Dr. Cornel West referred to President Obama as a coward for not standing up for African american children affected by gun violence.

The Black Community has been up in arms regarding the ongoing debate about President Obama’s swift response to implementing stricter gun laws following the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting.

World-renowned scholar and radio co-host, Dr. Cornel West discussed the topic on the controversial “Smiley and West” radio show, saying that Father Michael Pfleger and other community leaders in Chicago have been asking the White House to create stricter gun laws for decades in response to the staggering number of African American children who have been killed via gun s**t wound, but no one responded to their requests. He said he is pleased that the conversation is finally taking place, but he’s disappointed that it is taking place only after a mass shooting occurred on the “vanilla” side of town.

The discussion is transcribed below:

…But it’s a good thing that we now have a discussion on gun control. We need one on drone control. But think of Father Pfleger, Rev. Hatchett, others in Chicago tried to get the White House to talk about gun control. Not a peep. Not a mumbling word when the black folk getting s**t. But now Newtown, CT, vanilla side, low and behold… We have a major conversation. That’s wonderful. Each life is precious, but it just upsets me when we’re so differential.

Tavis asked Dr. West why he believes President Obama remained silent on gun slayings during his first term:

It’s a crucial question. And I think it’s not just Barack Obama, it’s our politicians across the board, across color, across class. They’re either cowards or hypocrites when it comes to this issue of our precious children. By cowards I mean they care but they don’t have the courage to move forward and act. Or they’re hypocrites which is to say they say they care but deep down they don’t care especially when it relates to South Side of Chicago, Harlem, children across the board…

You can listen to the audio here.

Do you agree with Dr. Cornel West?

249 Responses to Dr. Cornel West Says President Obama, Politicians Are ‘Cowards’ for Lack of Response to Gun Violence In the Black Community

1. Timberlin Reply

January 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

If a black man hadn’t slept with a white woman, Obama would not have been born!.

Get over yourselves, this is the new reality!

• Rae Reply

January 30, 2013 at 5:12 am

That means nothing! He is still seen as a n***a!

2. Timberlin Reply

January 23, 2013 at 10:33 am

Okay, Dr. West makes a valid point and I agree with him in theory but i’m concerned that he merely overstates the obvious. What about some constructive ideas to correct the problems?

His tone is very disrespectful and I fear that once again, we are being divided and controlled by the status quo, AKA Willie Lynch. Trump and the tea baggers are probably grinning in their beer! “N*****s can’t get along worth a d**n and if you leave them to their own devices they will destroy each other.”

His points are valid and important but just as important is the need to show unity and love within our race. President Obama represents the very best our race has to offer and should be appreciated and respected for that reason alone. These problems existed long before Obama took office and we should not hold him over the fire while his predecessors get a pass.

I agree that he should be held accountable, but every elected official, black, white, purple should be tasked w doing the job they were elected to do! Dr. West, Tavis, I love and respect you guys not because you’re these great black leaders, but because you’re my brothers.

I’m just an average black Joe, I’m not degreed and people don’t hang on to my every word, but I had to comment. Let’s come together as a race (human), so we can move forward. Remember, the very tenant of the Word is LOVE.

Gd bless you!

3. L Moore Reply

January 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I have no respect for a black man who talks black and what we need to do but sleeps with a white woman. Cornell West looks like a crazy man, acts like an educated fool, and is seriously confused about who and what he is.

4. L Moore Reply

January 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm

5. bahati sobukwe Reply

December 26, 2012 at 8:53 am

President Obama might have many faults, but sitting on his azz and expecting the other fellow to do it-is not one of them. Hint. Hint.

We as a people are so used to tearing down each other that we are entirely comfortable with tearing down OUR President of the United States of America.
    Those of us who are tearing him down are mostly our so called educated ones. However, none of the blacks that know could have pulled off what he has done twice. More, they have not tried, with the exception of Shirley Chilsom, Rev. Jesse Jackson and Rev. Al Sharpton, good tries that they were.

