Woman Set on Fire by the KKK Still Hasn’t Received Much National Media Coverage

Sharmeka Moffitt has endured an absolute nightmare.  The 20-year old woman was walking through a park recently when three men approached her, setting her on fire.   The woman has suffered burns to half of her body and is in critical condition after police responded to her 911 call on Sunday night.

The letters “KKK” were scratched into her car and the FBI is investigating the case as a possible hate crime.  It has been reported by some media outlets that she was pointed out for the attack because she was wearing a pro-Obama t-shirt.  This hasn’t been confirmed, but it does appear quite likely that she was attacked for being black.

So far, most of the national media hasn’t picked up Sharmeka’s case.  ABC News finally posted something on its website, but to our knowledge, CNN, Fox and the major networks haven’t covered the story.  Thousands of well-wishers have flocked to the “Prayers for Sharmeka” Facebook fan page, which has gotten nearly 20,000 likes, and the creators of the page are stating that they still haven’t seen much major media coverage.

Moffitt told police that the men covered her in flammable liquid before setting her on fire.  The incident took place in Winnsboro, a town in Louisiana.   Moffitt says that the men were wearing white hoods when they approached her, but she could not identify their race.  No suspects have been found as of  yet and the park has no surveillance cameras.

Franklin Sheriff Kevin Cobb described the incident as “a horrific event.” He also pledges to thoroughly investigate the case.

Otis Chisley, the president of the local branch of the NAACP, said that he has reached out to the family and wants to proceed with caution before presuming that the incident was racially-motivated.

It’s prevalent throughout Louisiana,” he said. “It’s hidden but it exists.”

UPDATE: Here

200 Responses to Woman Set on Fire by the KKK Still Hasn’t Received Much National Media Coverage

1. TIMM DAWG

October 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

This is just pure hate and evil. It’s disgust me that people could be so heinous & cruel to do something like this to another human being -Because she wore an Obama t-shirt???…REALLY!?!..WHAT THE FU*K!!!! GET REAL!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???…YOU RACIST ASS SON OF A BITCHES!!! What could this woman have done to you to deserve this?…And what idiot would form his ignorant ass lips to say or even utter that this was anything but a racially motivatd crime?…white hoods!…kkk written on her face! C’MON PEOPLE IT AIN’T ROCKET SCIENCE!!! If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck it ain’t a mongoose!!!…OK!!! To try & say that this is anything but a racially motivated crime is ridiculous & insulting to this beautiful black woman! Don’t piss on my head & then try to tell me it’s raining…BULLSHIT!!!…This ain’t nothing but racist ass honkeys doing the serpents work. To her vendication these racist asswholes will soon have an eternal lake of fire to rest in of their own!!! LET GOD BE TRUE!!!

2. Kerri

October 24, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Maybe that’s because the girl set her own stupid racist self on fire: http://abcnews.go.com/US/louisiana-woman-roils-race-relations-fake-kkk-burning/story?id=17552287#.UIhalMWmErM

3. Chris

October 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

4. mary johnson

October 24, 2012 at 7:52 am

Unfortunately racism initiates more racism….so on an so on. Why would any person; white, green, black, pink, yellow believe they have the right to set a HUMAN BEING on fire?
    It sickens me to believe that in 2012, almost 2013, that we’re still discussing this stupidness? Why not meet someone, get to know the PERSON and then make your decision whether or not that person is someone you would like to be in your life? How bout that? It really could be that simple.
    I live in the South but am from the North. I wasn’t raised to hate (thank you mom and dad) and never experienced the “division” of people till I moved down here.
    Get the “f” over it racists. Your ignorance does not have to be carried on generation after generation. That’s what it boils down to; ignorance. Why not educate yourselves?
    Our President was elected by the people. Like it or not. Why’s he gotta be black or white? Why can’t the man be the man!!!
    Folks don’t respond negatively to dumb azzes when they write anal, uneducated posts. It only feeds their stupidity and negativity. Pray for them. Really – I mean that. They answer to the same man above that we do.

5. Noone seeme

October 24, 2012 at 3:54 am

This is turning crazy … Now there are reports that she set herself on fire!!! Check this out: http://www.aol.co.uk/video/la-woman-may-have-set-self-on-fire-police-say/517515673/

6. lillian. williams

October 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm

READERS, PLEASE OVERLOOK ERRORS IN MESSAGES.SOMETIMES, THE MESSAGES ARE SO UNBELIEVABLE AND IN MY OWN FRUSTRATION,I MAY SPELL A WORD(S) WRONG. IT IS truly making me wonder about
    the media.
    Perhaps, we need all the facts,before the messages are posted.On the other hand, if there needs to be information put out to the public,why does it seem that it comes, so much later. WE read these posts and get angry, frustrated and respond. Then to read that , too often the errors are already causing outcries. Please give us accurate messages.
    It is too much to read and then to find out, that we are praying or speaking out against, what seems to be acts of violence,or even racisim. Can we get the TRUTH?

