[adrotate block="1"]

Facebook Refuses to Take Down Picture of Black Baby as Chimp

Facebook is certainly not known for being a free social network. In fact, The Raw Story reported in 2012 that Facebook pays low wage workers to take down content based on its censorship list. But although Facebook regularly takes down pro-Palestinian posts, images of breastfeeding,  and  “any photoshopped images of people, whether negative, positive or neutral”, it has thus refused to take down a picture which depicts a little black baby as a monkey.

If you saw the picture below come across your Facebook feed, you might be offended:

black baby as monkey

Several people were reportedly offended by this picture, which depicts a black baby as a chimp, but thus far, Facebook has refused to take down the image.

According to Facebook’s own policy, it does not support hate speech, and defines hate speech as “content that attacks people based on their actual or perceived race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability or disease is not allowed. We do, however, allow clear attempts at humor or satire that might otherwise be considered a possible threat or attack. This includes content that many people may find to be in bad taste (e.g. jokes, stand-up comedy, popular song lyrics, etc.).”  Doesn’t the black baby as a monkey image meet that criteria? Not according to Facebook. Facebook users who reported the offending image received a message from in response that the image “does not violate our [Facebook] community standard on hate speech.”

Freedom of speech is fine, but Facebook should at least be consistent. It’s almost as if the social media giant determines its standard based on what Zuckerberg had for breakfast that morning, and that’s inconsistent, making it increasingly difficult for users to determine what rules and standards they should be adhering to.

What are your thoughts? Is Facebook’s bias getting out of hand? Are you bothered by the image or are users making too much of it?

34 Responses to Facebook Refuses to Take Down Picture of Black Baby as Chimp

1. curious george

May 14, 2013 at 12:09 am

A Lot of people seem to take offense with Facebook.. I definitely.. but here is my question… how many of you are supporting black social media and IS there even anything close to a “black Facebook”??????

2. Jessica

May 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm

WOW! I have never heardso many people say such ugly things. People say whites are racist, but look at the words in these comments. Racism is far from gone, but it will never end unless we as individuals decide to change ourselves and our views first. Yes this picture is wrong, but does it REALLY call for all the negativity and hate that many of you speak?

3. Kwende Idrissa Madu

May 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Facebook is run by caucasoids. That species is naturally hostile to Humans.

4. nottheone

February 14, 2013 at 4:34 pm

The thing that’s so interesting though is that the white baby looks more like the chimp. Thin lips, stringy hair and pale skin is the same thing these white folks have so we don’t really need to be offended. We need to laugh at how stupid they are to the point that they can’t even see themselves.

5. don thomas

February 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Black folk shoud BOYCOT FACEBOOK as much as possible
    and use a comparable Black social network if one exist.

6. don thomas

February 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Black folk shoud BOYCOT FACEBOOK as much as possible
    and use a comparable Black social network if one exist.

7. Nasheed

February 14, 2013 at 11:30 am

One simple question, after all the comments, outrage, and what ever else is gonna be said, how many r going to walk away from that white site? Answer, not many. Our ppl will still flock to this devils site like the conditioned sheep they r. Won’t support a Black site and will continue the self hatred and endure the disrespect.
    Ma’at Hetep

8. Sherrie Douglas

February 14, 2013 at 9:35 am

Wow they show their true colors and there’s no outrage ppl chatting about it like its normal super crazy this is bullish this man is rich off of us and this is ok.. Now if it was a racist pic with a little chink Asia he’d be pissed because that’s what his money hungry wife is.

9. Davchi

February 8, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Stop whining about what pictures white people post about
    black folk. If you’re offended then you can be truthful
    and post the hairy white man as they looked when they
    lived in the caves of Europe and over the centuries their
    hair is still a remnant of the amount of hair that covered
    their bodies. Read about the tails they grew at that period
    of time. Read the history of Europe and its people and how
    holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Jesus’s
    bithday, disease, Catholc and Protestant conflict began,
    the British monarchy and other European monarchies, the
    Nicean council of 325A.D., where the christian cross
    originated, read and study the real history of this
    white man, not his story but the real truth story. The
    clothes of the “naked truth”is gradually being taken
    back from the well dressed “Lie” that his story
    perpetuated on the world.

