Chicago Mom Loses All Four of Her Children to Street Violence

violence111

The city of Chicago continues to be wrapped in a cloak of senseless violence.  This weekend, authorities say that there were seven people killed another six wounded in random shootings around the city.  One of the d**d was a 34-year old man whose mother has already lost three of her kids to street violence.  Ronnie Chambers was his mother’s youngest child and was s**t in the head while sitting in his car.

Police also say that there were two other double homicides in the city, one involving a 16-year old boy and another with a 32-year old man.  Two other men, roommates in their 40s, were s**t at a hamburger stand on the South Side of the city.

The increasing homicide rate in Chicago has been a source of concern for many in the black community.  The rate is not as high as it was during the height of the drug war, but it still makes residents unsafe.

This week in Chicago, former NBA player Etan Thomas held a panel on fatherhood at the Trinity United Church of Christ.  During the panel, conversations were held on how parents can protect their kids from violence.  Dr. Boyce Watkins, one of the panelists, says that parents must prepare their kids to avoid the violence and social factors that might ruin their lives.

“When a black child is born on the south side of Chicago, there is a prison bed and a casket already prepared for his body,” says Dr. Watkins. “One of the reasons that African Americans deserve reparations for the War on Drugs is because many of these social factors that have led to fatherless homes and teen violence were designed by others who were seeking to suppress social unrest in the 1960s and 1970s.  A generation later, it’s a big ol mess and everyone acts like we created it.”

72 Responses to Chicago Mom Loses All Four of Her Children to Street Violence

1. Apprendre à Trader Reply

April 12, 2014 at 9:33 am

Un veritable plaisir passez a lire cette article, je vous en remercie vraiment !!!

2. bahati sobukwe Reply

January 31, 2013 at 7:53 am

I know that I sound redundant on this post, but we cannot ‘get better’ because we have no roots. To be black in America and to be sane, one has to know thyself.
    Most blacks have no clue about who they are as a
    people, therefore, they have no respect for black life and black worth.
    How are we going to change if we worship materialism and white folks? Maybe if we just took the time and read and taught factual black history and I don’t mean the “we came from kings and queens” catch all phrase. A few did, but most of us were not kings and queens. We as a people are responsible for teaching our people until we internalize our African and American history. We need to know the cost we have paid to live in America and what that price we continue to pay, has done to us as a people.

We need to chastise each other, carefully, so that we know that negative behavior is not acceptable. We should not let the media define who we are as a people. We need to recognize insult to us as a people, whether it’s done by black or white. I truly fear for my people. It is a gargantuan task we have with the powerful media operating in America working against us. But, try we must!

3. Maria Reply

January 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm

What is wrong with the Mother she loss 4 sons ,she should have b**t the boys and told them that it could happen to them next each time one of them died, to me she sounds like she didn’t care to do anything!

4. Mz Reply

January 29, 2013 at 1:24 am

How much is really enough? We speak about gun reform as if that’s the answer to all of our children and young men dying on the city streets. Well, it’s not! In order to get to the fruit of a problem you must go to the root of the problem-poverty, corruption, self-hatred. “Poor people” have access to guns but not to education. Education teaches history, learning to read and write which helps empower. If someone is uneducated and many of our black boys are- than they are angry and anger breeds evil. Corrupt cops, lawmakers, people period-contaminate the City of Chicago. This won’t stop when every man is for himself-the Jackson family and Mr. Warren Ballentine, Arenda Troutman, Corruthers-all the black people who are supposed to be for black people are only lining their own pockets. Meanwhile, Cook County Jail is the new home to thousands of black men and women-some who should be in mental health facilities. It won’t stop until we have honarable people making honorable moves for our people.

5. Latrice Reply

January 29, 2013 at 12:41 am

@Duchess, the school is Urban Prep. It shows what our young black men can accomplish when someone who cares reaches out and help them reach their full potential

6. gmama Reply

January 28, 2013 at 4:13 pm

A nation that forget God shall be turned into h**l. We must teach our children to love and lead by example. It’s not about just praying its about faith through works. What happened to us as parents working together being able to correct our children? What happen to us requiring our children to respect their elders? Stop blaming institutions and accept responsibility.

7. duchess Reply

January 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm

The most I have seen of Chicago I saw from the tarmac of a plane during a layover. From what I have read I have missed nothing. Except a few years ago I read a wonderful article about an all boys college prep school that was doing outstanding things with the sons of the community it served. I dont recall the name but I do know the answer to getting out and staying out of messes such as this is self respect and education in that order.
    As a mother myself I cannot imagine the grief this mother is experiencing. Father heal her broken heart and give her peace that surpasses understanding.

