Group Files Petition in Support of Assata Shakur, Asks Obama to Investigate

assata-shakur-petition

Why, after so many years, would the FBI decide to place a 65-year old activist on it’s most wanted terrorists list?  People are asking this question about Assata Shakur, a former Black Panther who has been able to evade authorities for the last 40 years.  Her conviction for allegedly killing a police officer and wounding another has long been called into question and she has garnered a tremendous amount of public support, particularly within the black community.

A group has filed a petition on behalf of Shakur, asking that President Barack Obama form a panel to do an unbiased investigation.  The group says that, despite the scant evidence that Shakur actually s**t anyone, the authorities insist on pursuing her.

This week, the Newark, New Jersey FBI office named Shakur to the “Most Wanted Terrorists” List, despite the fact that she hasn’t harmed anyone in over 40 years.  The group also announced a $2 million dollar reward for her capture, drawing the attention of bounty hunters around the world.

In the petition, filed with Change.org, the group is asking that Shakur be left alone by the authorities:

“She’s been living in political assylum in Cuba, unable to return to the United States for fear of being killed or imprisoned. We must strike a blow for justice by fighting this ongoing campaign to smear her name and unfairly imprison her,” the petition states.

In their letter to the president, the group is asking President Obama to do the following:

1. Launch a federal and state investigation to determine the validity of Ms. Shakur’s initial conviction and prison sentence

2. Rescind Ms. Shakur’s status as a “terrorist.”
3. Terminate any bounty or “reward” for assisting in her capture.
4. Exonerate Ms. Shakur of ALL criminal charges and the need to serve the remainder of her (unjust) prison sentence.Assata Olugbala Shakur  escaped prison in 1979 and has been living in Cuba since 1984, where she was given political asylum.  She is the step-aunt to the late rapper Tupac Shakur.  She wrote an open letter to the pope in 1998 after the state of New Jersey requested the Pope’s held in getting her extradicted.  To date, she continues to teach and engage in activism.

58 Responses to Group Files Petition in Support of Assata Shakur, Asks Obama to Investigate

1. rennie Reply

May 9, 2013 at 1:53 am

Put some real murderers on most wanted list, for example all these white folks that have murdered black people for years and never charged at all, and nothings said or done. The only ones who care are us. Free Assata and all political prisoners.

R.

2. makheru bradley Reply

May 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

After reading Bro. Tyehimba’s explanation I’ve signed the petition.

Bado Mapambano!

3. makheru bradley Reply

May 7, 2013 at 10:57 am

An open letter from Assata Shakur dated May 3, 2013

[On May 2, 1973 I, along with Zayd Malik Shakur and Sundiata Acoli were stopped on the New Jersey Turnpike, supposedly for a “faulty tail light.” Sundiata Acoli got out of the car to determine why we were stopped. Zayd and I remained in the car. State trooper Harper then came to the car, opened the door and began to question us. Because we were black, and riding in a car with Vermont license plates, he claimed he became “suspicious.” He then drew his gun, pointed it at us, and told us to put our hands up in the air, in front of us, where he could see them. I complied and in a split second, there was a sound that came from outside the car, there was a sudden movement, and I was s**t once with my arms held up in the air, and then once again from the back. Zayd Malik Shakur was later killed, trooper Werner Foerster was killed, and even though trooper Harper admitted that he s**t and killed Zayd Malik Shakur, under the New Jersey felony murder law, I was charged with killing both Zayd Malik Shakur, who was my closest friend and comrade, and charged in the d***h of trooper Forester. Never in my life have I felt such grief. Zayd had vowed to protect me, and to help me to get to a safe place, and it was clear that he had lost his life, trying to protect both me and Sundiata. Although he was also unarmed, and the gun that killed trooper Foerster was found under Zayd’s leg, Sundiata Acoli, who was captured later, was also charged with both deaths. Neither Sundiata Acoli nor I ever received a fair trial We were both convicted in the news media way before our trials. No news media was ever permitted to interview us, although the New Jersey police and the FBI fed stories to the press on a daily basis. In 1977, I was convicted by an all- white jury and sentenced to life plus 33 years in prison. In 1979, fearing that I would be murdered in prison, and knowing that I would never receive any justice, I was liberated from prison, aided by committed comrades who understood the depths of the injustices in my case, and who were also extremely fearful for my life.]

