Ask Black America: What Would Dr. King Say to Obama Right Now?

king-obama

President Barack Obama is having his presidency reconfirmed on the same day that we celebrate the brilliant life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  Some say that this is more than a symbolic coincidence, that it is instead a reminder of the connected destinies of two great black men.

But there are others who feel that while Dr. King cleared the path for President Obama, he would be disappointed in his work thus far.  Black unemployment is over 14%, poverty is higher than it’s been in quite some time, and African Americans remained dogged by an incarceration problem of epidemic proportions.  What would Dr. King have to say about all this?

We took the question to the Facebook to see what our readers had to say.  The conversation is below:

Read More At Kulture Kritic

13 Responses to Ask Black America: What Would Dr. King Say to Obama Right Now?

1. Davchi Reply

February 26, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Dr. King would say “I had a determined movement on my side and no real protection for me or my family, yet I led the dismantling of the racial injustice of segregation, Jim Crow and lynchings.You Mr. President today face and fight the white sons and grandsons along with the negroes that hid during the civil rights movement. They inhabit the seats of congress and right-wing media and seek to bring you down like I. Congratulations in showing that in spite of one can aspire to and achieve to overcome in America, Mr. President”.

2. PghRich Reply

February 23, 2013 at 11:18 pm

He would say ” I thought I had it bad, I only had to deal with the racist bigots of my time. You on the other hand must deal with the West, Smiley, Watkins & Carnell I don’t envy you at all

3. PghRich Reply

February 23, 2013 at 11:18 pm

4. Darrell Johnson Reply

February 16, 2013 at 7:41 pm

President Obama and MLK were/are products of their own times…example: MLK started/continued something whereas Obama is in a position where America is in denial and can’t/won’t accept a Black Man as President…his tactics demand a different way of doing things. Sad but true!!! Peace out!

5. john henry Reply

February 1, 2013 at 1:21 am

i think MLK jr. would be beside himself. glad that an African American made it into office, but disappointed in what he has done for the advancement of our people, culture and general way of life. they say Obama cant have a black agenda it wouldn’t look good bad for business… But like grandma use to say “if not you,who?” and yet I voted for him twice and I would again if possible for one simple reason…. “if not me,who?”

6. Turner Davis Reply

January 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm

YEP PROUD YEP DISAPPOINTED. HE WOULD DEFIANTLY TAKE OBAMA TO TASK ABOUT NOT ADDRESSING, I MEAN HECK YOU CAN ADDRESS BLACK UNEMPLOYMENT AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. WOULD IT k**l YA TO LAY OUT A PLAN FOR US.

7. bernice Reply

January 24, 2013 at 12:05 am

Martin L. King, I believe would be proud of Obama. He knew that this battle can only be won in steps.This is just another step. Maybe it is taken too much time as far as some of people are concerned, but, everything takes time. President Obama is just a stepping stone. Like Martin said “I may not get there with you, but we will get there”. If you remember that some of our people did not approve King either. You are not going to please all of the people. But if you don’t look ahead the Republicans will make sure that these days that you have enjoyed having a Black president will never happen again. It is time to work with Obama and plan for a future black president. Don’t underestermate the kkk REPUBLICANS.

• Linda Crawford Reply

February 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I agree with you Bernice hole heartly.

Thanks

8. elrancho2 Reply

January 23, 2013 at 8:55 am

I can only speak for myself but I would imagine Martin Luther King would have mixed emotions. On one hand, he would feel the frustration so many of us feel at the level of ignorance and hatred that still dwells in white America, resulting in continuing injustice towards black people. On the other hand, he would acknowledge that some things have improved, some doors have been opened and I feel quite certain he would be extremely proud of President Obama for his leadership and dignity against so much obstruction. We all want to see more progress and expect results. Few of us could achieve them in the environment that President Obama has to endure.

• Linda Crawford Reply

February 11, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Elrancho2, you hit the nail square on the Head. You spoke the truth.

Thanks…!