[adrotate block="1"]

LL Cool J Says ‘Accidental Racist’ is About ‘Jumping Out of the Box’

by Yvette Carnell

If you’ve been paying any attention to pop culture this week, then you know that rap legend LL Cool J collaborated with country singer Brad Paisley on a LL Cool J 2song that’s being mocked throughout both the blogosphere and social media. CNN recently caught up with Cool J and asked him what prompted his collaboration with Paisley. His canned answer probably won’t surprise you.

The song, “Accidental Racist“, begins with Paisley apologizing to a Starbucks employee for wearing a Confederate flag t-shirt. But it’s not really an apology since Paisley goes on to justify why he’s wearing the shirt. “When I put on that t-shirt, the only thing I meant to say is I’m a Skynyrd fan” Paisley crows, proudly.

Then LL Cool J jumps in and raps some nonsense about how he’ll forget about slavery if white folk don’t judge rappers for their urban attire:

If you don’t judge my do-rag / I won’t judge your red flag / If you don’t judge my gold chains / I’ll forget the iron chains… Let bygones be bygones.

When asked about the song, LL Cool J defended it, saying, “If it’s not compelling, and it’s not complex, and it’s not interesting, what are we doing it for?”

Good question. Many of us wish LL had asked himself that before adding his God-awful rap to this God-awful song.

If “Accidental Racist” was about jumping out of the box, as LL Cool J says, then maybe it’s time to jump back in.

Watch the quick video interview here.

38 Responses to LL Cool J Says ‘Accidental Racist’ is About ‘Jumping Out of the Box’

1. abigail gomez

April 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

what can you expect?

2. bahati sobukwe

April 13, 2013 at 9:37 am

I am not a fan of Rap. In fact I don’t know any lyrics except those I hear coming out of cars. Some one better teach those idiots sign language, they are not going to be able to hear in a few years. But, then I digress. It’s a funny thing about us, we are always selling each other out. Yes, some of us sold each other in slavery, we were always telling the master about the planned rebellions, in fact all of the Slave rebellions were betrayed by Africans. One black told the captain of a slave ship(coming over here) about a planned take over of the ship. Here, I need to mention the many Africans like Nzingha who fought slavers in Africa and the Malcolm Xs and Medgar Evers, Martin L. Kings and the many blacks who walked and worked with them. Not to forget the many millions of us who live each day in dignity quietly and sometime loudly against the injustices of American life. LL Cool J is one of those kind of Africans who is willing to sell us out for ‘their’ approval. Simply because he knows nothing about himself.
    Reading some of your post, now I know how LL Cool J made it in the business and how he could become a Republican–he’s a waste of blackness.

3. storm

April 12, 2013 at 2:35 am

We have such a long ways to go, on both sides of the fence

4. David Future (U.S. Senator)

April 11, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Another Sell-Out goes Un-Punished!

5. David Future (U.S. Senator)

April 11, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Another Sell-Out goes unpunished!

6. Tajtmb

April 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Personally, I thought the song was a joke. I only heard his wrap above and the crazy chorus. The song sounded too slow and gawd awful. I can’t believe he even did the song. He must have been really bored that day. How sad for him. He better stick it out on ncis-los angeles. Poor thing.

7. Harold

April 11, 2013 at 9:31 am

Ya’ll crazy. Understanding Rap requires an open and agile mind. The words of the older Rappers do not mean what they appear to mean. Listen again–it will come to you.

8. R Sledge

April 11, 2013 at 5:50 am

LL has bells has been rocked to hard, what a dumb azz

9. Bobby G

April 10, 2013 at 11:27 pm

That’s his perspective, one man’s opinion doesn’t represent the masses

10. Prince Lumumba

April 10, 2013 at 10:00 pm

LL is not crazy, nor is he speaking empty words. He feels what he says and speaks clear. Blackman has been labeled by many things apart from being nigga and thug. Blackman is hated worldwide. Oh yes, I have been to Japan, China, Eurpoe, US, Mexico and what not. Blackman is looked upon down in the same frame of inferior. So We can justfy reverse racism. In Fact we need to all be racist to the bone and run White folks out of Africa… Poverty will end quickly as there was no measure of poverty before whiteman came on the scene. follow on FB the sons of Africa Tour 2014

11. casper

April 10, 2013 at 8:52 pm

he crossed over & now he may
    never find hiz way back

12. Carl

April 10, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I have never considered LL Cool J as part of the true Hip Hop cultural. Personally I have to feel you and the music, and LL never measured up. I heard he was raised in the suburbs if that is true maybe that is why no cultural experiences. Lastly, he a Republican.

13. Stone Crazy

April 10, 2013 at 8:21 pm

This isn’t first time LL rhymed something stupid. I remember him saying about calling Jesse Jackson for some affirmative action. Yet, nobody called him out on it.

14. roosevelt

April 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Let’s not forget this is the same guy at the height of the consiousness era of hip hop got booed off the stage. When bdp had “by any means necessary” “blueprint” and public enemy with fight the power he had “walking with a panther” a album with 2 girls on the cover and ll with a bottle of moet with the single “big ol butt” .

15. Frank Livingston

April 10, 2013 at 8:07 pm

What a dumbass…

16. Lori R

April 10, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I’m done with him!!!!

17. Elem

April 10, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Speechless..

18. Ranublue

April 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm

TOO MUCH STEROID IN HIS SYSTEM. I wonder if the Jewish community would let bygones be bygones on the holocaust.

19. marcus davis

April 10, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Another rapper talking shyte.

20. ordinarybrutha

April 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Why do Black People think that being complexed, compelling and box-jumping have to be accommodating to white people? Why can”t we be thought-provoking in ways that hold each other equitably accountable. Mr. Paisley got a pass for referring to himself as an “accidental racist” for wearing a confederate bandana, knowing what that flag represented and represents.

Come on LL, you are smarter than that!!! I can imagine how good wealth is, but at some point there has to be some sacrifices made for our dignity and respect.

21. Barbara

April 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Perhaps LL Cool J is referring to his Caribbean roots?