I pity those of you who are unable to appreciate your victory, especially, one of this magnitude and since you have so few victories of this type. Your last one was Martin Luther King. You should have picked up the ball and ran. Obviously, you didn’t. Barack H. Obama did.

You are going to have to wait longer time than the time between Martin and Barack to get another victory or another black president for that matter. Better enjoy this one, unless, you’re waiting for West, Smiley and Watkins to run for President with all of their answers. Pun intended.

6. Lares Reply

December 26, 2012 at 6:11 am

Obama is, in my opinion, not a coward. Just a politician and a Chicago politician to boot. Yes, he has responded to vanilla white killings and ignored the mass killings of black and brown children in our urban ghettoes. Obama is first and foremost a politician who wants to retain the favor of the Wall Street Vanilla monied elite who financed and supported his campaign. Obama, as a politician, caters to the USA vanilla majority. Obama is not a bad man. He’s a h**l of a lot better than Butcher Bu$h. But to think he’s in any way, shape or form the president of the poor, the middle class Blacks or Browns just because he is dark skinned is not only naive, it’ racist. A person is not determined by the color of his or her skin. Ideology determines a politician. Obama sends drones to k**l children in Pakistan. He sends more Drones than Butcher Bu$h ever did. Obama ia not scared to do what he has to do to retain the majority of people on his side. He must ignore the poor, the massacre of poor Black children and respond to the massacre of white kids. He is first and foremost the president of the most racist and warlike country in the world. That he is black is irrevalent. Again, better than Bu$h? Yes. So was Clinton, who is lili white. Are we so racist that we believe that a dark skinned person is necessarily better, will protect our interests more based on the color of his skin? My candidate was and remains Cynthia MacKinny who hasn’t one chance in a million of becoming president as things stand today. Why? Not because she’s black or even because she’s a woman.
    She is for the poor, the middle class and AGAINST the monied elite that dictates who is president. Obama is a Black Man lackey running the country for a monied, white, mostly male, elite. He runs the country in the interests of the 1% who own most of the wealth. The massacre of black children in the ghettoes is not Obama’s. Never was. Probably never will be.

7. Joyce Reply

December 26, 2012 at 1:20 am

West is so full of himself that his ego has blinded him. It has already been stated, paraphrased, “where was West during the White presidential administration?

West touts off his mouth as though he has done something for the Black community as do other opportunist that is Black, THEY HAVE NOT. He wants Black to hear his unfounded rhetoric and buy his books.

While in office Reagan had unemployment at 10.67%, this clown closed bases across this nation causing Black civil worker on these bases to lose their homes and jobs, what did West do, Nothing.

When education was more than appalling for Black student’s k-college, what did West do Nothing? West says many negative things about Obama, which is his right; however, the Black condition started crumbling more following the thought that the 40-million Black are on an equal playing field, not.

Mr. West, whenever he gets his head out of his b**t, should research, read, and then respond. The concern West spews has been an issue for more than 147-years.

He is a disgrace and losing respect from many laypersons and his scholar. Whites love this man because he says aloud what they think and say in private. I wonder how much Whites pay for this puppet.

• Unk Reply

December 30, 2012 at 6:10 pm

It’s always funny to hear political neophites and the ride-or-die Obama supporters give their opinions. Whether it’s on purpose or just out of ignorance, they always seem to lack context. Dr. West has been an outspoken critic of every president from Reagan forward. And I’m starting at Reagan because no one knew who he was before him. When people ask “where was he before Obama” I always ask “where were you before Obama?” You can check Dr. West’s record. Just a few years ago he put out a whole CD that was a total rip of the Bush Administration. The man is always in a protest march or getting arrested for supporting a cause. Most of us were so busy partying and looking at Flavor of Love prior to 2008 that we didn’t pay attention to anything going on politically. Now that we’ve fallen head over hills for a black president, we want to all of a sudden become political pundants in defense of Obama. Please, do some research before you accuse others of political apathy.

