denzel12

Denzel Washington isn’t like most of the famous actors around him. He doesn’t go hob-nobbing around with the rich and famous in the film industry.  You also aren’t likely to see him at every single party, especially the ones where all the of drug use and other craziness tends to take place.

According to Denzel, in an interview with the Guardian, “Actually, even within the industry, I don’t have any actor friends. My friends are old friends. One’s an ex-music guy, the other’s a restaurant owner and the other’s an ex-pro ballplayer.”

He said that he doesn’t make friends to try to get a job and that he’s not a ‘b**t-kisser.’

He went on to say, “My wife and I were raised right. I don’t want movie-star friends. And being African American, there were no big movie stars to hang out with anyway, not when I was starting out, they were just the third guy from the back! For whatever reason, I never befriended any white actors.”

His public relations representatives were quick to point out that in the interview with the Guardian they omitted the part where Washington said after he said ‘never befriended any white actors’ he mentioned ‘except,’ and then listed Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts.

As the interview went on Washington continued, “I’m a working actor! What’s a celebrity anyway? Paris Hilton’s a celebrity. I’m just a working actor.”

Washington said that his religious scruples play a big part in his life and work. He commented on a line in one of his films, ‘Flight,’ that when he said ‘God help me’ it was very important to him. “As an arc as much as anything. You see this b**t-naked, coke-sniffing, weed-smoking guy finally get to the point where he can say: ‘God help me.’ He gets his life back.”

Denzel already has two Oscars to his name for the movies ‘Glory’ and ‘Training Day.’ He is now up for his third Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in “Flight.”

Even though he keeps his private life separate, and he doesn’t ‘b*tt-kiss’ or ‘schmooze’ with other famous actors, Denzel can still have the career that he wants.

131 Responses to Denzel Washington Candidly Says He Doesn’t Have Many White Actors as Friends, and Doesn’t Kiss Up to Anyone

1. http://www.buildbragg.com Reply

April 21, 2014 at 8:18 am

Great blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

2. Esther Christion Reply

March 19, 2014 at 8:03 am

I got my IPhone five protector/case by way of a colleague of the close friend who is effective within a lawful office. These are typically so cute and trendy and very good ample to protect my new phone.

3. Malik Reply

August 14, 2013 at 8:49 pm

i like his acting skills. i just wish he stop taking parts where he has to die for white people. every one of his jewish produced movies, he dies for the second character..

they couldnt make him wear a dress or do gay things.., so, they continually sacrifice him.

4. carol Reply

August 14, 2013 at 5:11 pm

DENZEL YOU’RE MY HERO,

5. Mark Reply

August 12, 2013 at 10:07 am

I usually share positive articles about African-Americans on my website and facebook page. However, since I am unable to find the original article, I won’t share this, it focuses on the negative. I would like to read the original article to put this article into context. Keep up the good work Denzel.

• MsPeppa Reply

August 14, 2013 at 5:32 pm

@Mark

Exactly what negative are you referencing. That he has few white actors as friends. Are you saying that NOT having white friends is negative?? I hope you’re not saying that. That is just like saying if a black man only dates black women he is closed minded. I applaud Denzel for not feeling the need to have superficial friendships, just to get roles. He is one of the better African American actors. I’ve met Denzel three times, once in Chicago at an R Kelly concert, one at the Bodyguard premiere party for Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner and the other time was at his movie premier of Training day. He is a stellar man and gives you such a warm old school vibe. I am more than certain that if a white actor gave him the vibe that he feels is real and not plastic, he’d have no problem befriending them.

6. Harry Travis Reply

August 12, 2013 at 8:57 am

I love and admire a MAN who does what he has for our veterans and more, He is a true American, he is not racist, or acting like he hates the world and isn’t asking for free handouts like most of the rest.
    I respect and honor this man as well as thousands of my other comrads.
    Thank you Denzel A man a hero and Just a great man who deserves any honor he can get

7. Wade Reply

August 12, 2013 at 8:01 am

Denzel Washington or anyone for that matter shouldn’t have to kiss up to anyone. Give GOD the Glory for your Blessings, Stay Humble & Work Your Talent… What He / We Do In Our “Private Lives” Should Stay THAT, “Private”…

8. Dennis Montgomery Reply

August 12, 2013 at 7:48 am

Continue to keep it 200% DW!