10. TEELEM

February 8, 2013 at 12:57 am

THIS IS WHAT WE GET FOR TURNING OUR HEADS ON BLACK IDEAS,AND
    SOCIAL NETWORKS.THIS IS WHAT WE GET FOR NOT SUPPORTING BLACK
    INSTEAD OF THINKING WE ALL ARE CRIMINALS.THIS IS WHAT WE GET WHEN
    OUR MONEY GOES TO YOUR WHITE INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER IN ORDER
    TO WATCH THE RACIST PICTURE.I AM NOT SAYING THAT ALL WHITE
    PEOPLE ARE THE SAME,BUT WHY TAKE A CHANCE ON BEING HUMILIATED
    AND RACIALLY EMBARASSED BY THIS MESS.THIS IS JUST LIKE TERRENCE
    HOWARD DATEING A WHITE GIRL KNOWING THEIR IS A CHANCE THAT SHE
    WOULD CALL HIM A N…GER ONE DAY.WE ARE IN CONSTANT PUTTING OUR
    SELF IN A COMPROMISEING POSITION.THE ANSWER IS TO NOT PUT OURSELVES
    IN THOSE POSITIONS BY GIVEING THEM THE GUN AND YOU GO OUT BEING
    THE SITTING DUCK,STOP BEING A SITTING TARGET WITH A FACE OF SMILEING
    CLOWN.GET OUT THE WOODS AND STOP BECOMEING A TARGET.

11. TEELEM

February 8, 2013 at 12:41 am

THE LAWSUIT IS CALLED RACIAL HARASSMENT,WE,OR YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL
    CAN EMAIL,OR WRITE FACEBOOK AND SAY,YOU ARE RACIALLY HARASSING ME
    AND IF THEY DONT TAKE IT DOWN.JUST MY OPINION.

12. Robert Martin

February 7, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Every one who finds this photo offensive should boycott
    face book. it is nothing but a sham

13. Robert Martin

February 7, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Every one who finds this photo offensive should boycott
    face book. it is nothing but a sham

14. Tokunboh

February 7, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Facebook, like any other Caucasian-owned and operated racist organization in the United States of America is just as susceptible to the same hate-filled, prejudiced, myopic, stupid, neanderthal, discriminatory, short-sighted, pungent, vile, racist, spineless, offensive and mealy-mouthed cowardly traits which they have passed on down from generation to generation until the present day generation have no idea of why they hate minorities so much..or understand any concept of history in the least. The fact of the matter is that, just by looking at any aspect of the media, be it in the news, in the criminal justice system, in politics, in government, in schools, is churches, in sports…all you have to do is hear about the sort of preferential treatment or key phrases such as ‘at the discretion of the judge’ (Federal Sentencing Guidelines) or a change in the rules, to immediately know and understand the racial make-up of the people involved. This is perhaps the saddest portion of the reality of America today. I can switch on any television channel in the nation and if the S.W.A.T. team is out in force and code-words such as ‘to be considered armed and dangerous’ are being bandied about, the perpetrator must be black…..however if the murderer or mass killer is said to have come ‘from such a nice background’ it is obvious he must be white. The faces and identities of African-Americans are plastered all over the news even before all the facts are in while those of their white counterparts, even when it is established that they committed horrible crimes, are kept hidden away from public consumption for as long as possible, ‘as the identities have been withheld for privacy reasons’. Everyday we see various examples of this in thousands of different reincarnations. We need not deceive ourselves. It is only the uninitiated and the illiterate that are at a loss to understand that this is slavery and racism in the 21st century. The name of the game is still profits (be it in the Prison-Industrial Complex system…or the fleecing of amateur/professional sports players-paying the Michael Jordans $50 million while the Nikes and Sonys make billions off them). In this particular case, Facebook is just following the set pattern, the blueprint which America has laid out for all its white heathens; in the private, public, business, school, clergy (have you ever seen a black pastor molesting children…and how many of these white pastors have actually ever gone to jail?) and individual personalities. Hell, the Rothschild family owns the Central Banks of over 400 countries world-wide and here we are still trying to get Facebook to address one simple image that violates their own stated code of conduct. I will use my personal case as an example. One year ago, after inviting many persons of Japanese descent (Yes, I am a Blackman that speaks Japanese) as friends on the ‘social site’, (many of whom couldn’t immediately accept because they were on vacation and didn’t have access to their accounts or to computers…or simply were too busy enjoying their vacations to attend to such mundane matters, Facebook arbitrarily decided that as a Blackman, I must not know these people I was inviting. It was inconceivable to them that a Black person would be able to maintain friendships with such a large number of Japanese citizens, My account was suspended for seven days and I was sent a warning stating that I should ‘desist from inviting people that I was not acquainted with’. I was so incensed and digested that I fired back a response (in English and Japanese) stating to the contrary that these were all people I knew, had met and made friends with (in fact, I had taken pictures with each and every one of the people in this matter so I had pictorial evidence that these were ‘friends’ I was inviting)….and just to be clear, even if I didn’t know them, isn’t the purpose of the site to meet new friends and make new friends…it’s supposed to a SOCIAL NETWORK (You big dummies, it says so right there on your masthead!) Nevertheless, I never received a response and waited out my suspension dutifully like the slave I had been labelled, Today each and every one of those ‘unknown people’ are on my friend list. It was just one more example in a long laundry list of things ‘The Uppity Black Man’ dares to become…..free being at the top of that list. Oops, have I been talking this long? Hahaha! I better cut it short. My account might be suspended on account of being too articulate or some such inane excuse. Bye folks. You know what the deal is……

15. Samantha

February 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm

When are we going to put our energy into something that’s going to save our children instead of getting drawn into stuff that’s a distraction, I’ve never seen this picture on facebook and if I had I would have deleted it and whom ever posted it. Instead we allow this site and all the others that quote pretend they care about us to pull our attention away from what is important. You know our freaking children are not monkeys so why allow someone to get under your skin. If you keep on living you will see ignorance like this over and over don’t get use to it but don’t allow small minded people to steal your joy.

