Spike Lee Blasts “Django Unchained” Says He Will Boycott The Film

tarantinosplit-webBy: Victor “Doc V” Trammell

Director Spike Lee is known not to b**e his tongue. The outspoken 55-year-old film maker has levied his criticism against Tyler Perry for what he calls stereotypical film making on Perry’s part. Lee is known for producing and directing films that make you think. The riveting “Malcolm X” (starring Denzel Washington) gave a great cinematic look into one of America’s greatest civil rights leaders.

According to the New York Post, Spike Lee has chosen a new film maker to level his analytical critique against; Quentin Tarantino. Tarantino’s new film, “Django Unchained” hit theatres tomorrow. However, Lee insists that he won’t be standing in line to see a movie that he deems to be derogatory of slavery. Spike took to Twitter to express his distaste for the film. He wrote:

Read Original Article At Reason 4 Rhymes

94 Responses to Spike Lee Blasts “Django Unchained” Says He Will Boycott The Film

1. Gagner vite en Bourse Reply

April 24, 2014 at 4:46 am

Du travail d orfevre, merci pour le plaisir.

2. Midget1.com Reply

December 29, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Superb website you have here but I was wanting to know if
    you knew of any forums that cover the same topics discussed
    in this article? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get
    opinions from other knowledgeable people that share the
    same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Many thanks!

3. Brian Reply

January 14, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Spike Lee is proud and happy to be a slave, and wants the
    world to know he is a happy slave. That is why he uses
    that silly cigarette holder. To make sure everyone knows
    that he is proud to be addicted to the white man’s tobacco.

4. Marie Reply

December 31, 2012 at 3:00 am

Spike needs to write more positive movies then he wouldn’t be sos so offended in Tyler Perry either.

5. Marie Reply

December 31, 2012 at 3:00 am

6. Erica Reply

December 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm

It is just bad taste for Spike to be criticizing other people’s work, I haven’t heard of othe directors doing it to him, sounding like jealousy. And it’s not pretty, Spike if you have nothing nice to say,say nothing.

7. Pingback: Dr. Boyce Watkins: 3 Reasons This Black Man Loved Django Unchained | A-selah

8. darryl Reply

December 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm

This comment as well as the one before is for Carlos/Karlos, notonly are you illiterate, but ignorant as well. You’re not even capable of discussing anything of substance with a real man/woman. Not on your level…BOY.

9. darryl Reply

December 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm

What you need to do is take a good English & History class before you comment on anything pertaining to Black History and addressing an educated individual.

10. Pingback: JTGDeals.Com Entertainment » Dr. Boyce Watkins: 3 Reasons This Black Man Loved Django Unchained

11. Pingback: Dr. Boyce Watkins: 3 Reasons This Black Man Loved Django Unchained |

12. Josh Hardin Reply

December 27, 2012 at 12:55 am

I have been wondering how the African American community would take this film. After seeing it yesterday, I loved it. But, although seemingly accurately depicted, I could see how the extreme horrificness of the treatment of the slaves could be taken offensively. I’ve been following Quentin Tarantino for some time now so I expected it to be as gruesome and truthful as imaginatively possible. If anyone has seen the movie on here, let me know what you thought! I really would like to hear some opinions on it!

13. dmac Reply

December 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

commonsense seems to be the only person leaving comments that have common sense…

14. LEM Reply

December 26, 2012 at 10:03 am

HAS ANYONE NOTED THAT SPIKE LEE COMES ACROSS AS A COMPLETE r****d? RETR

15. Pingback: African/Black America - Spike Lee vs Tyler Perrry, and Django Unchained comments.

16. Oh My Creator Reply

December 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm

CommonSenseKing: while I agree with you about people doing whatever makes them happy; but quite frankly, we NEED MORE Black consciousness. The leaders might have fallen for the heroin in the 60s & 70s, but WE are falling for killing each other over nothing right now. So, don’t you think WE NEED MORE BLACK CONSCIOUSNESS? Don’t put it down if you haven’t lived it. You sound young. Do your homework.

• CommonSense King Reply

December 25, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I sound young?? Based on what telling the actual facts of the former black Panther leaders? How about the murder of Malcolm X by his own people? Who doesn’t know about the irrational killings of our own people by our own people on a daily basis? Black consciousness you say? And just what does this actually mean in light of our people doing whatever they feel like doing at any and all cost? Black consciousness starts in the home. And guess what I don’t live in everyone’s house! Please make no assessment of my age of pull me into a discussion unless you’re ready to actually converse about facts. It doesn’t take black consciousness to see the damage inflicted on the black community by the black community. I’ve been on the front lines fighting resistance from those that despise the truth and guess who they were? I’ll let you tell me.

17. Oh My Creator Reply

December 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Uhhhh… Slavery IS and WAS derogatory… What the h**l is Spike talking about? I happen to like Tarrantino’s films. Spike has a right to choose NOT to see the film. I have a right TO see it; and I will.