9. diana Reply

August 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Since a lot of you are saying Denzel is not an azz kisser I would like to know oinions on who you guys think are azz unle tom kissers. I would say Tracy Morgan Terrell Owens Chad Johnson Eddie Murphy and who else? Please add to the list. Thks

• Ligia Clayton Reply

August 12, 2013 at 11:31 am

Kanye West, Lil Wayne, J. Anthony Brown…

10. Jdub81 Reply

August 11, 2013 at 9:53 am

Wish he could hold a workshop and spread his knowledge about being a “celebrity ” to these rappers who think they are big time “celebrities”!

11. Larry Syid Reply

August 10, 2013 at 3:28 pm

His greatness will not become a reality until he works with Pitchvine Ent,llc

• isaiah Reply

August 11, 2013 at 11:40 am

whos pitchvine

12. Varice Reply

August 10, 2013 at 10:39 am

Denzel keeps it real! God bless you, Denzel! Love ya!

13. Darrell Johnson Reply

August 9, 2013 at 12:35 am

“To thine own self be true”…all about the man in the mirror…Good Stuff!!!

14. Read and think Reply

August 8, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I respect D. W. as a MAN, FATHER,HUSBAND, and God fearing human. Keep do it all.

15. Elder Ray Reply

August 8, 2013 at 8:52 pm

A great example to all aspiring entertainers: You can make it “big” without having to throw aside all sense of morality for the sake of the mighty dollar. Thanks Denzel, you The Man!!!

16. Diane Vaillancourt Reply

August 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Great actor and hard worker. Too each his ow.

17. Epaphroditus Elkahan Reply

April 7, 2013 at 11:04 am

WE THE PEOPLE

Love Strength and Honor!!!

18. Pattycake RN Reply

March 3, 2013 at 7:10 pm

GLORY AGAIN!!!

19. Pattycake RN Reply

March 3, 2013 at 6:36 pm

GLORY!!!

20. Blythe Dhia Reply

February 28, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hold the phone. Hold the phone. Now, I’ve heard some thangs about Denzel in the past – his misuse of women and that “white stuff,” so let’s not act like he’s perfect. HOWEVER, I do respect this man’s craft/career, his apparent loyalty to his family and his work with charitable organizations such as the Boys Club of America. I’m glad that’s the side he chooses to put out there for the public. Too many celebs are now airing too much of their dirty laundry and it’s overwhelming their professional lives. I applaud Mr. Washington for keeping his dirt in the dark and showcasing his talents and morals.

• Donna Reply

August 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm

“Now, I’ve heard some thangs about Denzel in the past – his misuse of women and that “white stuff,” so let’s not act like he’s perfect.”

The key words in your sentence is IN THE PAST. He, nor anyone else, claimed he was perfect. Just closer than most of us.

• MsPeppa Reply

August 14, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Actually Donna, the key words in that post is “””I’ve HEARD”” Like my dad always used to say F^kk what cha heard. Rumors die with nosey drama ridden people. Until I see proof of it, keep on believing what YOU SUPPOSEDLY HEARD. I heard you’re a white person trying to distort the man’s good name. SEE HOW THAT WORKS Blythe Dhia.

21. B.R.W. Reply

February 27, 2013 at 7:57 am

Denzel Washington and President Obama the blue print to a good black man.

• Kebras Reply

August 12, 2013 at 3:58 am

I heard Morgan Freeman said That Pr. Obama is a honorable man because he never complains about political obstructionisme that congress is playing..
      Denzel is also a very honorable man. He is a working actor. A good question is what is a celebrity ? I think Denzel just reminded every 1 to get a life and stop kissing so-called celebrities media driven gossip and strucked entertaimnt industry’s ….

• zi Reply

August 12, 2013 at 9:49 am

“Denzel Washington and President Obama the blue print to a good black man.”
      Yes they are beautiful, stand up black men. And I love my president as much as I love Denzel, But it bugs me when people make comments like this one. They are not the first or only good black men. There are tones of them out there. The media only shows you the ones acting a fools so that masses stay ignorant. With a few sprinkles of good ones. And by the way there was a black man WAY more famous than the both of them put together and way more righteous. Yes, JESUS. smh Please think about what you’re saying before you say it.

