Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
by Dr. Boyce Watkins, YourBlackWorld.net
As I think about the plight of the black male in America, I see a lot of reasons to be optimistic and some reasons for pessimism. On the optimistic tip, we’ve got men who are going to college, taking care of their families, living good lives and making good decisions. On the negative tip, we’ve got too many young men who believe religiously in perpetuating negative stereotypes; they listen to hip-hop songs that basically tell them, every single day, to do at least four or five things that could possibly kill them, send them to prison or make them useless to society (get high/drunk, use weapons to kill other black men, have irresponsible s*x, slang dope, waste your money, be lazy, remain ignorant, disrespect women, etc). If you do that long enough, then you’ll surely end up as either an inmate, a corpse or a degenerate. We don’t want our sons becoming any of these things.
To all the parents out there who want their sons to grow up as strong and reliable men, I thought I’d lay out a quick list of things that you should be sure to encourage your black son NOT to do as he grows into a man. I go into detail on these issues in my next book and we discuss some of this in the Janks Morton Film “Hoodwinked” that I am featured in, along with Drs. Marc Lamont Hill, Jawanza Kunjufu, Steve Perry and Ivory Toldson. Here are the things you want to encourage your black son NOT to do:
1) Remain uneducated: Education is the key out of slavery. Remaining uneducated is your key to slavery. ”Nuff” said.
2) Engage in the excessive use of drugs and alcohol: Very few men who’ve stayed high and drunk have ever been all that productive to their communities. Substance abuse has brought down entire nations. Stop thinking that every brother smokes a lil weed every now and then or pops bottles at the club on Friday nights. There are many cultures that prosper because the majority of their citizens are drug and alcohol free.
3) Be sexually irresponsible: A man can’t get ahead financially if he’s got a ton of child support obligations and he’s not a very good husband if he enters his relationship with a long list of venereal diseases.
4) Waste his money on stupid material possessions: Besides being uneducated, another easy path to slavery is to stay broke. Stop giving all your d**n money away to white people for pairs of Air Yeezys.
5) Hang with dudes that are going to bring him down: A man shouldn’t just watch what he does himself. He must also be keenly aware of the actions of those around him. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time has led to a lot of funerals and prison sentences. Remain in situations that are safe, smart and productive. We all absorb the energy of those around us, so being around negative people will only serve to dampen your potential.
These are my thoughts for the morning. Saving our boys is the key to saving our future. You can make your contribution by working overtime to save your own, so reach out and grab that boy next to you. Every killer, thug, gangsta, or deadbeat was once a highly-impressionable five-year old child looking for someone to love and guide him, but unfortunately, every adult around him dropped the ball. Don’t drop the ball on the little boy right next to you. You might be his last and only hope.