See revolutionaryfrontlines.wordpress

4. bahati sobukwe Reply

May 6, 2013 at 5:38 pm

If we have a clear understanding, and understood now, during those times all blacks, Martin Luther King, Jr, Malcolm X, Medgar Evers, The Black Panthers, Pratt, Chaney, Mumbia , The African Liberation Movement and hundred of others ordinary citizen were killed or under seize. As we are today! It is senseless to get on this site mouthing nonsense about the cops being innocent, or America for that matter. The FBI’s COINTELPRO records prove that they were guilty of targeting American citizens. In fact, how could she not be innocent?

I have already signed the partition. That’s the least I can do. It is the only way that President Obama might hear us, surrounded by that sea of white faces.

5. Spivey L. gordon Reply

May 6, 2013 at 2:14 pm

African men, women and their children are constant on attack for merely being black In the case of sister Shakur, I can’t imagine any crime she might have committed measure up to the crimes brought against humanity by European Americans. Going after Sister Shakur after nearly forty years for crimes without substantial evidence is appalling.The FBI under Obama’s newly appointed Director will use such alibi for pursuing Sister Shakur as “bringing crimes to justice.” I agree with Reverend Brooks: “waiting on Obama for a helping hand is a waste of time and vote and there’s nothing closer to the truth.

Over again, I’ve listened to Obama speak on the mass incarceration of Africans and Latinos in America’s prisons but haven’t seen or heard of a an executive order signed addressing this issue.Wesley Snipes served three years in a Federal detention for alleged tax evasion. Ji Rule was charged with tax evasion and now serving two years. Lauren Hill fate may be decided today to determine whether she’ll serve time or get probation for alleged tax evasion. Each of these names I mentioned are Africans and were charged with owing government debt. Wall Street took more than 3 trillion of this nation wealth and drove it to complete ruins. Not one of Wall Street Executive indicted and gone to jail for this crime, not one.

On the subject of Obama, for someone to give such passionate speeches about hope and change, I’m struggling to understand how can he carry on daily without being constant reminded of some of the painful economic conditions many people finding themselves in. Where is the humanity?

6. BizG Reply

May 6, 2013 at 2:11 pm

It’s sad that things weren’t done differently back then…when possibly Ms. Shakur MAY HAVE actually been exonerated through lengthy trials, appeals,higher court appeals, etc. In the “eyes” of American law…she HAS NOT gone the correct route in attempting to exonerate herself and getting her actions of that event finally cleared.

• bahati sobukwe Reply

May 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Knowing what I know then and what I know now and watching all of those innocent blacks serving years -the Central Park Five, Geronimo Pratt, 19 years, 20 years, 25 years, then freed. …I say she did the right thing! I do hope that Cuba does its best to protect her.

• DELORES MAYS Reply

May 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm

T he only people in this country that can get accused of murder and not do time or be executed are not black people.Obama’s mother raised him so he really does not feel he is black .I have asked you guys to wake up and quit dreaming.The alarm clock is set for 9 o’clock it is now 8;59 and 59 seconds.

7. Haile Reply

May 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

If a beautiful African woman managed to escaps from an American h**l Prison and then managed to get political assylum in Cuba and is now a Professor there for 40 years, to say nothing of chattel African Slavery in America and continued slavery by another name in America.Land of the free home of the brave. She has paid the price for all of us for ever.We donot need millions of offered dollors for her, we need her feet so we can fall down and worship her and kiss her feet and wash them. Read the book” Assata.” by Assata Shakur.Everyone should be fortunate to read it.Also read Allegory of the cave book V11 of the Republic by Plato.”If the truth is crushed the earth itself will rise up.”

