as we have anger in the past, we sill never live in the present or improve ourselves for the future.

Look at Obama. He still blamin Bush, and I still don’t got a job. Blamin the past don’t work. We NEED TO move on!!

• gege Reply

June 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

I don’t get it.

The guys aimed at this shoe models usually wear baskets and raise one of their pants, in order to remind people about the times of slavery.

They clearly show a symbolic chain, and this is explicit.

I understand making this chain actual and visible can shock, but why does it?

I would like to make sure most people just can’t remind the symbolic of their dress code and just behave like others.