Dr. Kyla McMullen is the first African American woman to gradute with a PhD in computer sciences at University of Michigan.

Dr. Kyla McMullen

Dr. Kyla McMullen is the first African American woman to graduate with a PhD in computer science at the University of Michigan. When asked how she feels about her new title, the scholar replied “Bittersweet.” She explained that it’s gratifying to have the distinction of being the university’s first African American female to acquire a PhD in computer science, it reminds her of a sad reality: There aren’t enough men and women of color pursuing advanced degrees in computer science.

Out of the more than 1,400 Americans who received PhD’s in computer science from 2010 to 2011, less than a quarter were female, and a mere 1.2 percent – 16 people – were African-American, according to the latest Computing Research Association Taulbee Survey. Dr. McMullen has always had a passion for computer science and was nurtured throughout high school. Fortunately, the high school she attended had a special computer science track program. This meant exposure to a curriculum that most high schools lack, and the opportunity to take courses in computer programming and engineering early on.

If it were not for the advice of a guidance counselor — who’d recommended that she apply for UMBC’s Meyerhoff Scholarship Program — she probably wouldn’t have considered acquiring a PhD. in the field. “It was an excellent opportunity,” says McMullen of the program. Interesting enough one of her two study buddies, Nwokedi Ibika, is coincidentally the first African-American to get a PhD. in computer science from Perdue University.

44 Responses to Meet Kyla McMullen: The 1st Black Woman to Graduate With a PhD In Computer Science at Univ of Michigan

1. Gagner de l'argent avec la Bourse Reply

April 8, 2014 at 8:05 am

Poursuivez dans cette direction, c’est un veritable plaisir de vous suivre.

2. tao of badass Reply

March 11, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Тhat wɑs until sߋmething remarkable happened tҺat changed my
    life forever. Sսch meո rеally like and tenaciously embrace and cling tto inviting female physique curves, romantic shapes
    аոd figures, аոd 1st cllass engaging s*x appeal.

” And that’s good, that’s exactly what the book goes for.

3. Olivia Reply

August 16, 2013 at 11:33 pm

We have made the decision to open our POWERFUL and PRIVATE website traffic system to the public for a limited time! You can sign up for our UP SCALE network with a free trial as we get started with the public’s orders. Imagine how your bank account will look when your website gets the traffic it deserves. Visit us today: http://nsru.net/138e

4. Ailin Jasel Reply

June 21, 2013 at 3:50 am

Hi There Yourblackworld,
    Thanks, on a related note, my story is about a boy (a merman) who ventures out of the sea to find his long lost mother, a human. while there, he meets a girl who befriends him. she has long, dark brown hair, tan skin, and green eyes. here are the names i have picked out for her so far (first and last).

Kyla Gil
    Leisl Sandhagen (Lee-sul) i heard it somewhere and loved how different it was
    Sera VanKirk
    Nicole McCuff
    Lesley Zolotas
    Bethany Briley
    Erin Buik
    Jordyn McKnight
    Hannah Minor
    Emily Philliber
    Laurel Poole
    Kelsey Cheney

if you have any suggestions, please let me know!
    Kindest Regards

5. matt carmody Reply

January 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm

God bless you, Dr. McMullen. Now pass it on.

6. Ollie Ferrell Reply

January 18, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Congratulations Dr.McMullen on your Accomplishment,Education is the key to our sucess. You arre an awesome example for women everywhere.

7. blacjk jones Reply

January 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm

This is a great accomplishment…..lets give the ladies support in any way we can to accomplish many great things…..PEACE!!!!!!

8. blacjk jones Reply

January 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm

9. elzora holland Reply

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

As a former academic advisor at The University of Michigan, I know Dr. McMullen accomplishment was no easy task. She soars heads above most. This is amazing. I am so proud of her. She has paved the way for others. I feel blessed to witness her achievement.

10. elzora holland Reply

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

11. elzora holland Reply

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

12. elzora holland Reply

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

13. elzora holland Reply

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

• matt carmody Reply

January 31, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I guess the former academic advisor didn’t take the class that taught how to post only one comment containing identical content.

14. Ann G. Reply

January 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I could not be any more proud of you if you were my daughter! Congrats! I just wish we had more Black women going the distance. Education is truly the key to our success, if we don’t have it, we cannot complain!

15. al williams Reply

January 10, 2013 at 10:47 am

RIGHT ON SISTER,I DON’T KNOW YOU, BUT I FEEL VERY PROUD OF YOU AS IF YOU WERE MY OWN DAUGHTER,GOD BLESS YOU..