22. Wendy Williams Reply

February 27, 2013 at 12:21 am

Thanks Denzel, coming from you t just shows I am doin something right…I have never been one to kiss up, no matter what the color, it’s just not my way of doing things…I get called names, that I’m harsh with words, not sensitive, too strong minded…people like life to be sugarcoated and I just wasn’t brought up that way, I am straight and to the point, people say I’m to strong willed. And it’s funny because the two white men I knew the longest turned against me because of my honesty…one I knew for twenty-something years and the other I knew for nine…it was very hurtful to lose them both, but I was being truthful and honest about a situationin each one of their lives, and no, they did not know one another…I don’t kiss up…thank you Denzel for being you…

23. Wendy Williams Reply

February 27, 2013 at 12:21 am

• Peter Pants Reply

August 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm

That sounds different from who Denzel is. You sound self-righteous and stuck up. No one wants that kind of person in their lives.

24. Wendy Williams Reply

February 27, 2013 at 12:21 am

Thanks Denzel, coming from you t just shows I am doin something right…I have never been one to kiss up, no matter what the color, it’s just not my way of doing things…I get called names, that I’m harsh with words, not sensitive, too strong minded…peope like life to be sugarcoated and I just wasn’t brought up that way, I am straight and to the point, people say I’m to strong willed. And it’s funny because the two white men I knew the longest turned against me because of my honesty…one I knew for twenty-something years and the other I knew for nine…it was very hurtful to lose them both, but I was being truthful and honest about a situationin each one of their lives, and no, they did not know one another…I don’t kiss up…thank you Denzel for being you…

25. Wendy Williams Reply

February 27, 2013 at 12:21 am

26. red723 Reply

February 26, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Denzel is an inspiration. I wish we could have more Denzels representing our community the right way in hollywod. Much respect.

27. jazzy Reply

February 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Denzel Washington is the greatest actor out there and the greatest man out there.

28. imohotep menelik shabak Reply

February 25, 2013 at 1:04 pm

and there are no “takes” on that!!!

29. imohotep menelik shabak Reply

February 25, 2013 at 1:04 pm

and there are no “takes” on that!!!

30. imohotep menelik shabak Reply

February 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm

and there aree no “takes” on that!!!

31. Ward Morrow Reply

February 25, 2013 at 11:53 am

Now, that is what I call a real “role model” who every american should look up too. He is a credit to all americans. Thanks for not getting caught up in all of the hipe of Hollywood.

• jason Reply

February 26, 2013 at 12:49 am

I’m White male and NOT liberal. … I CAN NOT believe he has no WHITE friends “He’s Racist!!! HAHAHAHAHA
      I don’t care if he is an Actor and Famous. Hollyweirds tend to be Fake and clueless.
      What I deduce is Mr. Washington sounds and acts like a good man. He doesn’t have any white friends, So What! If he has good morals is honest and a good father/husband to his family Thats all any one should care or ask!
      I will always respect a good man.

Like you said a good American

• Helen Hull Reply

February 26, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I don’t think Denzel said he didn’t like white people, he is to much of gentleman to say something like that. I think he cares for different races, he just said he dose not have many friend. don’t have many friend either. But sometime white people will treat you better than some black people, i am not trying to make anyone mad, I am telling you of things that I have come to face in my life. So don’t think DENZEL do not like other races I thank he like many people. I am a Denzel fan.

• vell Reply

August 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Jason, I am a liberal and I respect your post(although I disagree with the premise). See, people don’t have to agree to honor decency.

32. Miz Rose Reply

February 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

I have the up most RESPECT for the Washington’s for keeping it real! God Bless

33. Sharona Reply

February 25, 2013 at 9:40 am

HEAT?? What for? He spoke his mind and said it beautifully. Reminds me of myself. Will always love his work and respect him as a MAN.

34. edward wright Reply

February 25, 2013 at 9:02 am

Yoooo! very good for me, like what i read and love what i see i love the fact that he didnt marry light as white and explained the phenomenon of that in hollywood/nba/nfl. he kept it real to his daughter. he didn’t change his skin he used whats within peace.

