African-Americans Consume More Fast-Food Than Any Other Race

The percentage of African-Americans who consume fast food products drastically outnubers the percentage of other races.

In recent years, fast food has grown to be a staple in many American diets; however, the percentage of African Americans that are consuming fast food products far outnumbers the percentage of other races. “African Americans between the ages of 20 and 39 were shown to have the most fast food in their diet when compared with their Caucasian and Hispanic counterparts, as one-fifth of their calorie intake came from quick service restaurants”, reports Afro.com.

This is alarming, especially considering that the country has slowly been shifting towards more healthy options. Many African Americans attribute their alarming support of unhealthy fast food to the higher price of healthier food choices or not having the time to prepare daily home cooked meals. “Fast food is quick and I don’t have time to cook with my lifestyle. I’ve gained weight but I think it’s because I’ve been less active physically since I graduated. I don’t even like fast food that much but it’s convenient”, said Kelli Williams, a 24 year old lab technician. This is understandable but there are much healthier fast food choices that are reasonably priced.

Older people are not being affected as extensively by fast food consumption because they are more likely to be preparing meals at home themselves. “The study showed that older adults aged 60 and over, ate at quick service restaurants less than younger Americans with only 6 percent of their diet coming from quick service restaurants. Men and women of that age group had no considerable difference in the amount of fast food they ate”, reports Afro.com.

This does not surprise me, but it seems they could still be in danger of suffering the same health issues as their younger counterparts because of the types of foods that older Blacks tend to cook. According to the World Health Organization, “one in 10 humans are currently obese, opening themselves up to a host of diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.”

Do you believe fast food chain’s aggressive advertisement campaigns targeting the African American demographic market are the cause of the mass consumption from our community?

Malcolm Morrow, a Your Black World Network contributor, is a senior, criminal justice major at The University of Southern Miss.

24 Responses to African-Americans Consume More Fast-Food Than Any Other Race

1. Cher

May 7, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Well I won’t bite some stereo types on here about young black mothers, but I will say this much. I believe the article has a point on both ends. Fast food targets poorer communities because they know that most parents work all day, maybe even two jobs, and thus aren’t going to be up for cooking on top of it. So what better demographic to promote ur business to? I on the other hand was raised in a cooking family. My grandfather often cooked for the whole crew of us (6 children and 9 grands) unfortunately, he didn’t live long enough to see our children. But I remember him making us promise that we would never send our children to school without a hot meal. As a black man raised in Jim Crow South, he couldn’t always make enough money to feed his children everyday or even a hot meal before school. To honor my grandfather wishes until this day I still cook a hot meal, now whether or not my teen eats it is another story. I actually find cooking quite pleasant and relaxing. If u need to relieve some stress take out a good piece of steak and start pounding it! Makes it nice a tender and helps u relax. Now that’s food therapy, lol

• Cher

May 7, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Sorry, I meant to add the following statement. I can understand where the young lady is coming from that stated healthier food is more expensive and the young brother whom discussed the modified “food” that other countries have BANNED, but somehow the US is still stating it’s ok to eat! I mean really 3rd world countries have banned this stuff and yet a 1st world country is still promoting the garbage to it’s citizens? Anywho, I know it’s easier but in the long run the slow and steady turtle always wins the race. As a society and a people we need to slow down, because we’re abandoning the most important things like our children and our health for fame and wealth! I know it’s hard, especially as a single parent to think about another thing to do, but our children are worth it.

2. Dr Ken

February 26, 2013 at 10:11 am

Latrice-

I just want to say you are so right! Every time something comes out bad it is always about us ( black people) and we always jump in and believe the junk. Don’t get me wrong we do eat fast food, but no more than any other group of people. but they decide to focus on us like we are their study rats. They never say anything good about black people. It always something bad. Don’t you guys see! If all we see is negative things about us , we will fall for the game! Remember what brothers Malcolm and KIng said, if you don’t stand for something and know that you are kings and queens you will fall for anything.

