[adrotate block="1"]

Some Say TJ Holmes is Back on the Chopping Block at BET

dontsleep1

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

I recently received a message from one of my most respected colleagues, NBA free agent Etan Thomas.  Etan is one of the most important black men in America, largely because he has worked tirelessly to encourage black male athletes to embrace their intelligence and collective socioeconomic power.  In that regard, he is not only one of the most important black men in America, he is also one of the most dangerous.

With that being said, Etan sent this message to me about the new BET show, “Don’t Sleep!” With TJ  Holmes:

This wknd I heard from two reliable sources from BET that they are strongly considering not bringing back Don’t Sleep with TJ Holmes. They said that the network has to hear from people if they want it to remain on the air, otherwise it will be cancelled because the ratings were not that good. Smh so please spread the word and if you want this show to remain on as it is the ONLY positive show on BET, please flood this e mail address requesting this show stay on the air Sf.moore@BET.net.

I am glad to see that Etan is taking a stand for TJ.  I spoke with TJ for a while and found him to be intelligent, respectable and conscientious.  He was not (in the words of former ESPN contributor Rob Parker) a “cornball brother.” Yes, I do agree that cornball brothers exist, and most of us know what they might look and sound like.  Parker’s mistake was that it’s difficult to make these subtle references in the presence of a group of white folks who are paying your bills, which reminds us of why black people need to control more of our own media.

At any rate, I agreed with Thomas’ push to get BET to continue the show.   I mentioned a few weeks ago that TJ’s show is good for the BET audience, which has grown accustomed to being fed content that looks like it was created by Shawty Lo and his 10 babies’ mamas.  But the truth is that BET has created an audience that isn’t interested in education and has instead become addicted to psychological degradation.  Even the new BET slogan “We got you” speaks to the demographic to which it has chosen to appeal, and this is an audience that would rather see Kevin Hart than TJ Holmes any day of the week.

So, here’s my thought:  Maybe it’s time to stop expecting BET to be all things to all black people.   Not every white man watches Comedy Central or Spike TV, and not every black person is going to watch BET.  TV One, Inspire, Bounce and even the Internet provide options that are a far better fit for black folks who appreciate two-syllable thinking, and BET might be the place that is best fit for those who enjoy being intellectual zombies.

So, again, I hope that BET keeps TJ on the air.  The way they treat him is a telling reflection of the network’s world-view.  But as a Finance Professor,  I can tell you that I don’t see many purely capitalist incentives for making the investments necessary to build the audience that TJ needs in order for his show to be successful.  The deep financial commitment needed to develop TJ’s show would require BET to actually care about the black community more than it cares about money, which would lead to a lashing from their overseers at Viacom.

TJ Holmes hosting a show on BET is like Barack Obama marrying Kim Kardashian.   This might have been an ill-conceived relationship from the beginning.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a professor at Syracuse University and author of the book, “Commercialized Hip-Hop: The Gospel of Self Destruction.” To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

34 Responses to Some Say TJ Holmes is Back on the Chopping Block at BET

1. don castiglione, jr.

March 17, 2013 at 11:26 pm

no people, BET has always had a problem integrating
    high ranking network anchors or in-demand socially-conscious personalities for a long time, and also underpromoting them…especially after Tavis left back in the day…shall we count them down. Ed Gordon (after his stint at NBC), Jackie Reid (came from CBS) , Jeff Johnson (after being an up and comer with the NAACP)and now T.J. Holmes from CNN. BET has never put these cats in positions within their prime time line ups, nor really promoted them largely…get it straight homies…

2. Earl McDaniel

January 27, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I don’t have cable tv, but I did catch TJ Holmes show on the internet, and I thought it was a very good thought provoking show, it’s just the demographic that you are looking for has left the Bet scene, I hope if Bet doesn’t keep the show around, that someone else will pick up, maybe even the internet.

3. Rev. George Brooks

January 26, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Let me make it clear, from the first comment I made, that I like T.J. Holmes very much, and consider him a very good journalist. But he doesn’t seem to be cut out for serious news, or anything that is extremely serious, because that is just not his makeup. He needs to be more involved with shows that are lighthearted, but not comedy. One cannot be laughing and joking one minute, and then jump right on to a murder story down the street, or a war just broke out in some place, or hold a debate about women being raped, or banks being robbed. And even say something funny while in the midst of one of the above type stories. And I have not seen T.J. totally serious for say an hour or even a full half hour on a particular story. It’s just simply not who he is. But he is certainly NOT a cornball or whatever someone called him. He’s simply more of a fun-loving kind of guy. And there in nothing wrong with that. But mixing fun with serious news or anything else that is of a serious nature, just doen’s work too good. — Rev. George Brooks