8. Pastori Balele Reply

December 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Some African-Americans are jealous that an African-American, not them, is President of US. Remember what Herman Cain said: “President Obama is African-American-I am a Black American and no label of African”. Look an African-American with a degree in Math (Cain) ever went in public with such a statement. Cornel West said: “President Obama thinks he is on top of mountain”. Did you hear Cornel say that when Clinton was president – No. It is jealous some former Black stars are having now. But they had no choice but to vote for their fellow Black person – President Obama. Otherwise they would be slaves now again. Let’s enjoy and work hard another 4 years with Obama as President.

9. Wilma Reply

December 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm

For everyone who has commented here I would like you to go here: (copy and paste this URL into your browser’s address space)… http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=9404.

Watch and listen to Bill Black talk about “OBAMA’s Fiscal Cliff” and start understanding that our violence doesn’t just come from people having guns, though that doesn’t help, but from the VIOLENCE our own government does to its own people in order to make the Corporations and the Rich richer than ever while they use all of our (taxpayer) money to continue destroying the planet with “Wars for Empire” and “Subsidies to the Corporations” to continue RAPING the planet! We are now finding out that these same “Too-Big-To-Fail” Banks, i.e., the people who run them, are DIRECTLY responsible for the crashing of our economy in 2007 and the on-going purchasing of our planet for THEIR purposes. We are STILL giving away FREE money (now close to $40 TRILLION) to the banks, that will nevertheless show up as taxpayer debt, to these SAME banks that have r****d us all of our livelihoods, our savings, and our futures. AND they are NOT using that money to prop up the US but are using it to buy up more of the planet for their own uses! Such corruption could ONLY happen under the corrupt Administrations we’ve had for the last 3-4 decades! It didn’t just happen at the end of the 20th century! And the Republicans are not to blame for the “Fiscal Cliff!” or really any of the rest of it, because WE, The PEOPLE, put these people in power. I voted GREEN in November, voting for a “New Green Deal”. A plan that came right out of the progressive wing of the Democratic Party in 2007, and which OBAMA refused to run on! If we had all had more sense and not fallen for this, stupid “vote for OBAMA because he is the lesser of two evils”, and instead voted GREEN we would be looking at the construction of a new economy built on millions of new GREEN GROWING jobs building the green infrastructure and economy we will never have the chance at now that OBAMA is continuing to shovel all the wealth to the CORPORATIONS who will continue to rape our planet! And if the Trans Pacific Partnership Trade Treaty passes (so far we have managed to stop it with our activism), the Corporations will be stronger than any government on the planet and the game will then certainly be over!

Ask Dr. West who he voted for in the election. I am pretty sure he voted GREEN also!

10. camara Reply

December 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Dr. Watkins,
    I also find it fascinating as well that people take Cornel West side or his statements about the President. However, this gun control did not just started controlling guns has been a subject ever since the Carters, Reagans, Two Bushes, and two Clintons terms. Now why do Mr. West always seem to point the finger at President Obama all of the time? It appears to me that just because this President is a black man everyone under the sun wants to take advantage of him and that is not right. I am sure that the President and other political leaders will get to that position of doing something about the guns in America. But in the mean time why don’t you all who are taking Cornel West side in everthing do something youselves and quit sitting back looking at what needs to be done and do it yourself. This is a shame that you wait this long to put the pressure on a black man and never saying a god d***m thing to the President(s) who was before him, just a shame. You have made me angry because you are not thinking critically or critical thinking.

11. Carl Reply

December 25, 2012 at 4:09 am

If I was white, I would come to conclusion upon reading most of these responses is… We have those Negroes equally divided and quite well conquered. Politicians sell out for the assurance of that next re-election, whether Republican or Democrat. When Father Michael Pfleger gathered in 2011 to remember the gun violence victims in Chicago one of the epicenters of gun violence in America no national news coverage on that.