Just think, they control the media, the studies and the outlets. Years ago they said that we were the largest group on public Aid. about 7 years ago the truth came out that white women were the largest group on public aid. Just think about it, if we only make up about 17% of the population in the USA, how can we be the the highest group of these resources….. But we believed them and was going around quoting that lie!

Let stop the stupid game with them. They are consumers of the fast food just like us! By the way the once said that we don’t read or respond to surveys… If that is so.. How did they do the study. Don’t tell me. They stood outside every fast food place and counted the blacks…Get real!

• Albert Hill II

February 27, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Dr. Ken I understand your frustration, but the reality is there are a myriad of polls, surveys & CDC research that shows that African Americans consume much more “fast food” than other demographic, quickly being overtaken by the Hispanic populace. In my own observation, I have witnessed young African Americans eat McDonald’s daily throughout Chicagoland, this is a sad realty. I’ve had young men I mentor & my own nephew inform me that the only time they touch their stoves are for hot dogs & frozen pizza

3. blacjk jones

February 25, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I must admit i eat fast food occasionally…..yes their are grocery stores everywhere with lots of genetically modified foods, i’m not sure how these foods affect the human body—it’s something to think about— seems as if they’ve got us coming and going–the best choice would be FARMERS MARKET, more FISH (seafoods)—–food is hard to resist for some— because of it’s comforting affect—but we’ve gotta take a stand and eat only whats good for our bodies.PEACE!!!

4. deloris

February 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm

It does not take a scientist to figure out what we should eat. Tomatoes, celery, apples, oranges, bananas, peanuts, walnuts, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers all of these can be eaten without cooking. Put some beans in the crock pot. The pot will cook them. We need to take better control of what go into our mouth. It is stated that todays babyboomers will not outlive their parents. There was no fast food when the 90 years old came along. They cooked everything. Stop allowing others to decide what we will eat. Stop complaning about not having a grocery store. Start one in your neighborhood. Even if it is a cart on Saturday. Sell to your neighborhood, church and other businesses that are located close to you.

5. Mali-Ma

February 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Ok, Next time when you order just order you a grilled chicken sandwich and a bottle of water, no mayo or cheese in the sandwich and always skip the fries.
    You see, am a skinny brother, am hang low, big bonded and love me some fat women lol, ha..! Ha..! Ha..!
    Do not eat the top skin of the fried chick, just pill off the skin and just eat the meet. The top skin contains a lot of oil (reused oil) which is bad for your health.
    If you can try and do you own cooking as much as you can.
    Corporate American is here to make you stay unhealthy there by sending you to hospital for more medical bills. Don’t you know by now the fast food industry and the medical industry work hand in hand? Just like the prison industrial complex and the law enforcement industry (including judges) work hand in hand.

6. Mali-Ma

February 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm

If you can try and do you own cooking as much as you can.

7. Wakeup

February 25, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I eat fast food myself, but I enjoy nutritious low calorie homecooked food. Keep it healthy everyone!

8. Onesilverbac

February 25, 2013 at 1:05 pm

There we go again; blaming the white man! You eat what you want! The fast food industries don’t get collectively $20.00 from me in a year!

I don’t often go to the “soul food” places either. the food is tasty, however not prepared properly, (in a healthy manner).

In case you didn’t know it, the very same fast food outlets are everywhere, not just in our communities!

9. Albert Hill II

February 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

We have a current generation that has 3 generation of Mothers that don’t cook, I’ve had young men tell me that the only time they tuoch their stoves is for frozen pizza or hot dogs. They consider McDonald’s “real food” & home cooked meals something you eat when you can’t afford “real food”. Currently in the African American community, not even Grandmother’s cook, just lazy & irresponsible & so unhealthy, many of the young men I mentor have only had home cooked meals @ my home. I’ve asked around holidays are you going to Grand Ma’s to eat, they respond “why she doesn’t cook”, this is cultural norm in Chicago, they eat McDonald’s 4 to 5 times a week & on Holidays