35. Jamaica Alexander Reply

February 25, 2013 at 6:59 am

I appreciate Mr. Washington’s candor. Speaking your mind, especially when it goes against the perfect image of the “new main stream Hollywood” is always a sensitive matter, and especially when it encompasses talks of race in America. His approach is very classy. Some of his words, to no surprise, were omitted to raise tempers, but most of Hollywood and America know that Denzel Washington is anything but predjudice (well, we’re all prejudice to some degree – it’s the nature of growing up in a nation who’s foundation was based on prejudice). His words speak of truth and the real world of a black man in America…whether he is famous or not. In this nation, our social circles are convex, but there will always be a part of us that remains only for our family and minority friends. It doesn’t mean blacks don’t like the white race, it just means black people know that in this nation, and many others, black and white are still not treated equally so blacks don’t pretend to be looked upon as equal to white people and those who are proud simply being minority and good at what they do, are comfortable in their skin and don’t mind sharing their true thoughts with the world. So, well done Mr. Washington.

36. Sharon Reply

February 25, 2013 at 4:30 am

That’s what a real man does ….quietly speak his mind…Can’t say I blame him for staying out of the messiness that those people create …He’s not fake or superficial .and he actually loves his wife …

37. Cynthia Ward-Johnson Reply

February 25, 2013 at 1:13 am

The fact that such a big deal is being made out of one harmless comment ticks me off. Out of the entire interview this one comment is the focus. This my friends is another example of covert racism. Denzel did not say he disliked white people…he merely explained his lifestyle. It’s race baiting and meant to give people the impression that he doesn’t like white people and I think it is dispicable. I’m sure there are many famous White people that do not have Black or African American friends…that doesn’t mean they don’t associate with them.

38. Peter D. Slaughter Reply

February 25, 2013 at 12:35 am

• DJ Reply

February 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

Can’t we do both? Are we not human? Is this truly something that is mutually exclusive? If you watch television or a movie, you can’t be about uplifting your family and community? No, because we don’t deserve anything good or pleasant, despite the fact that most people of African ancestry in this country are working quite hard to make it and to raise their children right, against some tough circumstances, because…

• zi Reply

August 12, 2013 at 10:03 am

“Overall, I wonder could black people get over watching people on TV and in these movies and just focus on rebuilding these so-called urban areas to stop the black on black violence and self hate and make it better for a lot of kids growing up today.”
      I’m wondering what planet ur from. Every time blk america tries to rebuild (ie Blk wall street) white america bombs it, literally. Know some facts. Check the Willie Lynch letter. The programming that was done in slavery to cause self hate etc is still being used today via television/ internet. So before you speak, do some reading, and some digging. Know the real underlined reason these issues still exist. Af Ams are the only group of people that where stripped of the names, culture, past, etc. and we all know the quote, “if you don’t have a past you can’t have a future” Those things were done purposefully. And as written on the walls of the library of congress, Washington DC, “knowledge comes from the East (Africa) and the law from the west, America. Good reason (mental ability) to be scared of the black man and turn him against him self. Now we can even take this spiritual. God’s chosen people… I dont have time for all that tho…Anyway do some research before you think/write.

39. Babs Reply

February 25, 2013 at 12:12 am

Denzel is a Real Man with integrity I feel that he is a great role model for all young men. Denzel is his own man he’s got IT either you have IT or you don’t. If you’re wondering what IT is I (Intellect) T (Tenacious). He is a Believer yes he belives in himself. Denzel keep doing what you’re doing it works for you.

40. Babs Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Denzel is a real man he has integrity and he should be a role model for all men. Either you got it or you don’t well Denzels’ got it he makes me proud. Keep believing in yourself Denzel good luck in your future endeavors. You are a great actor stay true to yourself.

41. cheche Reply

February 24, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Sam Jackson don’t take stuff from White Hollywood either. Both of them are their own men.

42. Edward A. Smikle Reply

February 24, 2013 at 9:23 pm

He is a true Artist, he does his craft well. I respect him as an actor and a decent black man. I hope you win your third award tonight.

43. darkandlovely Reply

February 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I wish some of us would do our homework before we say who or who hasn’t given to black charities. If you haven’t read where Denzel has given, please utilize Google and you will see that he has. And how much have the complainers given to black charities? You don’t have to be rich to give.

44. charles mcghee Reply

February 24, 2013 at 8:51 pm

When you’re as well known and have the status of Mr. Washington and can send your children to any big name University you want to but still support an HCBU I’m behind you a 120%!

45. Elizabeth Reply

February 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm

The title is misleading. Mr. Washington does not make any racial comments against whites. He merely speaks on his life and values. Report the truth!

