Dr. Kyla McMullen is the first African American woman to gradute with a PhD in computer sciences at University of Michigan.

Dr. Kyla McMullen

Dr. Kyla McMullen is the first African American woman to graduate with a PhD in computer science at the University of Michigan. When asked how she feels about her new title, the scholar replied “Bittersweet.” She explained that it’s gratifying to have the distinction of being the university’s first African American female to acquire a PhD in computer science, it reminds her of a sad reality: There aren’t enough men and women of color pursuing advanced degrees in computer science.

Out of the more than 1,400 Americans who received PhD’s in computer science from 2010 to 2011, less than a quarter were female, and a mere 1.2 percent – 16 people – were African-American, according to the latest Computing Research Association Taulbee Survey. Dr. McMullen has always had a passion for computer science and was nurtured throughout high school. Fortunately, the high school she attended had a special computer science track program. This meant exposure to a curriculum that most high schools lack, and the opportunity to take courses in computer programming and engineering early on.

If it were not for the advice of a guidance counselor — who’d recommended that she apply for UMBC’s Meyerhoff Scholarship Program — she probably wouldn’t have considered acquiring a PhD. in the field. “It was an excellent opportunity,” says McMullen of the program. Interesting enough one of her two study buddies, Nwokedi Ibika, is coincidentally the first African-American to get a PhD. in computer science from Perdue University.

52 Responses to Meet Kyla McMullen: The 1st Black Woman to Graduate With a PhD In Computer Science at Univ of Michigan

1. Bottega Veneta Bag Price

June 10, 2014 at 5:31 pm

It’s very straightforward to use. A corporation sets various places and should operate them remotely by means of a cloud application. The cloud networking activly will work to fulfill and end all the needs of network based mostly architecture. Mainly because this is the multi-tenant architecture, the price of companies is lowered. Providing companies, IT admin and clients a whole remedies for your help as well as their membership with out any capital investment decision, the market of cloud based networking has certainly experienced a vivid and sunny long term in advance.

2. appartment kroatien

June 10, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Hello would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re utilizing?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog
    loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend
    a good web hosting provider at a honest price? Cheers, I appreciate it!

3. deplace ici

June 10, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Good day I am so glad I found your blog page, I really found you
    by error, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a incredible post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment
    but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up
    the fantastic work.

4. Do tych facetów

May 9, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Hi there, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this article.
    It was practical. Keep on posting!

5. maison en croatie

May 9, 2014 at 8:10 pm

These are really fantastic ideas in regarding blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant factors here. Any way keep
    up wrinting.

6. être redirigé ici

May 3, 2014 at 10:05 pm

You can definitely see your expertise in the article you write.
    The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid
    to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

7. parcourir autour de ce site web

May 3, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I think everything typed was very reasonable.
    However, what about this? what if you wrote a catchier title?
    I ain’t suggesting your information is not solid, but what if you added something that makes people
    want more? I mean Meet Kyla McMullen: The 1st Black Woman
    to Graduate With a PhD In Computer Science at
    Univ of Michigan | Your Black World is a little plain.
    You ought to peek at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they write post titles to grab people to click.
    You might add a related video or a related picture or two to grab readers interested
    about what you’ve written. In my opinion, it might make your posts a little livelier.

8. Gagner de l Argent Bourse

April 25, 2014 at 11:53 am

C est un veritable plaisir passez a lire ce billet, je vous remercie chaudement !!!

9. Gagner de l'argent avec la Bourse

April 8, 2014 at 8:05 am

Poursuivez dans cette direction, c’est un veritable plaisir de vous suivre.

10. tao of badass

March 11, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Тhat wɑs until sߋmething remarkable happened tҺat changed my
    life forever. Sսch meո rеally like and tenaciously embrace and cling tto inviting female physique curves, romantic shapes
    аոd figures, аոd 1st cllass engaging sex appeal.

” And that’s good, that’s exactly what the book goes for.

11. Olivia

August 16, 2013 at 11:33 pm

We have made the decision to open our POWERFUL and PRIVATE website traffic system to the public for a limited time! You can sign up for our UP SCALE network with a free trial as we get started with the public’s orders. Imagine how your bank account will look when your website gets the traffic it deserves. Visit us today: http://nsru.net/138e

12. Ailin Jasel

June 21, 2013 at 3:50 am

Hi There Yourblackworld,
    Thanks, on a related note, my story is about a boy (a merman) who ventures out of the sea to find his long lost mother, a human. while there, he meets a girl who befriends him. she has long, dark brown hair, tan skin, and green eyes. here are the names i have picked out for her so far (first and last).

Kyla Gil
    Leisl Sandhagen (Lee-sul) i heard it somewhere and loved how different it was
    Sera VanKirk
    Nicole McCuff
    Lesley Zolotas
    Bethany Briley
    Erin Buik
    Jordyn McKnight
    Hannah Minor
    Emily Philliber
    Laurel Poole
    Kelsey Cheney

if you have any suggestions, please let me know!
    Kindest Regards

13. matt carmody

January 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm

God bless you, Dr. McMullen. Now pass it on.

14. Ollie Ferrell

January 18, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Congratulations Dr.McMullen on your Accomplishment,Education is the key to our sucess. You arre an awesome example for women everywhere.

15. blacjk jones

January 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm

This is a great accomplishment…..lets give the ladies support in any way we can to accomplish many great things…..PEACE!!!!!!

16. blacjk jones

January 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm

17. elzora holland

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

As a former academic advisor at The University of Michigan, I know Dr. McMullen accomplishment was no easy task. She soars heads above most. This is amazing. I am so proud of her. She has paved the way for others. I feel blessed to witness her achievement.

18. elzora holland

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

19. elzora holland

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

20. elzora holland

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

21. elzora holland

January 13, 2013 at 9:08 pm

• matt carmody

January 31, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I guess the former academic advisor didn’t take the class that taught how to post only one comment containing identical content.

22. Ann G.

January 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I could not be any more proud of you if you were my daughter! Congrats! I just wish we had more Black women going the distance. Education is truly the key to our success, if we don’t have it, we cannot complain!

23. al williams

January 10, 2013 at 10:47 am

RIGHT ON SISTER,I DON’T KNOW YOU, BUT I FEEL VERY PROUD OF YOU AS IF YOU WERE MY OWN DAUGHTER,GOD BLESS YOU..