I have no hope that he has the will to make any significant gun law changes. He wouldn’t even stand up for Susan Rice. I was watching MSNBC, and one of my favorite “Old School” journalist was on.

He made this statement(some of you may have watched this also). The word on the street is that you could roll Obama for his wallet and take his watch. He would a little resistance, but it would not stop you. The journalist stated that he was reserving at this present time, there is concern. You can make your own determination as to what this is.

The fact of the matter is that black life is precious too, and I think that as a people we have a problem when we demonize anyone that stands up for people of color. My divided people truly hurts me.I may have some errors, but you get the thought .

12. DMONEY Reply

December 24, 2012 at 10:42 pm

The problem with Mr West and Tavis, is that they sit in the shadows looking at all the mistakes that Obama makes. Never giving credit for doing anything positive. Obama is not the savior of the black race. They are raging against Obama while the NRA is pumping guns and ammo into major cities. The black community has a problem in the inner cities. Guess what? There are people in those communities that know who is packing, who is killing and who is riding dirty. Parents know and members of the community know. Obama is dealing with a Republican party that hates his guts, soldiers are being killed in the middle east and the economy is in slow recovery. Tavis and West need to throw their hats in the ring in 2016, problem solved.

13. Edward Smikle Reply

December 24, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I do not have to agree with Dr. West position, I have my own and made it known in the publication many time.
    I voted for Obama, just because of who he ran against, if there was any body who I believe would care about black people Obama, would not have gotten my vote.But as they say we vote for the lesser of two EVIL.That is still questionable in my mind.I have not seen or hear anything that Mr. Obama, said or done that impress me that he is a leader or even have leadership abilities.
    Maybe that is the problem, he is not a LEADER.He maybe good at following what he is told to do and say, but lacking in leadership ability.I would like to ask Dr. West, when was the last time he saw a black leader who give a dam about black people?.I express my opinion on black voices every time I get a chance, many may not like what I say, but these are my opinion and I am entitle to express them weather you like it or not.
    There is not black leader out there today petioning on behalf of black people. They are all there for themselves, including Dr. West, Travis Smiley, Jessie Jackson, father and son, Al Sharpton. They will all fall by the way side, because they are insincere.

14. LaVerne Hardin, J.D. Reply

December 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Unfortunately, President Obama is the keeper of the White Man’s House. He is smart and worthy of the position, more so than anyone I have reviewed. However, Cornel West is right. Cornel is not ignorant, are anything negative, he is a brilliant man. He is more than entitled to his observation of what is happen. President Obama cannot, nor can any other president call the shots when it comes to BIG money NRA. Human beings have a price. NRA has money. It is beyond sad that black children are being s**t down daily, and have been for years, and control was not on the front burner as it is now. I am very glad that it is. We are not treated equal. Only God can change this

• black chicago Reply

December 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Ricky Smiley, You told me to go f**k George Bush and to k**l myself. First of all I’m blacker than Obama will ever be. I was born in this Country and my family has been here since 1836. Second of all, unlike you, I have a Master’s Degree, Computer Business, and purpose in life.

Even though I so called made it, I don’t forget where I come from. I see my people dying in Chicago and Obama continue to ignore it. He stayed mute on Chicago for 5 years with 600 bodies alone this year. 26 white people die and he runs to Newton, crying and trying to change the gun law. Where was Obama when blacks were getting their heads blown off just the week before. Blacks and their kids are getting murdered by Illegal Mexicans gang members in LA that Obama is trying to give amnesty to. Obama yes sirs the Mexican groups and tells the black leaders to stop complaining. What’s that?

You don’t see the poor families living in fear in Chicago. You don’t see the h**t of Mothers who have just lost their Children and husbands. I know because my mother was murdered by her second husband in 85. You don’t know what the man did to her. He burnt her with a hot butter knife after tying her up. He then forced a cucumber up her v****a. A few months before she went back to him and he killed her. She told me and my brother to always stay together no matter what. What 9 year old child can understand what that meant at that time. He s*******d her with her bra.