46. MsWanda Reply

February 24, 2013 at 7:01 pm

This morning I saw this the documentary about Harry Belfonte and have a new found respect for this man. Sing your Song.(check it out on demand) Now this afternoon, I am in tears from reading what Denzel stated he’s right about him and his wife being raised right. I have even more love and respect for the both of them. Only a real man can speak those words and know he’s a man. I thank him for being an example of what a real man is. I thank him for being so courageous and upstanding. I hope more men and women can start to find themselves just from reading this statement. Much Love!

47. Quammie Reply

February 24, 2013 at 6:36 pm

He has never given any money to help the negroid people.

• Regina James Reply

February 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Has any of the people making movies or acting contributed? What about the althletes too! Very few! But he make be giving to certain organizations and you may not know because he does not televise his deeds! Whatever the case is I always make sure I do my part because a great number of wealthy people may not be doing their part financially so! Just a side note I read about a year ago that a website reported that Jay Z gave the smallest amount in donations for that year to his own charity, NOW THAT IS RIDICULOUS! I am happy for him and wish him the best!

• Booker T Washington Reply

August 11, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Denzel doesn’t believe in giving handouts and me neither. You have to work for what you want. No celebrity owes you or I anything.

48. Erica Reply

February 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm

He is quite right. Not because you work with people they have to be your friends.

49. Kim Reply

February 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Well said and plainly put Mr. Washington. KEEPING God first is why you DON’T have to kiss b**t! hE GOT OUR BACK! Amen. Too badd the rest of Hollywood won’t realize this. If God doesn’t destroy Hollywood He will owe an apology to Sodom and Gormorrah and My God don’t make no mistakes so wake up HOLLYWOOD!

50. bernice Reply

February 24, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I have nothing against white people, but, it seems to me that they feel that if any black person works themselves (UP)or (DOWN) to them, then the brainwash worked. If the black man makes a lot of money, he puts it back into the white hands by marrying a white woman. As soon as Obama got into the white house some white girl tried to get next to him. Ms Obama found out and (red) her the last rights of her life. That ended that. Some black men feel that he has reached his potential when he can get, not just a white woman but a blond white woman. Look at Lou Rolles, he married a white woman. She gave him a few years and a few children, got her money and went back to her white world without those black children. DANZEL YOU ARE THE MAN.

• brotherscoe Reply

February 24, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Why do some sisters stimigtize brothers for being with other women than them? when they marry and date white men all the time and when the find out there wm is not monogamous,they are to shamed to say anything about it.
      Sister you need to turn that blind eye and look around Hollywood and every where else, to see the evidence.
      Most bw wont have nothing to do with brothers who are struggling and trying to make it and when the bm does become successfull,here they coming with thal false persona, using their body trying to be with him.Some bw are no better than the wm you are talking about. The notable bw like Denzels wife, Bill Cosbys wife, and Barrack Obamas wife, were with them from the beginning, when they had nothing and now there husbands are lavishing them with their love and success. Also some black people are not suitable marriage material,that successful blacks will choose from, to much baggage to carry.

• Helen Hull Reply

February 26, 2013 at 11:43 pm

That because when black men marry a white woman they forget that they are black. it’s not that we are mad, black men look down on black woman not all of them, and I also notice when a black man get with any other race they become different men. I was dating a white man, black men came up to me and said did you forget who you are my sister. it didn’t matter to me because there are good men and women in every race. most time when a black man is down and out the black man will leave them because they take the black woman kindness for weakness. there was this sister married a black b*m, this other black woman called her crazy for haven nothing, he just an old drunk. but she took the old drunk clean him up and married him. Guess where he is today, he is with the woman that told the woman not to take the old drunk in. so you know it’s not all one sided. there bad sister, bad brother, bad white woman, white men, or any other race of men and woman. and when a black man become white something always happen to them when they don’t like anything but white woman. Look at OJ. who did he run to,none other than his first wife a black woman.

• Onesilverbac Reply

February 24, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Can you please tell us where you found the information about the 1st lady and the white girl going after the President?

I would like to check out that story.
      Thanks

• Ruby from NJ Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Bernice, you are going to have to stop making up things or repeating silly stories you have heard. Believe me, if any of what you have written were true, it would have appeared in some gossip magazine. So far, it hasn’t. You should know that women of all kinds are drawn to powerful men, even when the men are not good-looking or slim. The power attracts them. Think Henry Kissinger and Alan Greenspan. The president is intelligent, highly educated, handsome and the most powerful man in the world. At fifty-one he is relatively young. Since he ain’t d**d, he can look once in a while, as long as he doesn’t touch, and apparently, he doesn’t touch. Let’s not continue to be the enemy of this first black president.