10. Ann G.

February 25, 2013 at 10:19 am

African Americans have gotten lazy. Our grandmothers/gfathers/mothers & fathers worked a hell of a lot harder than we do today and they managed to cook a decent meal each & evey day for their families. My mother worked a night shift and she started the meal & I finished it when I got home after doing my school work. We can not blame the fast food companys. Young women today are not being taught to cook, their time is not organized, both of my sons and my daughter know how to cook because I took the time to show them. Sad to say my daughter-in-law cannot cook, clean or wash clothes. She was not taught, she has her masters, a damn good paying job and she knows how to socialize but that is the extent of her, oh yea and she knows how to pop a sleeping pill so she can get her rest at night, life is just too hard for her, she has no idea what life is.

11. jim

February 25, 2013 at 8:22 am

The lack of discipline and the convenience is why we suffer from the ill effects of fastfood . And before you get on your high horse Im just as guilty . I think if we look at health as a cost savings in terms of drugs , extended hospital stays we/I/you can turn this around .

12. Tracey

February 25, 2013 at 7:16 am

African American is not a race. It is a nationality. And who did this study?

13. Herman Hawkins Jr.

February 25, 2013 at 6:34 am

The fast food diets we have developed over the years is nothing more than the extension and expansion of the slave diets our ancestors were forced to endure. I worked in the fast food industry for more than a decade on multiple occasions, yet I found time to cook my own food most of the time. I worked 2 jobs and overtime on one job and still found time to cook. You have to make time even sacrifice recreational time to take care of your bodies. We cannot continue to rely on McDonald’s and others to take care of us. This is slowly but surely killing us.

14. corbin56

February 25, 2013 at 4:50 am

I don’t really know how true this is, but there are a ton of fast food joints in black neighborhoods. Also, people are much lazier these days. No one wants to cook but everyone loves to eat.

15. corbin56

February 25, 2013 at 4:49 am

16. Michelle

February 25, 2013 at 4:28 am

I don’t doubt that our numbers are high (perhaps not the highest) but I would venture to correlate our poor health with the consumption of fast food. As I think of the closest major corner to me it has a TacoBell, KFC, Burger King, Panda Express, El Pollo Loco, McDonalds and Fosters Freeze….all within a two block radius. Am I overweight? No but that’s because I work out and watch what I eat-which means avoiding these places whenever possible.

17. Latrice

February 25, 2013 at 3:38 am

Its amazing to me that we believe EVERYTHING NEGATIVE somebody says about us. We never doubt it!! Come on people its not about being in denial its about not having self hatred!!! Highest hiv rates..we believe it..more on welfare..we believe it..fattest women..we believe it.. more men on the dl..we believe it..more of our men in jail than college..we believe it..more of our women single and lonely..we believe it. They say we have the highest unemployment, the lowest disposable income, where is this money for fast food coming from?? I’m starting to think this site is ran by neo nazi and the kkk. Its so negative about us ALL THE TIME!!

18. al williams

February 25, 2013 at 12:42 am

First of all there is Truth to this I see it on a Daily basis,it’s been proven in surveys over and again in Urban Communities there are Fast food Places on just about every corner,just because you don’t see them inside, they still use the Drive thru,my Grandkids would eat it everyday if it was left up to them,I have to Check their Mom constantly,do your own Research it’s true.

19. Angela

February 24, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Ruby, are you really getting the point that’s being made here?

20. Angela

February 24, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Ruby, are you really getting the point that’s being made here?

21. Angela

February 24, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Ruby, are you really getting the point that’s being made here?

22. Ruby from NJ

February 24, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I don’t know who wrote the caption, but there is no “black race.” There is one race: the human race. Instead, use “group” or “ethnic group.” In the Twenty-first Century people know nothing about anthropology. You don’t have to go to school to learn about it; it’s in newspapers and news magazines all the time. Perhaps, a little less playing of video games, shaking our booties and listening to hip hop music would leave some time to find out about the world around us. I’m just saying.