8. Mark Reply

May 6, 2013 at 10:34 am

Let’s all be the change we talk about…Let’s support Change.orgs efforts.

9. jay wells Reply

May 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

You’ll come out better getting George Bush to admit that he f****d up America then getting Obama to help Assata Shakur

• coast cooker Reply

May 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

@jay wells I stand by your statement..

10. Rev. George Brooks Reply

May 6, 2013 at 8:17 am

Don’t hold your breath waiting for Obama to get involved in anyway, shape or fashion. Why are black folks still believe in this weak, timid puppet of the Jews and Chicago and Harvard whites? I’m mad because I wasted my vote on him TWICE! This poor guy is not the kind of black leadership that we need, just as is also true with this othre sorry mulatto fellow who is the president of the National NAACP, Ben Jealous. Obama can’t even go to the restroom without the permission of that crowd of Jews that are surrounding and controlling him AND EVERYTHING in the White House. We all need to start demanding a huge amount of benefits for blacks, LOUD AND BOLDLY, and perhaps that will end up with a few crumbs thrown our way. You know how you always should ask for way more than you expect to get. And it should include reparations. — Rev. George Brooks

11. Peter D. Slaughter Reply

May 6, 2013 at 7:34 am

A waste of time overall and the masses of black people who voted still have not figured out the real deal yet.
    Check the bloodline

12. Ish Muhammad Reply

May 6, 2013 at 12:32 am

Asking O’Drama to help this Sister is like asking a Fox to watch the Hen House!

13. Ish Muhammad Reply

May 6, 2013 at 12:27 am

Speak on it Derrick!!! The Truth is What it is & Needs no Explanation!!!Now to our Younger Crowd go do some Readings on COINTELPRO:The FBI’s Secret War on Black America & The American Indian Movements Remember the FBI is an information Arm of the Government they look for Dirt on you to use at a Later time! Like in the Case of the Hon.Elijah Muhammad & some teenaged Secretaries When the National Secretary of the Nation of Islam was like 34-35 years old lol it was a lie and you brought it! There has never been no such things in the NOI all of these people were Grown from about 28 on up! NJ these are the Same Devils who convicted Ruben Hurricane Carter & another Black Brother for no d**n Reason(but the color of his Skin) it makes me Mad thinking about it! GayZ was Mad at Tupac for Dissing Him & ebeing a Hot Rapper any Rapper From Brooklyn he was all on their n*****k From BDKane Biggie Jazieo! Some Negroes will do anything for Money & not to be trusted! OH yeah Assata is Tupac’s Aunt for you Rap Dummies! What I really wanna see is all those FBI files out because when Racist a*s Nixon was president some of those FBI files leaked out because they were stolen in that Burglary! Gay Edgar Hoover tried to recruit the Italian Mafia to Hit MLK but they refused so the Government got Army intelligence to do it these same crackers s**t everybody during that Era! They won’t Miss you must be an expert Marksman to even be considered! O’Drama is owned by these satanic Jews a secret Satanic Organization all of them have one thing in common they look to exploit us all! The House of Rothschild Rockerfeller ran Cuba until the Revolution then these Devils went to Haiti with the same Evil just put a Black face on it! Poppa Doc Baby Doc! O’Drama is a trick like We knowledgable Brothers and Sisters have been saying on here! He cannot help us! The Masons Shriners won’t let him!

14. Michelle Savage Reply

May 5, 2013 at 11:44 pm

@ think about it.its obvious you didn’t thibk before you started post bullshit this black power something you will never understand. Go to your people’s website you holding our websites just for us hostage now get the h**l on!! Stay in your place! Its Mr. President to you!!!

