Goodbye Soledad O’Brien? CNN Expected to Make Big Moves

If there is anything on the mind of CNN boss Jeff Zucker, it’s ratings.  The network is finding that programming that is fair, neutral and truly balanced doesn’t do as well as the crazy stuff that we see every night on Fox News and MSNBC.  One of the moves that Zucker is considering is cutting Soledad O’Brien in the morning and replacing her with a “lighter and brighter” option, Erin Burnett.

Burnett currently hosts on CNN at 7 pm, but a source told the New York Post that Zucker is strongly considering pushing her to mornings.

“Zucker thinks she’s a real talent,” a source told The Post. “He’ll team her up with a guy, and they’ll go after the audience watching ‘Today’ and ‘Good Morning America.’ One thing Zucker knows how to do is a morning show.”

Zucker might know how to get people to start watching CNN again.  He was the executive producer for NBC’s Today back in 1992, which was the dominant morning show for 16  years.  There is no word on what would happen to O’Brien and her trademark series, “Black in America.”  But the move would be disappointing to those who enjoy seeing darker faces on television.

105 Responses to Goodbye Soledad O’Brien? CNN Expected to Make Big Moves

1. wanda Reply

December 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I saw was able to view her show on one occasion. Although, I like her when she does the special feature reporting, I think she was a little too flighty and she seemed to ramble a bit too much for the show. Now I disagree with them replacing her with Erin, I kind of think that Soledad does well when she focused.

2. Toni Reply

December 13, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I like Soledad and I hope she lands on her feet. Soledad I support you and shame on any of you that speaks about whether she is Black enough. What in the world is that suppose to mean. What is Black enough. It is not enough that some White people are racist but then you have Black people complaining about whether she is Black enough…we are all Bi-Racial..ALL OF US…GET OVER IT.

3. Norma Reply

December 13, 2012 at 11:02 pm

CNN, I hope you are reading all of these comments that support Soledad O’Brien. This is not a good move for this morning spot. Drop her and your ratings will drop!!!

4. Norma Reply

December 13, 2012 at 11:02 pm

5. Deborah Reply

December 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

ERIN BENNETT. I DON’T THINK SO . IT WOULD BE LIKE LISTENING TO MORNING JOE TELL LIES ALL MORNING AND ACTING LIKE A BUNCH OF BOYS. TRY CURRENT TV ,THE BILL PRESS AND STEPHANIE MILLER SHOW. ATLEAST, THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE NEWS& ENGAGEMENT WITH A SMILE. CNN SEE YEA.

6. Deborah Reply

December 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

7. Deborah Reply

December 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm

8. Miss T Reply

December 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Is she or isn’t she..Black or Black enough! Good bye and good riddance.

9. Benjamin Reply

December 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I hate to see Soledad go; she is my idol. I love her. She is smart and beautiful.

10. Ja'Neisha Hunter Reply

December 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Good! I cant stand her or her “Black In America” series. Tired of them focusing and studying us like f-in labrats!!

• Miss T Reply

December 13, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I totally agree Ja’Neisha Hunter!

11. Thomas Reply

December 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Who cares? She’s just another talking head with marching orders. She’ll get hired at MSNBC and start their song and dance next. Yawn.

12. JFE Reply

December 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm

First of all, you can “look” at Soledad and tell you she is “mixed” heritage, including BLACK! And as for T.J. Holmes, I “read” that it was HIS IDEA to leave and go to a “different” network, doing what he would have more “freedom” doing, even taking “less” pay.

13. Ruby from NJ Reply

December 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Soledad O’Brien’s departure from CNN will show that CNN, which once was the go-to network for real news, has dropped the ball and wants to dumb-down news. Fine. Do that and lose viewership. It was nice seeing you.

14. Wakeup Reply

December 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Zucker needs to give O’Brien more credit

15. AMAZINGGRACE Reply

December 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm

ANALYST. Sorry about the spelling..

16. AMAZINGGRACE Reply

December 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm

CNN cannot hold a candle to MSNBC. At least I can watch MSNBC and see a rainbow of analysis, instead of that sad “house mentality” line-up!

17. al williams Reply

December 13, 2012 at 12:10 pm

James, I totally agree with you IAM not surprise that the Networks are turning a blind eye toward Black Journalist, they wish all Blacks would tune in to Bet MTV and VH1, those are the Stations we as Black folks Should Boycott.