It’s been a cold case since 85. I had the case opened back up because I knew who killed her. The police tell me that they know too but its circumstancial evidence. After 30 years I found the man and I went to his home sitting in the parking lot trying to decide on if I should avenge my mother. The thoughts of my father who raised 7 boys on his on, my grandmother, brothers, and my women’s love made me leave it to god. I was in the army and I saw things that you would have never seen.

So why are Newton’s white families different or more important than Chicago’s black families. Obama went to Chicago to start his political career so why can’t he help us after using us.

My email was to thank u for your response but you responded like a dumb a*s that you are. You wished d***h on me so I pray to God that your kids get murdered the way my mother did. I want you to feel the pain that I felt and the families in Chicago feel. You are a dumb ugly a*s skinny punk. You are a trashy clown and that’s what you made your life doing. You are not funny like Chris Rock. You are the act of a dumb a*s c**n. Your act is silly and you look stupid. I bet you mother was a dumb a*s c**n such as yourself. Did you even know who your dad was? I don’t want you d**d but I pray to God that you have a car wreck and become paralyzed. When your kids die or suffer. Remember what you said to me you dumb uneducated fool. I wish you were man enough to say what you said to me in person … even with your bodyguard because trust me; your skinny a*s would need help.

You rich n****s who cheerlead for Obama don’t need him but the many struggling families out there who can’t afford high price lawyers do. Blacks die, Obama stay focus on Immigration reform. Whites die, Obama gets on TV with fake tears and he forces his agenda for change.
      So you can go k**l yourself, you dumb a*s c**n.
      Use your celebrity status to bring the attention to the n****s under Obama, you, and the whites in Newton who are being murdered.

P.S. d***h and pain to your mother

15. BJ Reply

December 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm

It would always seem like Obama is helping one set of people because no matter what he does he cant win with people like West. How do you respond to ignorance you ignore it? So when people like West talk, black people should ignore him. It is a known fact that when a man is going over the hill he tries to grab on to any thing. Good bye West you have done enough don’t let history record you as a fool. It is time that you realise that it may be better to take a trim than to open you mouth. For it is noticeable that every-time you do your beard gets in the way.

16. Meagen Reply

December 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Obama is not a magic negro. Why don’t all the negro’s that think he does run for some political office and stop talking and do something instead of writing and talking! Do your part! Bring ICE T, DRE DRE, and ICE CUBE

17. Dannyboy Reply

December 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Kudos to Kerry Givens whose initial response is right on!! Dr. Cornel West has aligned himself with Tavis Smiley as “an Obama hater” whose motives are jealousy and revenge!! Both are showing how petty they are and that they will stoop to anything to get back at President Obama for his so-called “snubs”!!

The two of them should answer the question of who financed their bus trip across the country which was designed to pull Black voters away from voting for Obama? Who is really behind these atacks on Obama? Have they become “house N…..s” for some right wing billionaires? No one has confronted West and Smiley with these questions. I’d like to hear their answres.

The two of them need to join Rush Limbaugh and the FOX News crew. They would be right at home!!

• Unk Reply

December 29, 2012 at 1:34 am

@Dannyboy
      Smiley and West told you from the very beginning that AARP was the sponsor for their poverty tour. There’s no big secret there. As for your other comments, I’m totally coonfused by your lack of context. When has Dr. West or Tavis Smiley ever been right-wingers? You charge them with taking money from some right-wing billionaires but no secret right-wing financier would ever pay these guys to advocate for the poor. Rich conservatives could care less about the poor and wouldn’t pay a dime to have someone preach that message. And why would a staunch conservative news outfit like Fox ever have a show with these guys? Dr. West has always had a far left-wing ideology that has no place on Fox News.