8. duchess Reply

January 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm

9. gmama Reply

January 28, 2013 at 4:04 pm

10. TERRIE Reply

January 28, 2013 at 2:00 pm

As a child who grew up in one of the roughest projects in HARTFORD CONNECTICUT “CHARTER OAK TERRACE”. My mother raised six children (3 Girls/3 Boys) as a single parent and getting assistance from the state at 700 on the first of the month a 350 dollars on the 15th of he month with 500 in foodstamps and no child support from our father, who by the way lived in North Carolina and was a professional truck driver. I can nerver understand how my Mother made it without losing anyone of us to the streets, drugs, d***h , violence, but she did it. I just cannot justify a woman saying what she cannot do it. As for each one of my Mothers children, we all made it and were all college educated with great jobs!! The reason my mother left Connecticut, her father passed away, he lived in Charter Oak Terrace as well, and his funeral was in North Caroina, My mother, shiped his body to North Carolina and she packed only a few pieces of clothing for us to wear for one week with intentions on returning to the projects. Mind you that my Mother had just redecorated her place and had went out and brought her kids school clothes that very week. After the funeral, my Mother never returned to the state of Connecticut because she said she wanted to give her kids a better life and she meant it, she left a house full of new furniture,new clothes,food and anything else too. Anyone could have moved in and just started living because they didnt have to buy NOTHING!!! JUST LIVE!! My Mother made that decision to raise us in a better environment, so we never went back and she never looked back, she didnt want anything out of that house,all she wanted was a better life for her and her kids!! I thank GOD everyday for that one decision because we could have lived an horrific life or perhaps, maybe not! There is a book about CHARTER OAK TERRACE on the internet and it tells of the drug, gangs,prostitution that went on in that development and yes, we were witnesses to some of that!! So when a single mother says she cant do it, huh!! I say, just talk to my MOTHER and she will tell you “”HOW I GOT OVER”!! THERE IS NO REASON FOR A WOMAN TO SAY SHE CANT DO IT, h**l I HAVE A 20 YEAR OLD SON AND I RAISED HIM BY MYSELF AND IT WASNT EASY BUT SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, I GOT OVER!! HE could have joined gangs, dropped out of high school, sold dope, p****d women, but because of my determination, I meant BUSINESS!!! HE’s in college and he dont have a criminal background and mind you, I ran from an abusive relationship in 2004 from North Carolina to ATLANTA GEORGIA and I too left a houseful of furniture and clothes just to come to a shelter, I only took a very small tote bag and my child with me. It was the best decision that I ever made!! THANK YOU LORD!!SO LADIES, SINGLE LADIES VIOLENCE IS EVERYWHERE BUT YOU HAVE A CHOICE TO EITHER STAY IN IT OR GET OUT OF IT!! YES YOU CAN DO IT!! I HOPE THIS TOUCHES SOMEONE AND HELP THEM IN A WAY THAT THEY CAN STRIVE FOR THE BETTER!! I HAD AN EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW AND I DID, MY MOTHER WAS MY BIGGEST INSPIRATION TO DO EVEN BETTER, SHE ALWAYS SAID THT THERE IS A BETTER WAY A BETTER LIFE AND ITS UP TO YOU TO GO GET IT!!!

• maxiee Reply

January 28, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Terrie, your story sounds so much like my life story. I raised 6 children and with all the crazy stuff going on with these children, I can’t beleive that all are well and living. It seems that I’m more worried for them now. Some live in Seattle,Wa. and some here with me in South Carilina.They grew up in Seattle.I gave it my all. And it was hard, but I do with all my heart thank God each and every day I read stories like this.I know they can still be killed,but I just keep praying and he has answered. May God keep this woman in his loving arms.And I wish my kids will forgive me for being so strict.

• sugacan Reply

January 29, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I have always told myself, I don’t give a d**n how hard it is, before I sit there and watch my city, my man or my situation k**l my children, I will leave and start from scratch. If if means taking off walking in whatever direction, until my feet hit water, I’m going to get my children out of that situation. People all over the world do it. I think your mom was brave, strong and smart to say, “Whatever!” to material things left behind and think about the safety of her kids. That is what you call a real mom!

11. Marsha Reply

January 28, 2013 at 11:48 am

Even a dog will not eat spoiled food. No one is forcing anyone to take drugs. None of my brothers and their sons or wives (who live/lived in Chicago are/were drug dealers or users. Give me anohter excuse.

12. Marsha Reply

January 28, 2013 at 11:33 am

My father & mother reared up 14 children during years ranging from 1938 to 1964, nine of them being boys. We were raised in the segrated south. Many of us migrated to Chicago. No one is or were on drugs. No one went to jail. We all have children, some grandchildren (Some living in Chicgo). They all are doing well,graduated from High School a few are still in schools. 85% of our graduates went to college or still in colle. Please someone tell me how did this happen, especilly since all our first cousins,living in Chicago followed the same pattern? Bottom line, no one is forced to do drugs. The blame game is not working can we try something else please?