18. Jacqueline g Coleman Reply

December 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm

CNN HAS CHANGED DRAMATICALLY SINCE I STARTED LOOKING AT IT IN 2005 WITH KATRINA COVERAGE WITH ANDERSON COOPPER AND I REALLY ENJOYED LOOKING AT IT BUT I NOTICED DURING AND PRIOR TO THE ELECTION BY THE PEOPLE THAT STARTED SHOWING UP ON THE PANELS IT IS GETTING MORE REPUBLICAN THAN I WANT TO SEE. I LIKE NONE BIAS PROGRAMMING AND IT IS GETTING MORE FOR CONSERVATIVES THAN EVER.FIRST T. J .HOLMES NOW SOLADAD O’BRIEN WHAT IS GOING ON!!! ‘A LOT’ OF PEOPLE AS I LOOKED AT IT FOR A WHILE AND ARE DISENCHANTED WITH ITS PROGRAMMING LATELY.ZUCKER NEEDS TO LEARN HOW TO BE MORE ENCLUSIVE AND WELCOME ALL RACES TO HELP MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF EVENTS IN OUR WORLD. I FEEL SOLEDAD IS AN EXCELLENT ANCHOR/REPORTER AND THE STORIES ARE EDUCATIONAL AND MAKE “ALL PEOPLE” AWARE OF EVENTS SO VITAL TO OUR SOCIETY.I HOPE THEY RECONSIDER THIS MATTER.ERIN IS GOOD ALSO AND WOMEN SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE A SHOW “ALONE” WE DON’T NEED A MAN TO HELP US CARRY A PROGRAM. BOTH OF THESE WOMEN ARE AN ASSET TO CNN AND SHOULD BE APPRECIATED FOR EACH OF THEIR TALENTS.I ENJOY ERIN ON LOCATION THE BEST COVERING WORLD EVENTS AND SOLEDAD’S SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS ARE SO GOOD ALSO.LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE APPRECIATE THE WOMEN WHO ARE AT YOUR STATION AND THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE/HAD BEEN LOOKING AT CNN AND WHAT WE WANT TO SEE/ENJOY.KEEP PERSONAL OPINIONS TO ONES’ SELF. JUST DO THE WORK AND LET US MAKE OUR OWN VIEWS.

19. james Reply

December 13, 2012 at 11:34 am

You had your chance it was called BET , you didn’t want challenging thought provoking programming , you opted for booty shaking and bling . This is what black people have been boiled down to , why are you shocked and dismayed ? We always say we have these billions of consumers dollars , it would appear that we don’t possess the clout we think we have .

20. Albertak Reply

December 13, 2012 at 11:03 am

You would think that the Zuckers of the world would finally get it – CNN need to better represent the diversity of the viewing population. Aside from that boring Erin Burnett replacing an engaging Soledad OBrien, you’ve got to be kidding me! CNN will pay a big price should this switch occur.

21. Terry Reply

December 13, 2012 at 10:35 am

I love watching Soledad in the morning.In fact I turn off everything at 7am to watch. If this Zucker moves her then I move and there are many more who think as I do. CNN isn’t exactly the place for black people period, if they keep moving and shaking black peole from its programing than we all maybe moving our attention somewhere else.

22. JDUB81 Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:42 am

Management found out that she was really black after she hosted the Black in America series!

23. Lee Jackson Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:35 am

If Soledad goes, I go with her. I like her style and how she asks questions and follow-up. She always comes back to the main questions. She doesn’t let her guess off the hook.

24. Rasheed7 Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:31 am

Erin Burnett is garbage.. That’s the first thing… You replace Soledad with her and CNN rating will et worse.

I really hope Soledad leaves CNN altogether. It will be easier for me to watch her if she does.

• althea Reply

December 13, 2012 at 10:18 am

I am not an Erin fan either, personally I don’t like her style of presentation. Why does CNN want to replace diversity for more of the same “predominately White media”. I personally prefer diversity in people, views, ethnicity etc. Replacing Soladad with Erin is going back to the same old American style TV…Everyone is of the same race and thought process. Reality is, America is changing and becoming more diverse. Come on CNN move with the times.

25. Karen Jones Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:27 am

No worries this maybe a blessing in disguise. Soledad can join MSNBC or TJ and Soledad can bring some education to BET if BET wants to bring newsworthy individuals to their station.

26. Justice Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

I wonder if she is sorry that she finally confessed her Black Heritage, that there is racial equality, or that she still diagrees with Rev. Jesse Jackson.

27. Justice Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

• Mark B Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

I think she is awesome becuase she enables African Americans to be heard ! She didn’t dog President Obama, I think thats why she is probably getting heat because she seemed to endorse him openly and when she went at Joel Osteen, that was awesome because he could not answer her questions. As for Jessie, didn’t he oppose our President himself?

28. Justice Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

• Benjamin Ilori Reply

December 13, 2012 at 11:20 am

It is sad to hear CNN is planning to c*t Soledad. I am very disappointed. She is a vey talented journalist with her trade marks Black in America and Latino in America. She brought to CNN new viewers. If CNN c*t her, CNN will loose more viewers like me . They c*t TJ they may be planning to c*t Don Lemon too . Don will be the only Black face on prime time at CNN. I am sure another Network will pick her up. I Hope Oprah will consider putting her on OWN.

29. NYLADYJ Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:12 am

If Soledad goes, I go!!! She is the only reason I watch CNN.

30. william armstrong Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:10 am

CNN HAS BEEN CUTTING BLACKS FROM THEIR SHOWS FOR SOME TIME. FIRST, TJ NOW SOLDDAD. SEEMS TO ME LIKE
    A BLACK FACE IS A TURN-OFF ON CNN. THATS WHY I WATCH MSNBC NOW.

31. william armstrong Reply

December 13, 2012 at 9:10 am

A BLACK FACE IS A TURN-OFF ON CNN. THATS WHY I WATCH MSNBC NOW.