4. Rev. George Brooks

January 26, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Let me make it clear, from the first comment I made, that I like T.J. Holmes very much, and consider him a very good journalist. But he doesn’t seem to be cut out for serious news, or anything that is extremely serious, because that is just not his makeup. He needs to be more involved with shows that are lighthearted, but not comedy. One cannot be laughing and joking one minute, and then jump right on to a murder story down the street, or a war just broke out in some place, or hold a debate about women being raped, or banks being robbed. And even say something funny while in the midst of one of the above type stories. And I have not seen T.J. totally serious for say an hour or even a full half hour on a particular story. It’s just simply not who he is. But he is certainly NOT a conball or whatever someone called him. He’s simply more of a fun-loving kind of guy. And there in nothing wrong with that. But mixing fun with serious news or anything else that is of a serious nature, just doen’s work too good. — Rev. George Brooks

5. Rev. George Brooks

January 26, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Aren’t black people aware of who really owns and controls BET, Bounce, TV One, Aspire, as well as most all so-called black radio stations, and other black media. WHITES and JEWS!!! And Jews in particular, who have always been bloodsucking black folks, in the media, as well as entertainment, and everything else that blacks have going that is about anything. But Etan Thomas, Debra Lee, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or any others among the so-called “Negro” leaders going to say anything about Jews being their masters. Jews are even bossing and controlling President Obama in the White House, and making EVERY decision for him. A friend of mine, the late Chuck Johnson, who owned Soulbeat TV in Oakland, CA for 25 years (two years before Bob Johnson started BET), is the ONLY black that has been truly independent of whites and Jews in black TV ownership, which was 100 percent black-owned. He didn’t allow a white nor Jew to tell him anything, nor be part of his channel. He died in 2003, and so did Soulbeat. BET’s white owners are pushing that lie about blacks only want the mess that is on BET, and Debra Lee is put out front to say this. As for T.J. Holmes, he needs to be with TV ONe, which is at least more black-owned than BET, but he has got to be MORE serious if he wanst to do serious work. — Rev. George Brooks

6. Dawn N. McKenzie

January 23, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Has he considered Oprah’s Network? I do not watch BET, so I can’t help here.

7. Dawn N. McKenzie

January 23, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Has he considered Oprah’s Network? I do not watch BET, so I can’t help here.

8. Dawn N. McKenzie

January 23, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Has he considered Oprah’s Network? I do not watch BET, so I can’t help here.

9. Herman Hawkins Jr.

January 23, 2013 at 7:22 am

BET is NOT the place for T.J. Holmes to host a show; it’s audience won’t accept it. His show would have been better on TV One. In fact, Holmes needs to shift gears and put it one that station and other like minded stations. Not MTV or VH1; they are like BET owned by Viacom. Keep in mind BET was promoting garbage while the Bob and Sheila Johnson were in charge; Viacom may it worse. Also keep in mind it is not only Black people that Viacom promotes garbage to; they do that for their own. Yuppie sitcoms like How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are mindless pieces of garbage(then again so are movies like The Hangover; no wonder they made the laughable Mike Tyson the token with his cameo appearances). Dr. Watkins is right about stations like Bounce and Inspire would do better. Holmes would even be better off trying the Internet per You Tube. Why do you think The Boondocks called BET “Black Entertainment Terrorism?” A better set of initials would be “Black Emasculatory Trash.”

10. SON

January 23, 2013 at 3:55 am

We as a people must stop looking for others to do for us. We must own our own to be able to put viable contact. But the bottom line is it’s all about the dollars. Only we can help us.

11. rosemary davis

January 22, 2013 at 11:00 pm

T.J. is a journalist not a talk show host he is not cut out for this type work he excells in journalism and that’s where he should be if he can’t get back to CNN maybe he can try ABC,NBC,or CBS as a correspondent or anchor but keep your head up T.J.you will be just fine and congrats on your little bundle

12. rosemary davis

January 22, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I knew it wa a mistake for T.J. when he left CNN at least he didn’t have the worries of his show being cancel.BET is known for doing this sort of thing and I understand perfectly about the ratings but you would think that they would do pilots on these dumb shows before they put them on television to see if people would watch that’s what the other Net works do they test shows first and if it is a no go than they scrap it and besides people have too work there aren’t to many working people up late at night watching anything what T.J. should do is take the remaining money on his contract and head back to CNN they have a new boss who just might be wiling to give him his old job back or better yet try MSNBC

13. Shirley Quinn

January 22, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Intellect and Profound Thinking was never the Matrix at BET… Breath, Bootie, & exposed Breast is the HeadLiner for BET.///What a Crying Shame to Waste this Black Talent, this very Able individual who really can make In-Roads into Late Night T.V., the Style, Format, the Delivery is Excellent. All T.J. needs is Concept from the owners of the Show… Racism is a natural expectancy, how it hurts when the Rich Black Brother Slaps your Face. Education, Economics, Fashion,Politics are the Leaders in the Media. Work with this Gem and See What WoW Looks Like. He is a Journalist, he must be groomed to Let Loose, follow the Demands of the Public. Please, Please, Please, Please Bring Back; I have been Waiting out of Breath – Can’t Sleep, On Watch for the Appearance of TJ… Don’t Let the White People get Him. Get Real Bet…

14. Margaret

January 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Because I believe that all things work for good when the Lord is in control, it will possibly be a good thing for this show to leave BET which limits the audience of such a positive, intellectual audience. As a former educator who realizes that our Black children need to watch tv shows that I personally do not find on BET, I think it would be a great move for T.J. Holmes. He is certainly capable of doing far better on another network! So, go ahead and make the move and see that your ratings will not improve because you have lost viewers like myself. I firmly believe that BET needs a complete OVERHAUL. Most of your shows are a disgrace to Blacks and I find them insulting and degrading.

