Filmmaker Byron h**t interviewed everyone from activists to chefs to health experts for his documentary “Soul Food Junkies”, and hesoul-food1 was left with the conclusion that African Americans’ addiction to soul food is k!lling them. His film explores this addiction and will premier January 14 on U.S. public broadcasting television.

It seems that the cultural identity of African-Americans is linked to greasy and fatty foods, which African-Americans call ‘soul food’, and although ‘soul food’ may sooth the soul, it slowly kills the human body.

In the film, h**t deals with the d***h of his own father, who died of pancreatic cancer. One of the leading causes of pancreatic cancer is the consumption of fatty foods.

“My father went from being young and fit to twice his size.”

Even so, h**t says he never “really questioned what we ate or how much.” h**t says he grew up on a soul food diet made up of foods like fried chicken, pork chops, macaroni and cheese, potatoes and gravy, barbecued ribs, sweet potato pie, collard greens, ham hocks and black-eyed peas.

“The history of Southern food is complex,” he said. “In many ways, the term soul food is a reduction of our culinary foodways.”

Why do blacks still have a diet high in saturated fat?

“There’s an emotional connection and cultural pride in what they see as the food their population survived on in difficult times,” he said.

But h**t says our emotional connection to these foods is sending African-Americans to an early grave. Tradition and poverty are the main reasons blacks aren’t eating a nutrition rich diet, and are twice as likely to die of stroke before age 75 than other population groups.

22 Responses to Film Which Explores African-Americans’ Addiction to Artery Clogging Soul Food Makes TV Debut

1. Talitha McEachin Reply

December 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I eat “soul food” in moderation but I have changed some recipes to make them much healthier & I don’t eat pork anymore. Simple things like sauteing collards (or any greens you like) with spices & bell peppers is much healthier, very tasty & requires no meat or fat. You have to learn to manipulate your recipes. I also learned to prepare oven fried chicken & cauliflower mash in the place of mashed potatoes. It’s easy & very tasty – our diets are killing us – literally. I do want to point out that it’s not just black people with the soul food addiction, it’s southerners in general, but I applaud his efforts in spreading the message because heart disease is killing black people.

2. Talitha McEachin Reply

December 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm

3. Jl Reply

December 28, 2012 at 8:15 pm

The slave diet. The bible say, If u know better u do better. We still don’t know any better and when u attempt to tell us that this slave diet is not good , we come up with the following; my parents ate it, I like the food, I’m not concern about my health , in some many words , let me continue to k**l myself . Always being a good slave. I don’t eat the waste and when I hear people taking about eatting the food , I shake my head and ignorance is the #1 killer in the Black community . We have no one to blame but ourselves . “Eat to live “!

• clockem Reply

January 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm

go to a black church and you would see all kinds of obesity. a lot of black
      people have no control in controlling what they eat,what they feel,what they
      think,a lot of them just go solo without standards that define a healthy
      life,crime free communities,social unity amongst blacks that is positive in
      difficult moments.all of this based on positive discipline that a lot of blacks
      refuse to master,but a lot of us are very religious people by words,but not
      by discipline.for a people to survive there must be postive control.and
      discipline on every level in a society of that community,without it,it leads
      into obesity,crime,division,desperation,and selling your soul for a few
      peanuts. Morals,standards,honor,and principles have to be set in place in order for a race to survive,without the above i just mentioned,a nation of
      people will be in mental shakcles to themselves and will be vulnerable to other races that live by these principles.black people need to stop calling men and women fine,and attractive when they are obese and out of shape.big and strong does not equate healthy on no liveing day,and as far as soul food,you keep messing with it and thats all your going to have is a soul.

4. Ja'Neisha Hunter Reply

December 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I am so sick of people saying that soul food is unhealthy. Any food can be unhealthy, if its cooked in an healthy manner, like most black folks cook their food. Too much salt, deep frying, and pork.

5. black jones Reply

December 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm

It also depends on what kind of personally you have—your digestion and absorption—— PEACE!!!

6. black jones Reply

December 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm

7. Olivette Reply

December 28, 2012 at 12:31 pm

There are people who have eaten soul food and lived to be 80, 90, 100+years. People have to understand that there are laws that govern everything. If you are going to consume a diet in high fat you must have a life that is very active so your body can burn that fat base on the amount of fat you consume every day. Too much of any thing is not good. there must be balance. There are people who don’t eat soul food and die young and also get sick. It takes every thing, your mental, spiritual, physical, psychological. If you are going to eat fried chicken and you say to yourself that it is bad for you you are telling you body that you are poisoning it and there for the food is going to affect your body negatively. There are people who smoke, take drugs, drink and live long lives, why because when they did those things they enjoyed it and there fore the effects was positive. The mind is very powerful.