Smiley/West haters are so anxious to villify these two for having independent opinions that they will say anything whether it makes sense or not. Politics is a complex thing to understand and too many Obama zealots understanding of the science begins and ends with Obama. If you actually listened to Dr. West instead of trying to clown him for his honesty, you may find that you agree with him. And the only one I see taking checks from billionaire conservatives from Wall Street is Barack Obama in the form of campaign contributions. Does that make HIM a house n*g*a in your eyes?

18. Dannyboy Reply

December 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

19. Dannyboy Reply

December 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

20. Naim S. Muslum Reply

December 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm

A lot of insightful perspectives have been shared. I have not read all of them. Those that I have read generated this pro-active response. My spirit is leading me to say many of us as a people continue to react to the conditions of our people vs being pro-active. I feel that the whole community should consider turning their attention more to the good things we are doing and spend more time making our positive contributions known by whatever means we have. In the town I live in Camden, NJ. it has been generated that it’s one of the worst cities in the country.Yet we have some powerful and I mean powerful grass-root work being done 24/7 that does not get the support of our leaders and media attention deserved. How many other cities like Camden is being used to keep our focus off of the awesome work that’s being done. Yes we need soldiers to deal with socials issues etc. Consider that we have been pawns in his-story long enough. I would like to see our leaders put their hearts together and share ways to grow the work we are doing into larger institutions, initiative, programs, conversations, etc. You want to see violence disappear. This is one of the ways it can be done…. Violence is nothing except for LOVE’s conversation about what happens when we don’t KEEP L.O.V.E. PRESENT(KLP) with ourselves. We are acting like we are mad at other people for doing what they do to us. Well, in a world made up and we don’t continue the work of our ancestors then what do we expect. Whoever you are, wherever you are, with those in your area and beyond, agree on ways to magnify your work and reclaim the POWER of our heritage. A action plan to consider. From the Keyper of KLP….

21. Bee Washington Reply

December 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I am appauled at the comments made by our people against the President of the U.S. It is time for us to be quiet and find a way to make a contribution to make our world a better place. Stop the criticizing of Obama, what have you done lately? Make a contribution and close your mouth. For people like West, Smiley and others, why haven’t you joined with the President to further support needed programs? Since you haven’t and have chosen to sit on the sidelines and complain like spoiled children, BE QUIET.

22. Bee Washington Reply

December 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm

23. Brenda Reply

December 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

How stupid and misguided are we as a people. Scholars like Boyce, Smiley and West are blaming the president for the violence inflicted on black people by black people. These so called Leaders in the black community are asking the president to save us from self imposed hatred, lack of respect for our communities and those of us living in the communities.

The bottom-line is that the solution to our problems are within us, and if we don’t change the way we perceive and react toward each other, we will continue killing our brothers and sisters. Our so called leaders should be focused on offering plausible solutions, not blaming the president for self-hatred and the residual effects. MOSES IS d**d, AND NOTHING OR NO ONE WILL SAVE US FROM OURSELVES.

24. rosemary davis Reply

December 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Talk is cheap there is no soloution to Gang violence or any other killings these murders have been going on for decades and will continue the truth is that we are living in the last days Satan is in control of this world and he manipulate people to committ evil and vile things and there is nothing that any human can do to stop him it’s only by means of God’s Kingdom that evil and wicked people will be done away with and until that happens these killings will continue.

25. Terry Reply

December 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Although I voted for the president it is obvious that he’s pleasing a certain group of people and poor, lower class folks don’t fit. He’s like all the other politicians. He like money, power and forget the people who put me there. This Country will never respect the black community as the white. Laws are formulated from the pains of white not form blacks. Look at the many years of abuse the man and woman have had to endure.

26. Terry Reply

December 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm

27. Ruby from NJ Reply

December 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm

So President Obama likes vanilla children, Dr. West has said earlier. What kind of children would he and his white wife have? I shun West, Smiley and Boyce. Moonhead is right.