13. Fatima Reply

January 28, 2013 at 3:04 am

Do bodies have to drop on lake shore drive for anything to be done.When we not concern about OUR BLACK CHILDREN how do you expect someone to care. Why do we have so many Black Politician who just hold a bs title an election time be skinning and grinning with all my good black folks Shots ring out your body guards will wisk you away.Chicago isnt the only inner city going through Innner city blues.2004 my son graduated from college murdered 4 weeks later and share a space with my brother on the 2004 murder list. My brother was 178 my son was 181 19 days apart . It was seperate issues. We live in the burbs.You only know that pain when it happens to you. They was murdered in the inner city. My brother was s**t 11 times My son was s**t twice in his chest. He was 21 for 29 days and was accepted in a Graduate program. Our family still going through these cases was prosecuted. My Brother and Son birthday is 3 days apart. These two brothers was positive role models. My brother got his degree and been on his job for 12yrs. My son didnt get that oppurtunity. My husband was waiting for our eldest son to join him in his business.Our youngest son followed in his brother footsteps. He work with my husband and married a beautiful young lady and gave us a hansome grandson who looks like our eldest son.The Most High God gave us A Piece of heaven. HE GIVETH AN TAKETH AWAY. THEN GIVETH AGAIN NOW WITH MORE CLARITY. MY FAMILY NEVER STOPPED MARCHING AN PROTESTING FOR INJUSTICE. SOMETIME IT WONT MAKE THE NEWS.

14. Jeffrey Walker Reply

January 27, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I feel for the mom but I can’t help but ask, did she really do all she can to raise productive sons? Just asking.

• Satchel Reply

January 28, 2013 at 1:58 am

A simple formula:
      1.Go to school as far as your ability will allow.
      2.Find work or provide a service to the best of
      your ability.
      3.Have no children out of wedlock.
      4.If you marry have no children until you are able
      to support them.
      This formula won’t solve all of our problems, but no one can tell me it won’t make a difference or that it is too difficult.

15. WizardG Reply

January 27, 2013 at 11:04 pm

We are an ignorant and fully insane bunch of people whether black, white, or otherwise. We won’t understand why and we won’t admit this. We won’t believe reality, but we will believe fictitious fantasies that were either passed to our ancestors then to us from “whites” who received it from their mentally ill, and highly superstitious ancestors, of the dark ages!
    All this and more, has left us “blacks” handicapped on so many levels, even while we are educated by these “white rulers”.
    What many cannot see is hurting us because in many cases we are “too retarded” to see! The whites are picking their so-called leaders to help them continue conquering and stealing the wealth and resources of the world at any cost! Obama is their man because he helps them by representing them as they ramp up their g******e, rape and pillaging of Africa, etc. You cannot see this but of course the white man’s religious program and all of his other propaganda helps you to misunderstand his true intentions. You are not considered part of his overall successes but he does need to keep you in line! In order to keep everyone in line the lies and deception will continue just as the world g******e and pillage does. We die and find ourselves incarcerated in great numbers here, but it can never be as horrid as what “white controlled” Mr. Obama and his cohorts are helping to orchestrate in our motherland ‘Africa’ and other parts of the world! There is no end to these catastophic events because there is no end to our ignorance and the denial of human insanity!

16. Grace Thomas Reply

January 27, 2013 at 10:13 pm

As Stevie Wonder sang Heaven help the black man who want reach 21, help the man who gave that boy a gun heaven help us all! We need to start to use the creative arts to help discharge some of the internal self hate that young black men and women have for themselves. Where are the marvin gay’s the stevie wonders’. the malcolm X Have we as a people lost our authentic selves. the anger is a result of no vision and no soul. the music is so mechanical so there is no feelings except anger where is the love? where is the truth

17. Grace Thomas Reply

January 27, 2013 at 10:13 pm

18. Nadine Reply

January 27, 2013 at 10:04 pm

First off @ Kim…don’t give me the Whities c**p. That statement is untrue. Ignorance is in that statement as far as I am concerned. Secondly….I was raised in a suburb of Chicago, and it is not as bad as the South side of Chicago, although, it can be quiet v*****t. It is up to the family and friends of “all children” to educate, mentor, and role model for them a positive direction in life and ways to deter them from making the wrong choices in life that often have dire consequences. It does start in the home and then it is also up to the communities to stand strong against the violence in their neighborhoods and advocate to the government for positive alternative methods for young people to avoid following and living a life of crime. We as individuals, groups, communities and churches need to unite and do what must be done to bring light to the situation and address it aggressively and thoroughly to end this awful way of life for so many people that have the potential to become better people that make better choices. Just had to put that out there. God loves us all and we need to have the faith in him and obtain his guidance in leading all young people to a positive way of life.

