[adrotate block="1"]

Should Welfare Checks be Tied to Kids’ School Grades?

Yesterday afternoon, Fox News hosted a discussion on whether a Tennessee proposal to tie welfare checks to kids’ school grades was a good idea. The welfare fox debatedebate was between the writer of the Tennessee law and a former school superintendent who isn’t a fan of the proposed law.

Republican State Rep. Stacey Campfield said  the proposal will take parental accountability  “to the next level by saying, listen, if your kid is failing every single class because who knows what reason — unless you are a special needs child or something like that — we’re going to stop or cut back on the amount of straight cash payments you’re going to get.”

Campfield said this is a way to end the cycle of poverty.

“This has nothing to do with food stamps or school lunches or anything or school-housing vouchers,” he continued. “This is a straight cash payment that the state gives to these people that are in need, but we need to stop this generational poverty.”

Read More At Kulture Kritic

9 Responses to Should Welfare Checks be Tied to Kids’ School Grades?

1. Concern citizen

April 2, 2013 at 12:22 am

I think it’s an idea that we should try. Why not hold parents accountable? Why is that a bad idea? It’s not talking about cutting food stamps, so children will still eat. It’s stating to cut the cash benefits. I work in the school system. I taught for 9 years and now I’m a school counselor for the past 3 years. I have also worked in social services and mentored youth on probation. I am also a survivor from my environment. My mom didn’t receive welfare, but we grew up in urban Houston and my mom worked her butt off to provide for her children. Educators and school administrators are already receiving pay cuts and job losses. The blame and responsibility is already put on the school system. When will parents take responsibility for the academic progression of their own children. Or even better, work together with your school. Join PTA, SBDM, actually volunteer and come to your school’s parent teacher conference night. Support your child at school functions. I have seen student’s receive FREE lunch and parents don’t buy school supplies but their child is wearing $100 pair of shoes, they have big screen TV’s and the latest technology, but can’t afford pencils. It’s called personal accountability and priorities!!! I think it’s worth a try. Maybe parents will take some respinsibility, even if it’s forced on them. Keep in mind, it’s for their benefit. It’s also for OUR SOCIETY benefit. Many of our youth just want some positive attention from their parents. It’s actual growth for parents. I think it’s a start in the right direction.

2. Concern citizen

April 2, 2013 at 12:18 am

I think it’s an idea that we should try. Why not hold parents accountable? Why is that a bad idea? It’s not talking about cutting food stamps, so children will still eat. It’s stating to cut the cash benefits. I work in the school system. I taught for 9 years and now I’m a school counselor for the past 3 years. I have also worked in social services and mentored youth on probation. I am also a survivor from my environment. My mom didn’t receive welfare, but we grew up in urban Houston and my mom worked her butt off to provide for her children. Educators and school administrators are already receiving pay cuts and job losses. The blame and responsibility is already put on the school system. When will parents take responsibility for the academic progression of their own children. Or even better, work together with your school. Join PTA, SBDM, actually volunteer and come to your school’s parent teacher conference night. Support your child at school functions. I have seen student’s receive FREE lunch and parents don’t buy school supplies but their child is wearing $100 pair of shoes, they have big screen TV’s and the latest technology, but can’t afford pencils. It’s called personal accountability and priorities!!! I think it’s worth a try. Maybe parents will take some respinsibility, even if it’s forced on them. Keep in mind, it’s for their benefit. It’s also for OUR SOCIETY benefit. Many of our youth just want some positive attention from their parents. Don’t think of this as a negative thing. It’s actual growth for parents. I think it’s a start in the right direction.