51. Davchi Reply

February 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Denzel is taking heat from who? As your headline states or is it just you trying to make drama. Denzel is by far one of the best and favorite actors black or white and he does and has been doing a very fine job as an actor. I love his statement because when truth is spoken negroes emerge with the white folk that think a black man or women can’t make an honest statement. Brother when you mention someone taking heat for a comment they have made then you reveal who is giving the heat. As cool as DW is nothing but smoldering smoke will be the result.

52. Davchi Reply

February 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

53. Davchi Reply

February 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

54. william Reply

February 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Denzel is the best actor of his era hands down he should have won an Oscar 4 ” MALCOLM X” HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH HE AIN’T GOTTA KISS WHITE CRACKER (AZZ)….

55. island lover Reply

February 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Thank u denzel washington for being so bold and brave!!Kissing azz of anyone may get one where their want to be but it represents selling your soul.THANKS denzel for not being MENTALLY ENSLAVED OR HAVING AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX.YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOOD AT WHAT U DO AND YOU NEED NO ONE’S APPROVAL! BRAVO!! UNCLE TOMS’,HOUSE NIQQUAS AZZ KISSERS OF CELEBRITIES TAKE NOTES AND LEARN .

56. Crosstown Reply

February 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm

The headline said “Denzel takes heat for comments about white actors” This was very good commentary, so who’s giving him “heat”?

57. Lee Reply

February 24, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Who edits these articles? The use of asterisks is getting absolutely ridiculous. Why in the world is it necessary to use asterisks to replace letters?” I feel as though we’re dealing with someone from the Dark Ages who believes these words will doom the world. We are adults. These words and their correct spelling will not h**t us. The use of asterisks to hide the truth will.

58. Lee Reply

February 24, 2013 at 4:03 pm

59. Zuuumie Reply

February 24, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Denzel is an In Plain Site example of having those same friends and practices that he had in the early part of life, and by no coincidence some of the same he grew up with and around, no matter what ethnic group that person or family just happens tb, who are likely much the same people that has kept them lifelong or longterm True Friends & Acquaintances.

Denzel is not anti-anyone, & is not attacking anyone or their lifestyle. It’s simply not his, “Afterhours Persona.” He’s simply has a lifestyle of standards that parallel those in his Circle that identifies who each of them really are away from their own work.

He is & has been consistently altruistic, committed, conscienable, & diligence with great dignity on a Professional level, just as he is on Personal basis. That is admirable. That is Real.

His Practices clearly shows in his Words, his Work and within his Personal Life, that’s amounts to “This is Me.”

There is no bloated Ego despite what some, sometimes commonly expect from a “Actors in General” in an Industry where some are more driven by Ego and exposure than many others, who in varying degrees want, seems to die for and thrive for Papparazzi, Attention, Press, Drama, and all the things lived out in the Public Eye aside from the end result of what each does best in a Movie or Series for which they are a part of.

Since some chose the alternative, it is do different than what Denzel’s Standard is, just completely different than many others.

60. Avi Reply

February 24, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I have ALWAYS loved Denzel as an ACTOR,a RESPECTABLE AND INTELLIGENT MAN. I to have wondered why he only gets OSCARS for corruptable roles, he has made so many good movies with integrity and historical, but no Oscars for those. He is right up there with Sidney P. and Harry B. and Ossie D!

61. Teri Reply

February 24, 2013 at 3:40 pm

White people can’t stand to hear the truth. No matter what your personal truth is they expect you to not mention it or lie about it if it makes them uncomfortable. Much respect to denzel for keeping it real.

62. wanda Reply

February 24, 2013 at 3:31 pm

This is what I call a truly grounded human being. Finally an actor that doesn’t read or believe his own press.

63. Bill Reply

February 24, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Awesome wife too

64. Bill Reply

February 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm

True man of courage

65. Onesilverbac Reply

February 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Denzel Washington! Dr. Ben Carson!

OK lets have some others stand up and point out who is and what a real Black man should be all about!

(Don’t mention the President, he’s a celebrity and seems to address only what will further his position, meaning he has no integrity) You can still love him, he however is not in the same league as the others.