• Think About It Reply

May 6, 2013 at 2:40 am

When you decide to get off your knees and remove your lips from Hobama’s taint remember what I wrote. He isn’t going to do a dam n thing for Assata and my people Black People need to stop begging our Oppressor to do things for us. And as for your magical crystal ball that tells you I am not Black. You need to get it fixed so it can tell you the lottery numbers, slag. Maybe then you can go see a good psychiatrist to figure out why whenever Black people are discussing serious issues like this. It’s always some deflecting kneegrow like yourself focusing on someone like myself and yet didn’t mention one thing about this Sister Assata and whether you support her or not. I can understand you’re disagreeing with me or anyone else. But when YOU come on here before you start running your trap talking reckless to other people you don’t know anything about. Check yourself and state openly where you stand. Talking mess about me or anyone else doesn’t show me what you think about the FBI, the Black Power Movement and Liberation does it. All you look like right now is the typical c**n who got butthurt because someone said truth about our President which I might add you couldn’t even deny. You are so focused on European dynamics like titles of President and names which he himself changed that you can’t name one thing he has done for Black people. Like others have written do you honestly think The President of the United States didn’t get a call from the head of the FBI to get his approval about putting this Sister on the Terrorist list? As for being caught in ‘da hood’. I’ve seen people shoot other people in front of me, and had to fight my entire life. Whether it was my own people in the neighborhood or white people and others who hate us for our Black skin and obviously I’m still here. If you or anyone else wants to pay me a visit in Detroit, I’ll be happy to give you what I gave them or anyone else who tried to catch me slipping in the hood scunt. Please respond back with your simp bootlicking mentality so I can continue to tear you a new one. People like you k**l me. Always willing to jump in front of a gun to rescue or protect the very people who put you in the messed up situations you find yourself. Hopefully if you do say something back you will have enough sense to acknowledge 2 things. BARRY SOTERO is not going to a thing for Assata and you still haven’t said who you stand with; her or this government and its agents that you love so much. I also will add the brother Tyehimba made some sense to me so I will sign the petition. But I don’t expect it to do anything because of who it is being sent too. The man responsible for this situation. I just want everyone to know whether you disagree with me or not, I don’t care. But I do care about Assata and I stand with her. I will lock arms with anyone whether I disagree with you other issues or not as long as you stand with Assata. We can solve our personal beefs another time and let the best man live. Peace.

15. Michelle Savage Reply

May 5, 2013 at 11:34 pm

@ think about it. First since you came on here to. Smack you don’t know a d**n thing about black people our culture nothing his name is Barrack Hussein Obama that’s President to you. You are a weak soul and lost soul if you get caught in the hood you best believe to say nothing you cannot cash checks your d**n mouth write believe that hater!!!

16. Agyei Tyehimba Reply

May 5, 2013 at 11:28 pm

My name is Agyei Tyehimba. I am the brother that created this particular petition in support of sister Assata Shakur. I’ve read many of these comments and would simply like to note the following brief points:

1. There is not a shred of evidence that suggests Assata killed the state trooper. No gun residue on her hands or body, no gun, and no ability to shoot one given that her clavicle was shattered by gunfire.

2. Assata was previously charged with abduction, bank robbery, etc. but was completely exonerated of all charges. This occurred before the state trooper incident. Therefore, the troopers had motivation to k**l or frame her up.

3. I am not under the naive impression that the President is an advocate of Black liberation or nationalism. And while he is part of the system that hunts for and harasses Assata, we are nevertheless intelligent to use our constitutional rights to petition the government on this matter. Short of leading an armed cadre of comrades to Cuba for her protection and whisking her away to an undisclosed location, what are the other options available to us? The $2 million bounty on her head insures that it’s a matter of time before opportunistic and brainwashed people in Cuba abduct and/or provide info to the FBI for her capture. In such scenarios, politically conscious people use whatever means at their disposal to fight. Perhaps a strong petition drive might pressure Obama to launch an investigation and clear Assata. Whatever the case, it is self-defeating and apolitical to do NOTHING. At worse, such a tactic re-energizes a national and global discussion and awareness around political prisoners, the FBI’s racist practices, and the issue of Black political resistance. Students of history will note that most enslaved Blacks did not escape or participate in plantation revolts; yet many broke tools, deliberately slowed down work production, faked illness, and stole items from the plantation owners. In other words, they participated in acts of RESISTANCE, doing what they could with what they had.