16. Karroll

February 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I closed my face book account long time ago. I didn’t see where I was benefiting from it. Most people use it for the wrong reasons. Facebook is bias.If it was reversed,depicting the white baby as a monkey, it would have been taken down. We who have commented here can close face book down if that is the desire to. You would simply stop using that company’s product or service! We have to hit them where it hurts the most, their wallets. But as someone stated , some would rather cut off their right arm, and I will add, go blind before they close their facebook account.

17. Jali Cook

February 7, 2013 at 9:19 am

I could not find this page – either this is a hoax or Facebook took it down.

Did any of you find the page?

18. Francis Ushie

February 7, 2013 at 2:01 am

There are white Apes in Cote D” Ivoire, in Africa,
    so, if we believe apes were our ancestors
    then we are in the same story.
    The Bible makes it clear that animals are
    our seniors on earth ( we were created last,
    No transformation has ever happened from
    beast to human, and we must show respect
    to our creator ( God )

• coast cooker

February 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

@Francis Ushie..The bible is folk lore, we came here through evolution

19. Jayson Ramsey

February 7, 2013 at 1:25 am

Facebook is racist just like everything else in the USA=United Snakes of America

20. bernina200

February 6, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I am not an addict of facebook, therefore, I am sick of facebook
    People baring their souls, for what,I could care less about
    most people life stories. To compare a black child to monkey,
    chimpezene,is low life and,I am happy I sold my facebook
    stock.If enough people close their accounts, it would get
    thir attention, WAKE UP AMERICAN,WE ARE SO EASILY BROUGHT AND
    PAID.

21. Onesilverbac

February 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Ok if any of you have some computer skills, lets see how creative you can be!

Not Nasty, or Foul but something that makes a equal point.

Then lets see if they take that down, that’s fire with fire, if they do take it down then we can confront and discover why the dual standard.

22. Darrell Johnson

February 6, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Racism is a part of our society at every level.

• BigWill

February 6, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Instead of just complaining, AA’s need to learn to fight fire with fire. Problem is- the white man’s religion has made black people impotent.

• coast cooker

February 7, 2013 at 11:14 am

@ BigWill..You and I are on the same page..

• BigWill

February 6, 2013 at 9:15 pm

23. byron

February 6, 2013 at 8:24 pm

They won’t take it down because Facebook knows that most of you, regardless of race, are addicted to Facebook would rather cut your right arm off before shutting down your Facebook account. And yes, Mark Zuckerberg is Jewish and would never allow anything anti Semitic to remain posted. I do not use Facebook, Twitter, or any of the others. I refuse to become a slave to social media. And no, I am not old, lol, and I have graduate degrees. I just refuse to be a zombie and join the crowd most of the time. I am anti Apple, and anti social media, mainly because everybody else loves those things and are drawn to them like bugs to light bulb. I like playing devil’s advocate. If the person is highly offended by a company’s practices, simply stop using that company’s product or service!

• Chris

February 6, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Kudos… Byron, I couldn’t have said it any better. If this tool (FB) or any other tool doesn’t uplift or benefit you or your communities then it should be consider useless and discarded. Although I didn’t find the post to be racist; because for one thing I know who and what I’m connected to and it is not a damn monkey, my people gave civilization to the world and that should be adored and not mock… If the post was intended to implied or make reference to how they see the original people of the earth,then they really have some unresolved issues and should seek medical attention!

24. byron

February 6, 2013 at 8:24 pm

25. DELORES MAYS

February 6, 2013 at 7:43 pm

If they are in violation sue them.and you can sue anybody foror anything.So somebody get it started.I’m broke

26. DELORES MAYS

February 6, 2013 at 7:43 pm

• Toni

February 6, 2013 at 10:55 pm

You are absolutely correct, the court system does allow one to sue for anything. I am not in agreement with false law suits I always feel you can work things out across the table.

27. Barbara

February 6, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Why didn’t they use a Black human baby and a White Rhesus
    baby monkey? Then they can claim it as non-
    racist.

28. DeepEntity

February 6, 2013 at 4:03 pm

If you cut that monkey’s straight hair all off its face and body it will be the same color as that white baby.