• Phillip Battle Reply

February 25, 2013 at 5:54 am

A real man————— Every man that stood up and stand up to the injustices that are casted upon them by the RACIST COWARDS in America, and all other men (and women) who stands up to injustices in their country. A real man-considering the context in which it was being used (star dumb) Mr. Washington has done an outstanding job as a Black Man in an arena owned by white folk; as for not to lose his mind nor PRIDE-unlike the example of Obama you used as a real black man. Obama is the President of the USA- he nor any other President can’t be real their job is to use deception to keep the American CITIZENS eyes off the prize (MONEY), and allow the ignorance of the Black,white,and Hispanics to fight one and other as the rich ride away in the sunset.
      Real Men acknowledge the truth-versus continually castrating the victims of this greedy racist society in which we live.

66. Ridiculous Reply

February 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Now that’s what a real man looks and sounds like.
    He also doesn’t give free advertising to name brand designers.
    Let me say this…I am a black man but I love Denzel for who he is and what he represents.

67. blacjk jones Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Denzel …..You make us PROUD, LOVE YOU and THANK YOU for your display of CLASS,INTEGRITY and DIGNITY….PEACE!!!

68. Jeffrey Walker Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Any celebrity brother who marries a dark skinned woman and stays married to her got my backing no matter what he says.

69. Epaphroditus Elkahan Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Lights camera action!!!

This movie will change our world and make it a better place.

Love Strength and Honor!!!

70. Diane Edge Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Good for Denzel! He is one of the best and we love him!!!

71. Epaphroditus Elkahan Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Read and see why Denzel Washington became the first Black Presudent of the United States of Smerica based on the book “The President The Eppieologist”

• Onesilverbac Reply

February 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm

What??? Are you talking about Willis???

72. hope Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:39 pm

There is nothing wrong with what he said. For some reason black people are penalized and villainized because they don’t hangout with whites. Why do you have to be under white to be okay?

No other race has to be underneath and associate with whites to be okay.

When the cast of Friends said they didn’t have black people on that show because it would be unrealistic, no one came out and called any of them out nor the producers.

I am proud of Denzel standing up and being a man. I am also proud that he as a black man(person)don’t feel the need to hang around whites to be seen as okay or successful.

73. Ann G. Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:23 pm

If you had more Black Stars following in Mr. Washington’s footsteps, there would be a lot more alive instead of moles delivering their mail due to overdoses.

74. Cort Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm

DW should have born in the 1930s-40s. He has the “Class” of Sidney P., Harry B., Ossie D. and all. They were the only few “WE” had. Listen-up Young A-A and try to learn from DW!

75. Earline Bentley Reply

February 24, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Honesty and integrity at the highest in Denzel Washington! who could ask for anything more!!!!

76. Dannyboy Reply

February 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Thank you, Denzel, for having the courage to speak out!! You stand up there with Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier in standing by your convictions. This is a lesson for young African American youth to follow. You and your wife set a good example for your children to follow.

77. Dannyboy Reply

February 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

83. marcus davis Reply

February 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Cool!

84. Lynda Williams Reply

February 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Denzell Washington will always have a special place in my heart. He has always “kept it real”. Peace and Blessing be with you all.

• bubbles Reply

August 8, 2013 at 11:07 pm

WITH HIS HANDSOME SELF!LOL!

85. Derrick gordon Reply

February 24, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Who wrote this silly article from the guardian newspaper. In the future a byline has to be used to identify the writer.send the link and let people read the article for themselves. The headline does not reflect the essence of the story—our world has a bad habit of bait and switch—Glaring Headlines— No Substance!

86. Pamela Talbert Reply

February 24, 2013 at 1:10 pm

This is why I truly admire and respect Denzel Washington…as a man, as a Black man, as a husband of a beautiful Black woman, as a father and family man, AND as an actor! He says what he means and me means what he says! Bottomline good ole honesty.

87. Artese Johnson Reply

February 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I Love and Respect Denzel Washington. He’s always been one of my favorite male actors. He’s humbled, a Christian, a loving husband and father and there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with what he said.

The media is all about drama. He acknowledged that he is friends with Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks & Mel Gibson. What is wrong with Denzel saying that he is friends with normal people?

88. Sandra Reply

February 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I love his integrity and authenticity. He’s not a people pleaser. He’s just Denzel an actor, not a celebrity. Love that!

89. Toni Seeinghawk Reply

February 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I knew I loved him for more than one reason. Denzel is the best, no matter what. Tell it like it is and keep it moving.