My hope is that you will all sign the petition and encourage others to do the same. We must not allow our skepticism or cynicism paralyze us; We must maintain the spirit of defiance and resistance that our ancestors maintained; And we must stand with sister Assata in challenging racist and repressive law enforcement agencies. Let us not forget that brother Malcolm suggested, “By ANY means necessary.”

• Mary Ieliene Jones-Bailey Reply

May 6, 2013 at 2:49 am

ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I WAS AROUND DURING THAT TIME AND WE ALL KNOW THAT SHE WAS SET UP….IT’S UNFORTUNATE THAT THIS IS THE KIND OF WORILD WE BEEN LIVING IN….I CAN REMEMBER MY AUNTS CAR BEING PULL OVER CAUSE THEY SAID ASSATA WAS IN THE AREA…..NO OTHER THEN MY 2 GIRLFRIENDS AND MY GRANDMOTHER IN THE CAR….MY AUNT WAS DRIVING…ALL THEY SEEN WAS 3 AFRO’S IN THE BACK WINDOW….I DON’T BELIEVE OBAMA CAN HELP…HE’S IN A BAD POSITION HERE….BUT MAY GOD (ALLAH) BE WITH HER…..

• Olivia Pope Reply

May 6, 2013 at 1:20 pm

In regards to this latest attempt on Assata’s life and liberty, I’m asking all my people in New Jersey to write or call Senator Robert Menendez’s office and complain since he is one of those who initiated Resolution #254 asking the Cuban government to extradite Assata from Cuba. This man will never get another vote from me and I’m asking those residents in New Jersey to call and complain.

• Warren G Reply

May 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Thank you Brother Agyei for this petition. It is something. African men need to always be about doing something to define our rights and legacy of fighting against oppression. The question should be why are we not organized and unified enough to go and define her physically? Cuba has stepped up. Why have we Africans not stepped up? We must look hard within our spirit and conscious.

• The People Speak Reply

May 11, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Hi Agyei:

Right on! Keep trying by all means.
      However, after being involved in
      countless campaigns, one of the things
      I’ve learned is that you don’t get
      anywhere by asking or pleaing without
      something to back you up.

Basically, you are asking for a handout
      from Obama. Like most politiicans, there
      has to be something in it for them -
      some public relations points, career
      advancement, money, etc. OR you have to
      have some implied threat behind the plea:
      a black mark on their reputation, lawsuit,
      etc.

I’ve been involved in high profile campaigns
      where there was no doubt what was right and
      I’ve seen Congress drop the ball because it
      wasn’t politically expedient to carry it
      any further.

Obama or any other politician will not do
      something because it is the right
      thing to do. If you believe that you are
      only fooling yourself and wasting your
      time and leading others down the same
      path.

Definitely keep trying but do it with that
      in mind and make your plea keeping in mind
      what I’ve just mentioned.

All the best!

17. makheru bradley Reply

May 5, 2013 at 9:55 pm

They’re asking the person who authorized these actions against Assata Shakur to rescind his own actions. The Executioner-in-Chief is looking to add another notch to his already b****y gunbelt.

• Zoe Ma'at-kaRa Spencer Reply

May 5, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I think we all know that we cannot depend on our oppressors to free us. But we can also not sit back and let them think that we don’t know what it is. This is a voice of solidarity. An awakening even…about the way that the past has viciously returned. So, let’s sign and then let’s organize real movement. Saying that they won’t do anything and allowing that to be OUR excuse for not doing anything is why we are here. Let’s talk about the next step.

18. Barbara Reply

May 5, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I’m signing the petition for her and all the others who fought and were willing to give their lives for us to be able to sit here today and second guess them.

I had a great uncle who was picked up, jailed on false charges, and put on the Chain Gang for free labor to dig ditches for Southern Whites. He was on his way to another Southern State to visit a sick relative at the time, after finally having worked and saved enough money for the trip.

Things were very different for us Blacks 40 years ago.

