Maria Lloyd: Why Does White America Equate Black Pride to Racism?

In a conversation discussed with fans of the Your Black World Network on Facebook, readers weighed in on whether or not being pro-black equates to being racist.

Despite the numerous and audacious indications that we are not living in a post-racial society (e.g. the economic disparity, hate crimes,  mass incarceration, etc.) Caucasian Americans still struggle with understanding the plight of the Black Community.

It appears as if a slew of Caucasians choose to ignore the plight of the Black Community, especially due to the election of President Barack Obama — who was raised by his maternal, Caucasian relatives — and insist that America has finally surpassed racism. Unless I’ve missed a significant landmark in the history of this country in the last five minutes, racism is still very much alive.

I was reading this article by — what appears to be — a Caucasian writer named Tara Dodrill. The headline reads: Reverend Jeremiah Wright Unleashes Racist Rhetoric During Sunday Sermon. I decided to read the transcript of this “racist rhetoric” Dodrill is referencing, and instead, I read an enlightening sermon that encouraged parents of the Black Community to teach their children about our history. I’m sure hearing Rev. Wright tell the congregation to teach their children “African-American history and not the one taught by our enemies who distort our history, diss our history,” could make someone who is not of the African ethnic group feel uneasy, but his remarks were far from racist. Furthermore, was his remark inaccurate?

In 2010, the Texas School Board “watered down” the history of slavery and the Civil Rights Movement in the textbooks of all of its public schools. Last year, Tennessee Tea Party members proclaimed that they wanted to remove the history of slavery from textbooks altogether. So, what is wrong with Rev. Wright’s request for parents of color to teach their children about our history? In fact, recent research has proven that instilling black pride in our children helps them excel academically.

Today on the Your Black World Facebook Fanpage, we asked our readers one question: Can a person be pro-black and not be racist? Emotions ran high during the discussion, acquiring over 10,000 readers and 60+ comments. One reader, Roosevelt W. commented: We need to be more racist. Let’s be racist and only go to Black doctors and dentist. Let’s be racist and only let Black teachers teach our kids. Let’s be racist and only buy groceries at Black stores. Let us try to be racist for 40 years because the last 40 years of kumbayaa has only led to double digit Black unemployment. Another reader, Jefferey W. commented: If I am Pro-Black and I expose white supremacy as an evil system that dominates every facet of amerikkkan society, then I am called racist for doing so, then I hold that title with pride. And Caren R. commented: Racism is about *bringing down* a group. Being pro-Black is about *lifting up* a group.

Here’s the bottom line: Being pro-black does not equate to being prejudiced/racist against another ethnicity. Please stop referring to our leaders (e.g. Min. Louis Farrakhan, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Dr. Cornel West, etc.) who encourage people of color to overcome the systematic oppression placed before us as racists. Neither of the aforementioned leaders have ever encouraged the Black Community to hate those of other ethnic groups. If you can find evidence that they have, please enlighten me.

What are your thoughts? Join the conversation by joining our Your Black World Facebook Fanpage: www.facebook.com/yourblackworld

22 Responses to Maria Lloyd: Why Does White America Equate Black Pride to Racism?

1. abdul shakir Reply

May 16, 2013 at 10:18 am

They have programed us to love them and the white Jesus. So! If you start loving yourself in deeds and actions and not just raised fists and black power words,then they see us as being racist. G’d bless new Africa.

2. Heavy J Reply

May 15, 2013 at 8:38 am

To be a “racist” one would have the power to deprive another of their civil rights. Black people in America have never had that power,ergo we can’t be racist.

3. Andre Young Reply

January 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

I give all due respect to all opines pertaining to the matter at issue, however, I am primarily interested in economic civil rights. Because, when I perusal the several cities in the Northwest, I am reminded of just how many buildings Black people do not own. We do not own any, not one building in Portland, Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane, Everett, Bellevue, nor any place else on the West Coast I am aware of.

I am a separate but equal advocate, which does not mean segregationist. I prefer to celebrate the differences. I have always opposed integration, unless it pertained to us consolidating our resources such as our social clubs, we contend are churches. I am not a hater.

Self pride is, when we are able to provide ourselves with sufficient food, clothing and shelter. For me, it all pertains to us having our focus on economic civil rights. I want to own my own buses, planes, homes, business, or whatever in accord with my abilities.

Lets focus on economic civil rights, and I lament all else will commence; especially, with the overall experiences we have attained.

4. Andre Young Reply

January 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

5. Christopher Reply

January 13, 2013 at 4:09 pm

The pride within the Black community has always been surrounded with unity and family, however considering the results that have arisen from white pride and superiority complexes, the karmic retribution is what is truly feared by them. It is known of the atrocities waged by most of the caucasian population so to even the playing field would essentially be a nightmare come to life for them as they know many would their heads on a platter for the countless injustices that have occurred under their watch. This is the main reason why other ethnic pride is perceived to be dangerous.