18. Oh My Creator Reply

December 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

19. Pingback: Atlanta - Spike Lee vs Tyler Perrry, and Django Unchained comments.

20. nonizer Reply

December 25, 2012 at 7:30 pm

We were sold into slavery by different tribes yes it was for things which were not of value for a human beings life but still we were sold by other AFRICAN TRIBES who were fighting against one another for reason unknown to us . And if spike does not have a hand it well it’s not being done right so he thinks. for those of you who may have missed this google the following
    ACTOR CLIFTON POWELL: SPIKE LEE NEEDS TO SIT HIS PUNK A** DOWN
    it makes for good reading.

21. Pingback: New York - Spike Lee vs Tyler Perrry, and Django Unchained comments.

22. jody Reply

December 25, 2012 at 1:18 pm

i wonder what the reaction would be if it were reversed. blacks having whites for slaves, chained up, beating them , raping their
    children and all the other stuff..maybe spike should do a
    movie like that..this man has a right and since HE is the
    one with the experience in film making, just maybe he is
    able to see this from a perspective different from how
    all who are talking down on him does..think about it.

23. Hulldogg Maxx Reply

December 25, 2012 at 12:48 pm

SPIKE HAS GOT A RIGHT BUT TO BAD HE CAN NOT GET BEHIND THE CAMERA AND LIGHTS AND WILL NOT DO WHAT QUENTIN TARANTINO DID. NOBODY BOYCOTTED “ROOTS” WHEN IT APPEARED ON THE “IDIOT BOX” BACK IN 1979. AT THE TIME IT WAS THE MOST PROGRAM EVER WATCHED.ALSO I SEEM TO REMEMBER SPIKE CRITICIZING MEL GIBSON FOR NOT TOUCHING ON THE SUBJECT OF “SLAVERY” IN THE MOVIE “PATRIOT”. NOW THAT THE SUBJECT AS BEEN TOUCHED ON. SPIKE DON’T WANT TO TOUCH IT BECAUSE ITS “DEGRADING”? WHERE IS “MANDINGO” WHEN YOU NEED HIM? Psssssssst. I BET YOU AS A UPCOMING YOUNG FILM STUDENT SPIKE WATCHED “BIRTH OF A NATION”.

24. Peter D. Slaughter Reply

December 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Overall a vast % of black’s who run out and see a vast % of these movies are being tricked and bambozzled.I wonder how many have read or maybe have even have a copy of the book by Donald Bogle
    ” Toms,Coons, Mamies,Mullatos & Bucks.
    One thing about Spike he has made movies so he knows what really goes on behind the scenes.
    Today,any time black person has some legit things to say something about anything.
    There is this dumb group of black’s who say
    ” All he just hating “. Most of these dummies are jus repeating what they they heard the next person say. Myself,I am tired of looking at all these phony,twisted,homothug,crossdressing images of black people and black males. The racist who really bankroll and financed this c**p laugh and call all of us n….’s behind closed doors on a regular.While all these black’s of today going to see some big( just another hollyweird shuffle)
    slave plantation epic.
    These same people will not say a peep about all the black’s men and women locked up in these updated,private owned and operated updated prison plantations. I would not spend a Lincoln cent on this movie( he freed us and we’s can vote now)
    Black’s have not one positive major epic movie made yet.

The last so-called big major movie about black’s was ” Roots “. We would think by now in the 21st century and in the new year that black’s were way beyond all this slavey plantation stuff.
    But look’s like a vast % of black’s think some white movie maker is doing us a big favor by making another slave movie and using Jamie Fox to trick blacks to see it.

• CommonSense King Reply

December 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Funny I thought people went to see these movies simply because they wanted too. Tricked and bamboolzed into what might I ask? I watched Red Hook Summer and I was tricked and bamboolzed outta of 1.29 cent!! But I digress. To say blacks are dumb and stupid for speaking their mind (the same thing Spike is doing as well as yourself) is a kind of hypocritical don’t ya think? Unless of course your premise is to get everyone to align with your thoughts and concepts therefor making you the leader of the new radical movement for blacks to not make up their own minds in what they actually want to watch whenever they feel like it! Does there always have to be an agenda? Can’t people do whatever makes them happy without being subjected to the consciousness of others who simply don’t agee based upon their own personal choices? Please get off the black power soap box. That concept died along with the black panther leaders that dissolved when they started shooting heroin into their veins!

25. CommonSense King Reply

December 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Well here we go with the stretched articles again to get hits! Spike Lee said he wasn’t going to see the movie. Doesn’t sound like he’s boycotting anything. It simply sounds like he’s not going to see it because he disagrees with the material. If I don’t go see it for the same reason am I boycotting also? This site is becoming a d**n joke.

26. Candace DeLaney Reply

December 25, 2012 at 10:51 am

We should know by now, they force us into slavery and Our Ancestors see everything even in their time they had to some things that other Slaves disagreed with to make a point. Spike should have a school and training for young Afrkans living in America and we could get away from the white man.

27. Candace DeLaney Reply

December 25, 2012 at 10:51 am

28. Janice Reply

December 25, 2012 at 10:39 am

And who is going to miss his money at the box office?