19. Zoe Ma'at-kaRa Spencer Reply

May 5, 2013 at 8:38 pm

WHere can we sign the petition. I also constructed a petition and have collected 100 plus signatures. I’d like to give mine over so that we can compile them together…..

20. Greg Reply

May 5, 2013 at 8:06 pm

These folks are silly. Obama Administration is not going to do jack. We love to annoy Obama with this type of c**p. We already know the answer from the Obama Administation. We love to chase the impossible road.

21. Black Power Outage Reply

May 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm

You know I’m reading these comments from all the people offering support and I can’t seem to get past something so obviously out of order. There are a lot of people that jump on the side of justice and have so much to say all while hiding behind fake internet names. I applaud the fact that people are seeking justice as it is warranted but if the cause is to come together to right the wrongs perpetuated against us as a whole we should be able to converse on a more intimate level as it pertains to the matter at hand. We are hiding from one another screaming for justice. How shall this be?

22. Terrell Reply

May 5, 2013 at 7:40 pm

The federal govt is upset because they had to lock up one of their own and label him a terrorist(the Boston Marathon Killers) so let’s go after one of there’s, a black female, Asata Shakur. Because we, the federal governtment, don’t want the nation to believe all terrorist are white.

• Peter D. Slaughter Reply

May 6, 2013 at 7:38 am

You are correct and they had to remind the black masses that they are still the real public enemy fodder for the private owned,updated slave g******e,eugenics prison operation.

23. VoiceOf Truth Reply

May 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

“If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything”

-Ahmed Sékou Touré

24. Harold Reply

May 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm

The FBI is after her–FEDERAL. That likely means the President knew about the most wanted list addition before you and approved. Now many of you expect him to listen to your pleas for help in getting her off the list. Wake Up! Don’t let race fool you! He has been assimilated.

25. Onke Reply

May 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I pledge my commitment to uphold justice to repudiate the politically motivated injustices of incriminating bblack people for crimes they didn’t do

26. darryl Reply

May 5, 2013 at 3:53 pm

She was not given a fair trial, and to label her a terrorist is ridiculous!

27. Think About It Reply

May 5, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Okay my first problem with this is these simple kneegrows begging Barry Sotero of all people to help this Sister. If he hasn’t proved he is a privileged class loving behind kisser to you by now what’s it going to take. If Assata was a Yale Law School grad maybe he might lift a finger or if she had just declared she was Gay he might help her. Why on this Earth would you ask someone who is part of the problem to help you? This happened under his watch. Are we still pretending that no one told him before she made the list like no one told him about any of the other Bush type stuff he keeps doing when it happens. As for all you people who are either to young to remember, stupid or just have always had this sheep mentality that the government and it’s officials are always right. Back in the Jim Crow era of 1865 when slavery ended to about 1964 when the Civil Rights legislation went through, Black people were being murdered and lynched by anyone White. Police, Klan the local hillbilly’s and anyone else that had a problem with us without being prosecuted or arrested. I know for the last 40 years of so-called Liberal Public School programming you have an entire generation of idiots who think we won our Civil Rights by begging our Oppressor to like us and let them sic dogs on us, k**l us and water hose us without fighting back and they just got tired of killing and beating us nice Black folk so they decided to take their boots off our necks. That’s what they want you to think. The other side to that was alot of Brothers and Sisters fought this Imperialistic, Colonialist, beast tooth and nail and used the only tactic he respects. Violence. If it wasn’t for Sisters like Assata and men like Robert Williams who gave America a choice. Either leave us alone or we are going to fight you back using the same means you use to k**l us. I don’t know what kind of bootlicking Kool-Aid some of my people are drinking but where I come from there is no moral equivalence between an Oppressor and a Victim. If someone whether they have a badge or not tries to murder you; you have every human right to fight back. What kills me is when people try to apologize for what they know is the truth. Just because Jim Crow technically ended in 65 what makes you think all the people who practiced killing Black folks just magically disappeared because there were some new laws on the books? Then you have the scared slaves. Always with the fighting against the white man don’t work, as you bow your head in cowardice. Yeah fool. Tell that to the Vietcong, the IRA and the Taliban. Stop begging people who are hurting you to stop. Stop pretending you can negotiate with someone who has their boot on your neck to treat you like a human being. Barack Obama is the last Black? person on the planet Black People need to go to begging for help. The sad thing is that there are plenty of Brothers and Sisters who have made careers in Law Enforcement from Police Officers to Judges and instead of doing something to help this Sister who had she and the Panthers, BLA not existed would be working cleaning someone’s house right now instead. They are the biggest one scared to do anything because how dare they offend the children or grandchildren in the same Jobs who’s Fathers were the ones doing the murders of Blacks 30 – 40 years ago. If Obama can pick up the phone to call some white woman just because she got insulted by Rush Limbaugh but remained silent when they executed Troy Davis what makes you think this simp is going to do anything for Assata. Stop it.