7. Coretta

October 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Local news reported today girl admitted to lying. She sd she set herself on fire…awful!

8. lillian. williams

October 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I,am starting to wonder about this posts and others.
    I just read this on Your Black world,but then went to another site and within five(5) minutes, another message said the police are saying she did this to herself.I find that so unbelievable.
    Why, would she do such a horrilic thing to herself!
    I do not want to really think too hard about this,but I have to question the vaildity of the report. This is Louisanna.but it is not just that state, it is the state of the mind.
    My prayers still go out to this young women.I wonder, what would lead anyone to set themselves or others on fire.
    This is America! I want to believe in the justice system,I want to be believe that if someone is suffering, to the extent of wanting to take his or her own life, that there is help,before it gets that point.
    I look at talk shows that deal with abuse and violence and women,children and young males and men , who suffer from so many problems.
    Twenty years old,WHY WOULD SHE DO? IF THIS IS TRUE, WHAT PAIN WAS EXPERIENCING, TO DO THIS.
    ON THE OTHER HAND, IF THIS JUST A POLICE VERSION TO COVER UP THE TRUTH,LORD HAVE MERCY ON THAT TOWN
    I hope the truth, will come out and that she receives the help she needs.
    My prayers are still for her recovery and for justice, if this is report is not as it is being written.
    How many are suffering in silence.I wish I were a lawyer or minister, or maybe even a police officer, to help.
    I can only really pray for her and others,but yes, even if what the media is now saying, that she did this to herself,WHERE WAS HER HELP.SURELY, SHE WOULD HAVE GIVEN SOME INDICATION THAT SHE WAS TROUBLED OR FRIGHTENED.
    IT TROUBLES ME SO MUCH, THAT I HAVE TO STOP READING ALL OF THESE POSTS.I DO PRAY AND CONTRIBUTE, AS I CAN TO THE SOCIAL AGENCIES, THAT MAY HELP . TOO MANY YOUNG PEOPLE ARE SUFFEREING.
    WHAT IS THE NEXT GENERATION GOING TO LOOK FORWAD TO, MORE VIOLENCE, MORE ABUSE, MORE HATERED, MORE DEATHS. SOMETIMES, IT IS AS IF WE ARE AT WAR,HERE IN OUR REAT COUNTRY. AGAIN LORD HAVE MERCY.
    TO THIS YOUNG LADY, AND SO MANY OTHERS, WE WANT YOU TO KNOW, THAT “YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS” AND THAT YOU CAN OVECOME. FOR NOW, PLEASE GET BETTER!
    MAYBE,YOU WILL GET TO TELL YOUR SIDE,PRAYER AND CANDLES ARE BEING SAID AND LIT FOR YOUR RECOVERY.
    I JUST PRAY, YOU ARE NOT THE SACRIFICIAL LAMB.
    YOU ARE BUT A CHILD, YOURSELF, ALTHOUGH 20 YEARS OLD,AND FOR WHATEVER REASON, YOU ARE CRYING FOR
    HELP.

9. lillian. williams

October 23, 2012 at 7:58 pm

My prayers are with this young woman.How could anyone even begin to think she would do this to herself.
    My question, is how was she able to call for help and how long did it take for her get it.
    Yes, there def. needs to be an outcry,as with any acts of VIOLENCE against another human being, or even animals.
    I ALSO question, why are so many cases of violence ‘being hidden from the public media.
    Did she get professional counseling.
    I would imagine she is afraid,to say too much.
    I pray for this country,but there is so much hatred, that the words of our Constitution, have almost become a joke.
    In all cases, I pray for those who have been abused, violated in any form,injustices,but sometimes, Prayer, is not enough.
    Lord have mercy and may these ,who did this ,be brought to justice.
    Again, makes us wonder, what is happening to human kindness. I think, unfortunately, the movies and videos and just evil has taken over, in the media and people do things just to see what will happen.
    I can not imagine her pain.
    So, I continue to pray for all. Is there love anywhere Where are the ministers, of this town.Where are the public officials. where is the law enforcement.What are we becoming and to what purpose are these acts being commited.

10. kari

October 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Very sad. Prayers go to this woman. On a side note about Obama though – if you are truly against racism, then don’t vote for someone (Obama) just because of skin color. Obama is half white and not share the same African-American history. He identifies himself with his father’s side – the DEVELOPING NATIONS (3rd world)….When he says he wants to bridge the gap between rich and poor – he is referring to bridging the gap between USA and 3RD WORLD NATIONS. Read his book, “Dreams from My Father” and watch the documentary “Obama 2016″ ………….. By Obama’s standards, everyone in America is “Rich”. He is not trying to help America, he is trying to bring it down while bringing up the 3rd world nations. His heart belongs to the 3rd world, to Africans….to all 3rd world nations…. not African-Americans and not any Americans at all.

