Harry Belafonte Calls Out Jay-Z and Beyonce for Selfishness

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, KultureKritic.com

Harry Belafonte, who did a great deal of work for the black community during the Civil Rights Movement, is making no secret of the fact that he’s very disappointed in many young black celebrities when it comes to to social activism.  Speaking this week with the Hollywood Reporter, Belafonte pointed out Jay-Z and Beyonce as prime examples of what he’s talking about.

THR: Back to the occasion of the award for your acting career. Are you happy with the image of members of minorities in Hollywood today?

Belafonte: Not at all. They have not told the history of our people, nothing of who we are. We are still looking. We are not determinated. We are not driven by some technology that says you can k**l Afghanistans, the Iraquis or the Spanish. It is all – excuse my French – s**t.

Read More At Kulture Kritic

24 Responses to Harry Belafonte Calls Out Jay-Z and Beyonce for Selfishness

1. Darlene Lewis Reply

December 23, 2012 at 7:45 pm

The sad thing about this post is that unless you have the financial statements of where the money these celebrities make in front of your computer screen, you cannot state who is doing what. I know for a fact that Beyonce and her mother created a hair salon/school in Brooklyn and people can learn to do hair and cosmetology and make something of themselves. She also was responsible for providing money for irrigation in southern Africa or West Africa. Jayz being involved with the Barclay center has helped hundreds of people obtain employment. We must stop looking for entertainers to be the saviors. They make their money and they can do what they wish. If people have agendas and need financing, they need to put their needs in writing and then submit proposals to individuals. It is not up to entertainers to help and Black people are not really programmed to work financially together as they did in the past, because of trust issues, self hatred and lack of knowledge in the areas of need. I have been promoting free tv exposure for those individuals that want to advertise on my radio show. I even provide a free banner if they do and this will be for one month of advertisment they will get one month of free exposure on tv. I have even reduced my books so that my readers who are predominantly black to be able to purchase. Black people are not into always supporting Black people, and this needs to change. To publicly denounce a power couple that are learning and growing is harsh and the worst case of Willie Lynchness… http://www.futurenetworkproductions.com follow me on twitter doll360

2. Darlene Lewis Reply

December 23, 2012 at 7:45 pm

3. Dover Davis Jr. Reply

August 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Harry Belafonte is correct. JZ is a racist. He thinks that he can redefine words like the N-Word by using it his way.

Words are the building blocks of knowledge and understanding. JZ reinforces prejudice against Black people when he uses the N-Word.

He just doesn’t get it!!!!!

4. bernlaw Reply

August 14, 2012 at 11:32 am

Where are my comments?Are you the real “Phoney”,disguising as real truthful concern americans?You are practicing n**i censorship.

5. Gerelyn Teynolds Reply

August 13, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I agree with Mr. Belafonte that Jay-Z & Beyonce are selfish and they never give back. They use their fans to buy the garbage they promote for their own gains.

6. fred_53_99 Reply

August 13, 2012 at 8:55 am

But harry has always put it one the line for black folks. He did it when times were at the darkest. He ahs freely given fo this talent and money.He is what they aren’t afro centric.

7. bernlaw Reply

August 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Alexander O’neil said it best” You are a FAKE: Kulture Kritic.

8. Celeta Reply

August 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I totally disagree with Ma Fille, let’s not forget who Jay-Z and Beyonce are connected to. Let’s not forget that their talent is prevelant because of our generation purchases their product clothing, and music without us they would not be where they are. So they owe a lot to their misguided fans. We have children who want to be just like these two rich and selfish. I am not proud of anything they have done because a lot of it is Selfish. They have sold thier souls for fame and fortune and no they are fighting like my ancestors when it comes to our black history having a lot of money doesn’t mean anything if you are not educating our children. I don’t need to know a lot about them to know that money is power and power can either make you or break you. I advise anyone to check the or history about the Illuminati you might think it has anything to do with conversation but it does and see who is connected.

9. Ma Fille Reply

August 11, 2012 at 6:14 am

-All their money come from an extremely hard work & sacrifices for years and years…
    -Their images at the top is already very helpful accross the world….an inspiration to every young in the world,black and every communities… such Obama did as president in USA – they inspire success and represent the real hard work and United…without even talking – such the young Gabrielle Douglas did Historic – we can not blame them to not share their money like this or like that – they are free to contribute as they wish and ‘think good’ – we are in 2012…. people change, the generations does, in an other way they make a tribute to our community, in our days it’s way too hard to keep it up… and shining with the racism and discrimination like they do, they are the first black couple to earn that much…they have surely more work and plans, let’s be proud at least they are doing it – we should stay focus on the positive images that they share..because it’s shining down on all of us…and as I said this is inspiration…a Dream for an other generation – Like Beyonce says BeyInspired <3 (excuse my error, my english need works, excuse my French) B.B.

10. bright ashitey Reply

August 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm

kul

11. Max Reply

August 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm

What’s really sad is that most black people don’t even understand what Harry Belafonte is saying.

• Wayne Hazzard Reply

December 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm

@Max, Right on Max!!!!!

• Wayne Hazzard Reply

December 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm

@Max, Right on Max!

• MaryAnn Reply

December 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Max, You are absolutely correct. Harry Belafonte is one of the last of a dying breed—someone who knows what it’s like to be denied simply because of the color of your skin. He has been out there on the front line for years. I think, while chasing equality that was always going to be elusive, we dropped the ball. We failed to teach our children about the struggle–about the nameless thousands who suffered indignities so WE could vote, go to college, have dreams bigger than theirs–on whose shoulders we and they stand. We have lost generations of those who could be leaders because we dropped the ball.

• MaryAnn Reply