6. Dee Reply

January 10, 2013 at 5:44 am

C’mon blacks are the biggest whining babies there is! I’ve heard many blacks say whites are racist if they even whisper about white pride then they are the KKK. Most of the black population problems are huh..wait for it–SELF IMPOSED!! In the 40′s and 50′s the number of black and white who came from a 2 parent household was about equal,the number of babies born out of wedlock was also bout da same!Then the mid sixties came welfare and their decline continued. In the eighties crack came to the blacks (Yea I know honky from from da CIA gave it to freeway Ricky (insert excuse here)which brings us 2 da 90′s. Embrace idea that a crack head spittin on a mic iz talent ie. I s**t my brother J Zee or I got s**t sell’in crack 9 times fiddy cent-plus Spoopy da lion crip I got away wit murder and I ai’nt OJ!har dee har da h**l har.( WE BE GANSTA) They are do’in so much 4 blacz especially in da hamptons with fiddy or NY NY Shawn Carter I ai’nt gonna call b*****s hoes no mo cuz I got’s me a Blue Ivy and if you call my little girl a ho and try to pimp her ride I’ll get 1 of my jewish lawyers to b***h s**p a millions dolla lawsuit agin ya or I’ll give a crackhead a benjiman to off yur azz! Which brings us present day,I am in a middle sized midwestern city 50% of black males don’t graduate high school,one school had 50 black kids graduate 5 males! In 1968 they had about 600 kids graduate of all type. They did’nt have enough boys with passing grades ,to have a football team, just a b-ball starting 5. We had 66 murders all but 2 were black,but the whites that was s**t went to a black hood to buy drugs and had their dum azz jacked by da brudda’s. Also in that newscast wuz an interesting story bout da brudda dat got caught up wit da man he got pulled over by da po po he did’nt try to run cuz he had hiz babies (5) and day baby momma in hiz minivan -no child seats the oldest 7 she was 24 he was 32.)(he musta laid in dem drawers ha she was preggo for bout 5yr straight that gotta be tight)he ai’nt no shawnty lo-she from the police report is on welfare-food stamps-sec.8-charged with child endangerment,he with outstanding warrants of drug trafficking,domestic violence,weapons violation and numerous traffic violations! New charges include child endangerment,no safety seats for kids,poss. of crack for sales,poss. of weapon of a felon and being a persistent offender. Recovered was 14 grams of crack,a 9mm semi auto and a little more than $2400.00 with no denomination over $20.hard work’in man -buy a box of pampers you s**t instead of borrowing yur girlfriends EBT card.Well you stay frosty I’m bout to get me sum cheese wit yur whine and catch up my dvr basketball wives cuz I luvs me sum comedy!!peace out……………..

• Christopher Reply

January 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Dee –
      I would take your comment more seriously if you were to offer a little more intellectually stimulating thought processes in regards to your commentary instead of fulfilling most of the media perpetuated stereotypes.

Some of the problems are self-fulfilling, however a good amount of them have been initiated by the white supremacist society structure including the mass incarceration effort of minorities under the masked “war on drugs” as well as the welfare requirements that mitigated the breakup of the Black family structure, the discrimination effort in employment, education and life in general. Please keep your ignorance laced rants to yourself.

• carnell Reply

May 15, 2013 at 11:52 am

People like you are why there is still a struggle

7. Latrice Reply

January 9, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Everything has to come full circle, eventually. Now is our tme.. what will we do with it???

8. Kenisha Reply

January 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Great article. Even other “Black” people turn away from self pride. Our history is rich. It also sparks anger due to how viciously we have been attacked. One must remain in the space of self love. I took my daughter out of one of the top public schools in Chicago and enrolled her in an African centered Academic home school. Her self esteem is significantly better in just 4 months. Hidden Colors 1 & 2 are a must see! Hiddencolorsfilm.com Also several speakers in the film are actively involved in projects to increase our cultural awareness. Please get involved.

9. clockem Reply

January 9, 2013 at 12:54 pm

THERE IS GOOD RACISM AND THERE IS BAD RACISM.GOOD RACISM IS WHEN
    A BROKEN COMMUNITY WANTS TO FIX THERE PROBLEMS THROUGH UNITY
    WITHOUT DEPRIVEING THE PRIVILEDGED COMMUNITY FROM ANYTHING.
    BAD RACISM IS WHEN YOU DEPRIVE AND OPPRESS.THE VERY PHRASE.
    WHEN A WHITE PERSON CALLL A BLACKPERSON A RACIST,WHAT THAT
    MEAN IS STOP STICKING TOGETHER BECAUSE I AM AFRAID THAT YOU ALL
    ARE GOING TO DEFEAT US.YOU ALL ARE GOING TO HAVE YOUR OWN
    BUSINESS AND WE CANT CONTROL YOU ANYMORE.

10. Miss T Reply

January 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm

They are waiting just like folks are waiting for the second coming. But the revolution IS upon us…so they might as well brace themselves….there will be no turning back!

11. nmaat433 Reply

January 9, 2013 at 8:22 am

Projection. Pure and simple. Their version of racial pride created white supremacy & global apartheid so they naturally assume that is the case with Black Pride. And also I believe they are always waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop. Most probably won’t admit it, but I’m sure black revenge for our treatment has crossed their minds. And they don’t know where that will come from so they are always waiting for it-consciously or unconsciously.