90. Sandra Reply

February 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm

How is he taking heat for saying this? It’s better than most actors, who pretend to care because they feel as though it will get more and better roles.

91. Ty Reply

February 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I love him even more for his honesty and realness!

92. oooooo yes Reply

February 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm

NOW THAT IS A REAL BLACK MAN!!!!! HE IS NOT RUNNING AROUND WITH ALL KIND OF WHITE WOMEN THAT LOOKING FOR A MONEY MAKING BABY FROM HIM. WAKE UP YOU OTHER CRAZY a*s BLACK MEN. STAY WITH YOU BLACK WOMEN AND KEEP YOUR MONEY IN YOU POCKET. SO MANY LOST BLACK MEN. GET A REAL BLACK WOMAN, AND LET THE WHITE MEN HAVE WHITE WOMEN. LOOK AT WHAT MICHEAL JACKSON DID HE WAS SO CRAZY HE PAID MILLIONS FOR THREE WHITE KIDS, HE CALL HIS OWN. WHAT A HOT MESS. JUST TO NAME A FEW CRAZY BLACK MEN. CROSS BREED BABY. JAMIE FOX, HE GOT TWO CROSS BREED KIDS. WOW DON’T YOU LIKE WHO YOU ARE? THANK GOD FOR MEN LIKE DENZEL WASHINGTON. LOVE HIM. HE IS A REAL BLACK MAN. I SEND MY LOVE TO ALL THE REAL BLACK MEN THAT LOVE THEIR OWN. THEN LOVE OTHER PEOPLE AS LONG AS THEY STAY IN THEIR PLACE WITH COLOR. YES I SAID IT!!!!!

93. oooooo yes Reply

February 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm

• Quammie Reply

February 24, 2013 at 6:33 pm

You are a Racist..

• Onesilverbac Reply

February 24, 2013 at 10:13 pm

You have way too much hate in you!

Let people do as they will, everyone does not have the standards that you have, nor should they! Different points of view make the world go round and keep it oh so interesting!

I understand it’s just your opinion.

94. De Miller Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:50 am

I loved Denzel in one if best works ELI. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his comments. Honorable and confident wish we had more like him. In our generation we were not included in the”in”crowd. It is different for younger actors but in this industry as I watch the Oscars see very little diversity for Black Hispanic or Asian acors. Not much as really changed in the real numbers of high paid regularly working actors among the many talented actors writers and directors in the big screen. Television with Shondra Rimes has made major inroads due to her talent because she had the opportunity

Denzel is just honest. Thank God for that

95. Kevin L. Anderson Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:47 am

A class act!!

• jason Reply

February 26, 2013 at 12:33 am

I will always respect a good man.

• Patricia G Anderson Reply

August 12, 2013 at 2:16 am

I agree with you Kevin, a real class act indeed!!!

96. Anthony Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I can’t do anything but agree with him Mr.Washington is c*t from a diffrent cloth and I can respect him for his thoughts.

97. ritra h burney Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:26 am

I love and appreciate Denzel for who he is and am grateful that he does not smooze up to anyone. I am glad he won some oscars but agree with another writer that for the movies he portrayed I was upset. he played an excellent role in Malcolm X and other movies which he was not nominated for and those movies were to me of a higher caliber than the ones he won for. Go on Denzel we know who u r and why u do what u do. God bless u.

98. Pat Chmiel Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:21 am

I have never seen a movie that Denzel made that wasn’t any good.He is not only a great actor but just a great person. If he wins an oscar or not he still is the man!

99. Pat Chmiel Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:21 am

100. Greg Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:19 am

I don’t blame him.

101. J.D. Hill Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

Doesn’t look at if Denzel Washington “kisses up” to anyone of any color or stature. He’s not necessarily running buddies with rich Black bad actors either. He’s comfortable with his roots – old friends.
    I like that!

102. J.D. Hill Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

I like that!

103. John Reply

February 24, 2013 at 11:09 am

I don’t like the Oscars which were given to Washington. The footage they showed before they gave him his first Oscar, he was being whipped. There is a message there! The second Oscar was for being a corrupt cop and this year it is again for being a corrupt character. It is disgusting!

104. elrancho2 Reply

February 24, 2013 at 10:50 am

I always respected him as an actor and as a man. This interview is more evidence that any respect is well-deserved.

105. tnyaa Reply

February 24, 2013 at 9:19 am

A great Actor of all times. You keep doing what you doing Denzel.