28. moonhead Reply

December 24, 2012 at 11:41 am

Sure, Cornell West loves Black people. He loves them so much, that he married a white woman. The same race of people that he claims to hate. West, Smiley, and Boyce are nothing but race hustlers, who make a living inciting Black people to concentrate on race, instead of economic growth, education, and empowering ourselves. The people that are responsible for the killing of our children, are our own people, and these race hustlers, that prey on these communities. West, Smiley, and Boyce, should be shunned in our communities, and have their public forums removed.

• Barbara Reply

December 24, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I too always wondered about those so-called Civil Rights “brothers” who “whoop and holler” about White dis and dat while married to Whites.

Take that Van Johnson man (White wife) Civil Rights attorney. Who is he suppose to be fighting against—his White brother-in-law, White father-in-law?

Vernon Jordon. Even though he was s**t in the back by a White man years ago as he was supposedly having ‘tea’ with a White woman at her home to discuss Civil Rights; still he has gotten himself a present day White woman.

Julian Bond–He has retired to his plantation with his White wife, after having dumped his Black wife.

Rev. Lowery and his White wife. He managed to surface recently to spew out a Civil Rights comment.

Who exactly are these clowns suppose to be leading? Are Black women suppose to line up behind “Ole Black Massa” and chant “git dat White man?” I don’t think so.

29. Ralph Reply

December 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

TV Programs Program. The President is part of a Media Driven Society and most are to blind to see this. Chicago shootings get no press while Newtown Conn got international. Where was West during the Bush Years? He was getting no press. This president has a bully pulpit but refuses to use it because Massa put him there for a reason. So while most of you defend Obama and are proud of him, he is nothing more than part of an oppressive system that continues to step on the necks of the working class.

30. Walter Lipman Reply

December 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Dr. West, and I want Dennis Latham to listen long and hard to what I’m about to say: Dr. West has spent a lifetime speaking truth to power–eloquently and constructively–which, sir, is far more than you have done with your comments here.

It is beyond time for our President to stare down the Republican Party, and to take strong action to ban any weapon capable of storing more than three rounds. Anything else still in public hands ought to be subject to mandatory surrender. After a grace period, there ought to be a 10-year sentence, without parole, for anyone found in possession of a non-conforming weapon. Any second offence should result in life imprisonment without parole.

If we end the asinine “war on drugs”, and release those jailed for non-v*****t sale or possession, we will accomplish two things: first, end a huge injustice to this nation’s black community, and second, free up jail cells for every NRA “super patriot” who will feel obligated to v*****e this new law.

It ought not to matter, but I want no ambiguity here: I am a white man, and I am advocating all of this; it is beyond time to act in this manner.

31. Dennis C. Latham Reply

December 24, 2012 at 10:17 am

west is a pimp – pimping the people’s emotions …. if he was about anything – or any of the other blacks who sit on their high thrones … like smiley, harvey, baisden, jackson and the rest – they would have come together to bring forth a “”BLACK OWNED MEDIA, RADIO and / or TV CHANNELS, NETWORKS AND STATIONS”” that pump out POSITIVENESS ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT – instead of what blacks have now.

On those MEDIA, RADIO and / or TV FORMATS – PROVEN SOLUTIONS COULD COME FORWARD TO HELP BLACKS RISE ABOVE this oppression these uncle tom keeps blacks under.

Don’t come back and tell me to do it – because I’m already doing it – and I get it done without asking for donations – the only donations I ask for is FACTS, PROOFS, TRUTHS and Personal Experiences from THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE A PART OF IT.

@boyce ? you’ve turned a blind eye to what I’ve even tried to show you…
    I’ve shared PROVEN VIDEOS of elected officials and cops breaking the law ….
    but you ignored me – THUS ? I distanced myself from you on FaceBook

Lastly ? There are blacks out there who have PROVEN SOLUTIONS – but they are not able to be heard – because of the current blacks who are leading.