3. Concern citizen

April 2, 2013 at 12:18 am

4. renae

March 29, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Well Well WEll, I am seeing many comments saying ” NO you should not stop the welfare benefits for kids not doing well in school because these kids don’t have the same resources bla bla bla.”
    People CUT The crap !
    Funny thing to me, I was a poor white kid growing up. I had a lazy good for nothing dead beat father that didn’t pay child support and got by with it. Back in the 60′s , they could. They could simply disappear and that was that . Nowadays not so easy. My mother received no help from the welfare department. I went to school hungry many times. We didn’t get free lunches either. My mother worked two jobs.
    Many times I sat in class with NO food in my belly. We had to change schools all the time because my mother was having to go where the work was yet my sister and I managed to get decent grades. We worked in the tobacco fields to buy our school clothes. I am sick and tired of hearing people say they can’t help their children with homework because they didn’t have the same resources growing up. That’s B.S. people. just plain B.S. I remember sitting in English class with black girls who sat directly behind me . We all had the opportunity to go to the school library to check out books for book reports and we all had the same amount of time to read our books. The black girls were NEVER prepared. Never . They would get a bad grade because they didn’t turn in a book report. I don’t want to hear that people can’t get to the public libraries. I have lived out in the country my entire life. 15 miles from town , YET while raising my children, I managed to find my way to the library for the summer reading program to help my girls . NOT ONE TIME did I see black children there. I saw Mexicans but no blacks. Funny thing to me, the mothers could find their way to the beauty salons but not the libraries. I don’t want to hear we need more programs. NO, that’s not what we need. What we need are dedicated parents. I had to quit school to help my mother pay the bills yet I managed to get a GED and managed to put myself through one year of college. I paid for it. All 3 of my children got good grades in school. Because I put them first .I worked factory jobs. 60 hour weeks yet , I managed to find time to help them with their homework. We have an entitlement crowd in this country that wants to lie around and let someone else do the work. This needs to stop. IF the parents are NOT doing the job, take the kids away from them . Stop the free ride . Quit rewarding people for being lazy. You people are a wart on the nose of humanity. Here’s an idea. How about putting back into the system. Do your jobs as parents . If it takes cutting your free ride for while to get you to participate , then so be it .

5. John Henry

February 25, 2013 at 6:36 am

No it,s not a good idea! And anyone in my opinion who thinks it is is slave or slave master minded. Low income black kids and parent,s are having a hard enough time trying to get their kids educated and through school. They do not need that kind of pressure coming from paternal slave master and slave minded folk in this society of which is the root of the very reason that these folk are on welfare to begin with.

6. ST

February 4, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Why is it that when we want to solve a problem we always want to blame and punish the least powerful? It’s the educational system’s responsibility to reach that child, too. Are we thinking about holding the educators’ checks. And why are we so concern about the poor cheating the system when we KNOW that the top 1% got there by cheating the system. They create rules just for themselves and divised their own loopholes. The fact that we need to take the checks of the people on the bottom, at a time when the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer shows that our educational system not only needs to teach Johnny how to read, it need to teach Johnny how to think and reason. FOX New makes ludicrous statements on a weekly basis. No wonder their losing viewers

7. MARK TRAINA

February 4, 2013 at 2:20 am

CHARTER SCHOOLS WORK WELL FOR RiCH WHiTE->

SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS!

Are Charter School Really Working?

“READ ALL ABOUT IT”

Charter Schools are working very well for GREEDY WHITE SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS and CORRUPT TOP LEVEL SCHOOL OFFICIALS”!

Charter School Operators are becoming MILLIONAIRES at our Children’s Expense.

Let me explain to you how:

CASE IN POINT: All Non-Profit Charter Schools have a “COKE and SNACK fund”. The “COKE and SNACK FUND” is actually worth Millions of Dollars annually!

FACT: Profits from “COKE and SNACK FUND” in Public Schools legally must be retained within the school for School and Classroom Improvements.

FACT: Charter School Operators have historically put the PROFIT from the “COKE and SNACK->FUN” in their left hip pocket.

QUESTION: How would you like to open a Restaurant and KNOW for a FACT over 1000 paying Customers were going to enter your Restaurant each and every day!

QUESTION: Can you imagine the possibilities for making Big Money-Busing, School Maintainance, Heating and Cooling Buildings, Cleaning Services, Chemical, etc. The possibilities for making “BIG MONEY” are endless and that is why all these Rich White People are spending Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars to get on School Boards that pay approximately $800.00 per month.

On a “MUCH” sadder note, very few Charter Schools are actually accomplishing their ACADEMIC GOALS and OBJECTIVES! Charter Schools in the U.S. have a long history of hiring Uncertified Instructors and Inexperienced School Administrators.

PROOF: CHARTER SCHOOLS SUCK~

8. DaddyAr

February 2, 2013 at 1:03 am

If they want to cut benefits make these workers start doing home visits to see who is getting over on the system. I also agree with Samori, the people they catch cheating the system, that money can be used towards making the school system better in lower-income neighborhoods.

9. samori

January 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm

simply…. Hell no!………. a child’s need for food , clothing and shelter should not be based on scholastic achievement. So low performing children bare the burden of the sustainability of the household?!?! WTF … Stop spending billions on war, nonsense technology, jails and put it back into quality schools and proper educational resources and teachers.