Bowie State Student Found Not-Guilty after Killing Her Roommate

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

Alexis Simpson, a student at Bowie State University, has been found not guilty after being charged with murdering her roommate, Dominique Frazier.  Simpson said that she was just trying to defend herself when the incident took place.

“I had to defend myself. I was scared,” she said on the stand.

She said that she’d been getting bullied by Frazier and knew that she owned a knife.  The night of the killing, the two got into a fight over music, leading the two women to confront one another.  Simpson said that she pulled out a pocket knife and swung it, with Frazier being hit in the neck.

A friend of Simpson’s, Keaira Johnson, took the stand on behalf of her friend.  She said that she saw the fight on the night it took place.

“Dominique hit her when the girl had the knife in her hand. I think it just happened. I don’t think the girl meant to cut her,” Johnson said.

Simpson says that the attack happened in self-defense.

The stabbing incident at Bowie State reminds me of a fight that one of my daughters had with her roommate.  Like a lot of young women, they were fighting over clothes, iPods or some other meaningless material possession.   My daughter called and gave me her version of events and I just listened.  I then assessed the situation, asked if she was OK and helped her to formulate a strategy on how to deal with the problem (I let my kids solve their own problems, and I merely serve as an adviser).

I reminded my daughter that college is a place to learn and build your life.  It’s not a place to fight or get arrested, and it’s certainly not a good place to die.  I also reminded my daughter that when two black people get into a fight on campus, the authorities have no problem seeing BOTH of the students expelled and/or sent to jail.  You must be strategic and intelligent when resolving disputes, and not just resort to “taking it back to the hood.”

When I hear this story about what happened at Bowie State, I get sad.  You start with two promising young black women who could have gone on to do anything.  Now, you’ve got one woman dead and another that could have spent the rest of her life in prison.  The fact that this nonsense occurred over music is even more irritating.

The point is that when you send your kids to college, teach them to avoid confrontation and make smart decisions.   If they are being bullied, they should tell the authorities, administrators or even the police.  An institution of higher learning is no place for this kind of nonsense.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Finance Professor at Syracuse University and author of the book, “Black American Money.” To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

51 Responses to Bowie State Student Found Not-Guilty after Killing Her Roommate

1. truthspks

November 18, 2012 at 8:18 am

Just a few days ago I was sitting in my car waiting for my barber to arrive. I was watching a group of students walking from school through my rear view mirror. Out of no where this girl ran up from behind a another girl who didn’t see her coming and just vicously attacked her knocking her to the ground. The girl that was attacked wasn”t doing any thing to anyone. The girl attacked her in the most violent manner I’ve ever witnessed with the total intent of doing serious bodily harm to her. Had she turned and stabbed that girl to death who attacked her I can tell you now having witnessed this I would have found her not guilty also with out any hesitation. She would have been totally within her right to defend herself. I’m not saying this is the case in this incident because I don’t have all the facts but she does have a right to defend herself.

• Say What

December 3, 2012 at 6:56 pm

So, you just sat in your car and watched while the other spectators looked on too?

2. truthspks

November 18, 2012 at 8:18 am

3. AL

November 17, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Why to so many African American women attract so much drama in there lives with absolutely no conflict resolution skills

• Barbara

November 17, 2012 at 7:41 pm

@AL……for the same reason Black males attract so much drama in their lives with absolutely no conflict resolution skills.

4. Norma

November 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I was a guidance counselor for 25 years. I also attended a HBCU and enjoyed a wonderful experience as well as an education that I am proud of. My children also attended HBCU’s and are enjoying successful lives. As a counselor, I often recommended HBCU’s to African American students. Many attended, graduated and are living successful lives. So, I am very disturbed to when I read what is happening on many HBCU’s campuses. It appears that students are bringing attitudes and experiences from ghetto communities onto the campus. HBCU’s have a history of providing opportunities for all students to pursue a college education. And that should not change. However, in light of the violence on many campuses, I think that HBCU’s need to take a closer look at their selection process. It’s not just about GPA’s and SAT scores. It’s not just about sports. It should be about the quality of the student! And that means looking at the total student! What indications of leadership are shown through letters of recommendation. What clubs, acitivities,sports has the student participated in. While this is not currently part of the application process, I think a students High School discipline report should be part of the admission process. Employers are now requiring background checks of potential employeees. Why shouldn’t colleges do the same for potential students? I realize that HBCU’s are financially stressed and student recruitment is critical for them to continue to exist. But at what cost? Students being killed on campus??? If things don’t change on some HBCU campuses, they will have no choice but to close their doors for good! Administrators, protect your college by protecting your students! They are paying for and have a right to a good education and safe campus. It is your responsibility to make sure they have that! It’s not just about numbers!!

5. JJ 1913

November 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Sad. The prosecuters are to blame. They did not do their homework in order to charge her with the appropriate chargers. What a sad day for both families.

6. SweetPea

November 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm

This girl gives me bad vibes. I cannot only accept her and the “friend’s” story of self defense. How long was she bullied; how many classes/courses has she failed due to bullying? Something smells fishy here, and I would love to see a photo of the poor deceased girl…because there’s certainly more to this story and subsequent murder than bullying. I could never attempt to study and take courses under conditions she claimed; (carrying a knife in case your own roommate decides to stab you…), BS!

7. Dorothy

November 17, 2012 at 8:53 am

There were several opportunities for a peaceful resolution in the midst of this unfortunate event; sadly, neither of the young women seemed to value themselves – and certainly not each other enough to discover them! We must – as a community -begin to teach our children to value life on every level! This event happens EVERY DAY in some Black or mostly ‘minority’ community! This was no different than a plain ole turf fight…no one ever wins in those; and, inevitably, someone always dies! We deserve better family; let us begin to value first ourselves and then each other…after we accomplish that, we can begin to address some of the tough issues in our family! PEACE!

8. Marie

November 17, 2012 at 1:46 am

You don’t have to kill. Many times when I was a child, I was bullied and got into fights; thank God we didn’t think about using such weapons. We had a cleaned fight and whoever were bruised the least was declared the winner. This young generation as the bible says “wiser” (book sense) but “weaker” (integrity, common sense, and the list goes on). Now, she’s going to have to lived with this tragedy of knowing she took someone life. Not too much help from her Mother stating she allow her children to make their own decisions. My Mom told us the truth (biblically) and we obide by the rules and thank God we came out victorious.

9. MariLyn

November 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

You Had to do What You had 2 DO!Sometimes FATE HAVE to intervene a SITUATION!That Will CONTINUE To SPIRAL OUT OF CONTROL!SOMETIMES WE HAVE To Do things We Don’t Want!THAT’S A CURVE BALL IN LIFE!IT WAS GOING 2 BE YOU OR HER!.THE CHOICE WAS YOU&YOURS!.This Was BOUND To HAPPEN EVENTUALLY.! YES,!A TRAGIC END!.SHE LEARNED THE HARD WAY!.

From,