Dennis C. Latham of 1Latham Ministries, Inc.
    1Latham MEDIA, RADIO and TV
    1Latham FORENSICS, INVESTIGATIONS and LAW ENFORCEMENT ….
    Demanding EQUAL AND FAIR TREATMENT TO ALL
    DEMANDING ALL WHO GET PAID BY TAX DOLLARS DO THEIR JOB AND DO IT RIGHT.
    Stop lying to the tax payers and covering up crimes they have committed against us.

32. Dorian Mode Reply

December 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

I agree Obama you got your second term, Its time you helped us. No one is going to give you any smack and even if they do, what’s the worst that can happen. Do something about gun violence,in the inner city,oh yeah and here’s a hint. Gun violence is fueled by the drug trade, just thought that clue would be helpful.

33. Dorian Mode Reply

December 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

• James A Reply

December 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Dorian, who is we and what help do we want? A better job? A better Car? A better house? More food in the refrigerator? A better education? Reparations? 40 acres and a mule? Stop listening to these educated fools and start using some common-sense. It’s not the Presidents responsibility or anyone else’s to provide these things. It’s the Presidents responsibility to create an atmosphere and the opportunity for every American to get what they want and what they need. Cornel West and people like him don’t really give a d**n about Black people as a whole; their only interest is to get some attention, feed their egos and keep Black people confused, divided and dependent.

• Unk Reply

December 29, 2012 at 1:50 am

So let me get this right… When you ignore black people, tell them I’m not the president of black folks, refuse to attend black political forums and can’t speak out against gun violence in black communities, you’re the one that cares about the people and deserves the support of black voters. On the other hand, if you spend your whole career speaking out on injustice, poverty, violence and being a champion for black causes and equality in education, you are a fool, an ego-maniac and you don’t give a d**n about black folks…. Gotcha!

34. charles883 Reply

December 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

Dr. West, keep up the good work. Somebody has to do it and thank God it’s you.

35. Pastori Balele Reply

December 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

Republicans and John Boehner are responsible for the d***h of recent 26 people and deaths in people in inner cities. They are racists and selfish. They are ones for years defunded having more police in schools and in inner cities. If there was a police officer at the school this hooligan would have thought twice how to enter the school. His plan would not have been the same. Same as in inner cities. If there are more police cars patrolling inner cities disarranged people with guns would have to think carefully before going to k**l others. Remember people who k**l others with guns are usually physically weak – they cannot fight physically. That is why they resort to guns. I have said more than once – please don’t vote republican in 2014. John Boehner should go back to run his restaurant and clean the floor once again. Maybe he can do his “Big Cry-BABY” stuff with people eating at his restaurant.

36. Martin Pratt Reply

December 23, 2012 at 9:49 pm

in my humble opinion no one has in Black Leadership with the exception of community organizers in Battle Zones and Nation of Islam FOI and Minister Farrakhan. I think your website/Politic365/Rollingout/Loop21/BlackAgendaReport were the only ones covering the weekly violence in Chicago. As your post about our “Celebs” not speaking out about Black Children Killing each other shows NO ONE in Black Leadership in LAW MEDICINE ENTERTAINMENT(exception COMMON, Kanye West Foundations POLITICS(exception local aldermans) spoke up. Why not say shame on us all? This always point their fingers just singularly makes them seem petty. No one deserves a pass period. Myself and the team i work with at Politic365.com ran a whole week on our site covering the Violence in Chicago we are tapped into DC Beltway did one Black Politician call us? or include us in their newsletters NOPE….crickets.

37. samori Reply

December 23, 2012 at 8:17 pm

What we are seeing here is a double standard of concern, and preferential governing. YES all lives are important. Yes it’s time the discussion occured, but think about how many lives could have been saved and tragedy intervened if political focus was truly concerned about gun control. Think of the fact that these children got their names immortalized by the president in his speech, but so many black babies gunned down go unnamed, and all we have to show are grieving parents, airbrushed t-shirts, murals on neighborhood stores, teddy bears, candles and liquor pouring. Why the difference?