19. Justice as Healing Reply

January 27, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Where did the gun(s) come from?

20. Kim Reply

January 27, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Whities love the fact with black on black crime, Blacks doing nothing to educate these ppl. Government is allowing the drugs to come in, in order for the chaos to continue, I mean ppl are killing these days as if life is a roachand no one gives a flyin d**n. My heart goes out to this sister and to any other who lost a child by senseless killing. JE-SUSSSSSSS!

21. John H Hill Reply

January 27, 2013 at 8:44 pm

We have to rise above it. Period.

22. Girl on Fire and Letting it Burn Baby Burn Baby Reply

January 27, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Do they ever catch these people doing all of these killings.

• cookie Reply

January 27, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I have to wonder do they ever look for them to begin with???

• Jackey Reply

January 27, 2013 at 9:53 pm

WHAT’S SAD IS THE COPS FIGURE IT’S BLACK ON BLACK CRIME SO THEY DON’T REALLY PUT A LOT OF EFFORT INTO LOOKING FOR THE CRIMINALS. THEY DON’T CARE. UNTIL WE START TAKING RESPONSIBLITY FOR OURSELVES THIS ISN’T GOING TO STOP. MOST OF THE TIME IT’S INNOCENT PEOPLE CAUGHT IN THE CROSS FIRE OF THIS SENSELESS AND NONSENSE KILLINGS. IT’S SO SAD. I DOES NEED TO STOP BUT TRY TELING THE IDIOTS THAT ARE DOING THE KILLING THAT. THEY FILL SHOOTING SOMEONE MAKES THEM MEN BUT WHAT THEY FAIL TO REALIZE WHEN YOU SHOOT AN UNARMED PERSON IT’S MAKES YOU A COWARDICE MURDERER. I JUST CONTINUE TO PRAY TO GOD TO STOP THE VIOLENCE.

23. Jt Reply

January 27, 2013 at 8:17 pm

We need to stop focusing on the conspiracy theories and focus on the problem Black on Black crime! We have to change ourselves and no amount of reparations can do it! We have to be better fathers, better mothers, better mentors. We have become a people who have lost the site of where we have come from. Helping one another get over the wall. Stop looking to the White House and start looking at our own houses to correct the problem. Reparations that’s the problem now selling ourselves out for the money!

• Margo Reply

January 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Well said, JT. I don’t know anything about Chicago but I don’t hear about any services steering young men away from the streets. Who is giving these young men HOPE? It would seem that more mentoring and state funded services are crucial here.

• Margo Reply

January 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm

• Margo Reply

January 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm

24. Dariel Pearson Reply

January 27, 2013 at 8:12 pm

some of these areas i would’nt DARE think about raising a family in I LOVE MY HOMETOWN , but i’m no fool either u better do like the hillbillies pack up and move 2 Beverly hills , lol but serious we have alot of beautiful surrounding suburbs, but 2 raise yo babies there OH NO u might as well b in the MIDEAST ] how can uput yourself thru that kinda stress everyday when the phone ring,or just getting home later than usual , what’s that quote on mondsay nite football “COME ON MAN ” u asking 4 it if u li9ve n these areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. DeepEntity Reply

January 27, 2013 at 8:00 pm

It’s kind of funny how a person can live in these type of communities but don’t really realize how Bad and depressing it truly is. My neighbor has had two of his daughter’s murder within a five year period. My niece was showing me her album book and reminiscing on school friend’s but it seemed more like a Obituary. My own Childhood friends will be home soon after doing a 55 years jail sentence. “The drug’s has ravaged the Black communities.”

26. johnccarlson Reply

January 27, 2013 at 7:50 pm

She should of moved out of the Chicago area after her first son got killed!!

• kim Reply

January 27, 2013 at 9:55 pm

it takes money to move out of the hood that one lives in.i am sure that if it was a option she would have done so.it is so easy for people to say she should have moved…so very easy to say so and so very hard when you can not.

• johnccarlson Reply

January 27, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Stop the blame and do something to stop all this black on black crimes.Murder,rape,car jacking,Home invasion,dope selling..Someone please stop all this madness.It’s not the white’s killing and raping! Stop blaming and stand up to it..stand up and be accountable for this destruction of a Beautiful race…

• coast cooker Reply

January 28, 2013 at 10:37 am

@ kim..You said a mouth full.That statement is so true..

• coast cooker Reply

January 28, 2013 at 10:37 am

@ kim..You said a mouth full.That statement is so true..

27. Harvey Reply

January 27, 2013 at 7:24 pm

The Dr. Is Trippin and being dramatic grave or prison give me a break stop the sport f****n