11. C S

October 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

It has been reported that she set herself on fire. There was suspicion from the beginning. That why no one jumped on this, they were waiting for the facts.

12. Brynn

October 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

“Being cautious.” PLEZZZ, give me a break, Otis! Obviously, the NAACP is losing it “grip” on the realities of racism and has become weak and fearful. Not only in LA, but in TX, FL, and PA as well. Brutal hate crimes have spread nationally! Yet,the media avoids reporting it because they don’t want to set off racial unrest. But, who is going to speak for the victims of violence! Who?!!! No Justice! No Peace!

13. Brynn

October 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

14. Brynn

October 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

15. troy d

October 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm

It still does and it goes both ways!

16. Cortez

October 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm

F***k all white folks. Don’t trust them. Never have and never will.

17. AMAZINGGRACE

October 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm

This story deserves National Coverage because this sh*t will continue to happen if it’s not brought to light!!!!!! So now we cannot wear what we want because of racist attacking us, What next??? Screw this racist country. They don’t deserve anything but grief for all the crap so many Nationalities have had to put up with…….Let them have their white president, and see if he does not sell the entire Nation to China for a buck…!

18. antionette

October 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

azeleyes10261@gmail.com asked to come here they brought us here to this racist America all jobs being taken away god going to take care of it all!@!@!!

19. Teri

October 23, 2012 at 10:53 am

For all those saying “This should not be tolerated”.. what do you mean? this has been TOLERATED in the U.S. for centuries.

20. SweetPea

October 23, 2012 at 9:26 am

I truly believe that even some white folks had secretly hoped Obama would/could really ‘change’ their conditions for the better. He has done nothing except refresh racism! ‘Blacks’ were not politically sophisticated enough to reject the DCN’S ‘selection’ of an unknown…who stated himself that ‘he’s not the president of black people.’ Sad as all hell…

• Mike

October 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

That’s totally ridiculous! White Republicans were meeting the day of Obama’s Inauguration to develop strategies to oppose anything he does, regardless of whether the country is helped or hurt! Obama was called a LIAR during his State of The Union Address, a first! Then the redneck from South Carolina was rewarded…$1 Million for doing so!!! Divide & Conquer is the Republican/Corporate strategy. Other countries are laughing at the “dumbing-down” of the U.S. What world are you living in??? Obama has tried & tried to bring the parties together, but the Repubs walk out of meetings, basically spit in his face (some Dems too).

21. Derrick

October 23, 2012 at 7:07 am

The media…

M indless
    E vil
    D evils
    I n
    A ction

…don’t want to report this story because this was DEFINITELY an act of HATE and racism! Ikeep telling y’all racism ain’t going NO WHERE! And, you negroids got the nerve to let crackers call y’all racists!!! PITIFUL

Hell, y’all negroids too scared to SPEAK up to these worthless devils, let alone do unto them, like they do unto us?

HATE ON HATERS…HATE ON!!!!

I DON’T GIVE A HUSKY F**VCK WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT ME

• storm

October 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm

And your point is ??????????

• Oldsckoolnyker

October 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm

He has no point. He likes to read his own typing.

He answered his own contradiction! “How many negroids do you see doing this type of animalistic behavior to crackers…NONE! Because their too d**mn SCARED!”

Right how many have you (Derrick) set fire too??

I don’t think Derrick is really black. To make such a statement setting himself apart from his own denoted lunacy!

• Derrick

October 24, 2012 at 2:47 am

@old-cooner:

Far from being a nasty cracker, you white n*gger!!!

The problem is…you wish you were BLACK!!!

You pale, albinoid cracker; the ORIGINAL n*ggers are/were crackers!!!

DIDIN’T THINK I KNEW, DID YA?

• me112233

October 25, 2012 at 6:55 am

Derrick has been plastering these boards with his crazy rants for years. If there was a story about the price of replacement shoelaces in Peoria, Illinois, Derrick could find a way to mention the words “negroid”, “cracker”, and “devils” in his commentary.

22. JANE LITTLE

October 23, 2012 at 1:35 am

MY PRAYERS GOES OUT TO THIS YOUNG WOMAN AND HER FAMILY! RACISM IS ALIVE AND WELL, JUST NEW FACES.PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO PROMOTE WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN OR PRACTICE, WITHOUT OTHER CULTURES TRYING TO CONDEMN BECAUSE THEY DON’T AGREE.ONLY A COWARD WOULD HAVE DONE SUCH A CRUEL THING! SOMEONE WHO IS INTIMIDATED!BY A TEE SHIRT OR A LADY WHO WORE A TEE SHIRT? SHE IS THE ONE WHO CARRIES THE POWER, AND THAT POWER WILL BRING HER THROUGH……

23. Penelope Joseph

October 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm

You have my sincere prayers, for I know this must be a trying time. May God’s blessings be upon you and your family! I will keep your whole family in my prayers!