15. Latrice

January 22, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I have an idea. All the black people who paid to see Django, should watch this show. The ratings would go thru the roof. Problem solved!

16. Barbara

January 22, 2013 at 8:32 pm

The Black people I know are looking for Black OWNED and Black CONTROLLED mediaa to support. BET is White owned and caters to the “gutter” of the Black community. We should not support Bob Johnson in his new effort to start another Black network, because he sold us out with BET, and look at the mess those money grubbing Whites did with BET.

I support TJ and Etan, but we must go in the direction of ownership and stop working for “The Man” and every other ethic group who comes to our community. Stop behaving as SLAVES to everyone.

• Barbara

January 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm

corretion

It should be “ethnic.”

• Satchel

January 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm

You raise a good point, ownership and control in my opinion is what is needed. Tavis Smiley used the Corporation for Public Broadcasting to get his message to the public, until he sold his services to Wells Forgo. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting awards grants to stations and independent producers to create programs and services. This may be something we can lobby the Obama administration to help us with. The CPB is supported by the government with our tax dollars.

17. Edward A. Smikle

January 22, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I am not surprised that TJ Holmes, is on the chopping block at BET. Given the fact that it require some intellegence to appreciate what TJ, is trying to do.
    The over all society that like seeing black women half naked and showing their body parts on TV. As well as given the history of BET, which never contributed anything positive about black people on the air.
    One have to understand that Bob Johnson, did not have any creative ideas in his head when he started BET. He wanted a show to make money. And because what he had on the air were naked women and GHETTO mentality people, he made money, as a matter of fact, he became a billionare.The white group that he sold the station to, had no intention of change the format. The name BET, is only in name, the owners are no longer black to my knowledge, I could be wrong, but I know the people who bought the station from Johnson were not black. TJ, would be better off if he took his idea to OWN, he may get a better reception from Lady O. Or even to Tyler Perry for that matter. Or he could start his own station, there is room for another black own channell.He know a lot of athletes who have money, they could do something smart for a change and invest in something positive like a tv station to tell our stories.

• blacjk jones

January 23, 2013 at 12:50 am

I agree TJ should try for OWN, The format is more fitted for his type of show—-I cannot understand why he would bring a show like “DON’T SLEEP” to BET—- he couldn’t have thought that he could change a long standing Channel known for “SILLINESS”—-Some times i think these SO-called intellectuals are the cause of keeping us stagnant for their own self serving intentions and boy are they successful at the “GAME”—– Reading this article you can plainly see the “BUZZ” words and all-the other name calling to incite a response…SUCH IS THE GAME!!!

18. kikki

January 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I don’t care for BET however wish TJ would go back to mainstream, adored him there

19. SeriousBlaque

January 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm

It’s on BET that’s why the ratings are low. That show is to good to be on BET anyway. It should be on TLC instead of that awful sisterhood show.

20. Elizabeth

January 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I DO NOT WATCH BET. I am sick and tired of their 60s and 70s reruns and their rap music and wild reality shows. They play to a very small audience in the African-American community. I hope to see T.J. back on mainstream news, come to MSNBC T.J.

You ae to talented for BET.

21. Dean Lynes

January 22, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I totally agree with Dr. Watkins. BET is no longer black owned and therefore doesn’t care about providing any meaningful programming. And if they really wanted TJ’s program to be viewed, they would not only invest in it, they would promote it. And not just on BET. I see other ads about BET programs on other cable networks. They need to promote it on BRAVO (During Housewifes of Atlanta), VH1(During Love and Hip Hop and TI and Tiny Family Hustle) and on Black Radio. Then maybe there would be an audience.

22. jeb

January 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Why is it that you people cannot/will not accept the fact that TJ Holmes is just not the right person for this job, just as Magic Johnson was not the man for a late night talkshow? TJ is a fairly decent journalist, but he sucks as a talkshow host. He lost what little remaining credibility he had with young black males, when he was stopped (racially profiled) by police in his hometown and refused to call it for whaat it was. This sent the wrong message to black males across the country who are faced with this everyday. TJ, in his high profile position, could have been an uplifting voice for these men, yet he chose to undermine the incedent as “just one of those things.” Then, the very first thing he does when given a talk show, is to attempt to tell young black males all across america, is how to deal with being racially profiled. Give me a break.