28. Derrick Reply

May 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm

HERE’S THE TRUTH ABOUT SISTER ASSATA SHAKUR!!!
    By Scotty Reid, 5/3/2013, news, politics

Following the ludicrous announcement that the Obama administration has placed Assata Shakur on its “most wanted terrorist list”, the FBI has erected billboards in Newark, New Jersey announcing its recently increased $2 million dollar reward. However, any critically thinking person knows that these billboards are not about capturing Assata Shakur but sending a message to the rest of us. Interestingly, perhaps just a coincidence or not, Newark, New Jersey is the place where a theater co-owned by Shaquille O’Neil, recently reneged on an agreement to show a popular independent film about the life of another former member of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense, political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal.

Is Assata Shakur in New Jersey? No, she is not and the FBI and the Obama administration know exactly where she is, in Cuba where she has lived since being granted political asylum by its government in 1984 after escaping from prison alluding capture in 1979. This is not about Assata Shakur, it is about sending a message to the Black community and those that live within it who stand up to police violence, oppression and murder of residents, one of the very reasons for the formation of the Black Panthers. It is about the political repression of those who advocate on the behalf of the many political prisons being held by the United States government often in torturous conditions. It is about sending a message to anyone who would take up arms in defense of life, liberty and true freedom in a country that is home to the largest prison population in the world which the federal government and various corporations use as slave labor. It is about sending a message to those that would dare stand up and point out that the US government is the most v*****t entity on the planet and one that commits acts of terrorism against non-white people and nations on behalf of maintaining the American imperialist status-quo.

Why else would the U.S. government seek to name Assata Shakur as a domestic terrorist after all these decades? We are talking about a woman who was s**t twice while attempting to give herself up to police who were co-operating with Federal authorities to target and assassinate or otherwise eliminate members of the Black Liberation movement just as they had done and admitted in a civil lawsuit to doing to Martin Luther King Jr.

The FBI and its corporate media wing fail to report the details of the sham case built against Assata Shakur after failing to win convictions on other trump up charges. The corporate media is failing to point out that a police officer, a state witness against Assata Shakur for the murder of another police officer, has recanted his testimony and admitted to lying on the stand. Medical personnel stated that because of nerves severed by a bullet, Assata Shakur would have been physically prevented from firing a weapon and it was also stated that her wounds indicate her hands were raised when she was s**t consistent with her claim that she was giving herself up.

Just as Assata Shakur has pointed out that COINTELPRO utilized and received full cooperation from the corporate media to demonize and alienate freedom fighters from the people who supported them, corporate media today is still fulfilling that role. The concept of a free and independent press in America has always been a fraud and it remains so today.

ASKING O’DRAMA TO HELP THIS SISTER IS LIKE ASKING A DEAF MAN CAN HE HEAR!!!

BROTHER CHAVEZ WAS PROTECTING THIS LADY, AND AFTER HE DIED ALL HE.LL BROKE LOSE! REMEMBER, JAY-Z AND BB (BIG BU.TT) WENT TO CUBA, I WONDER WERE THEY THE SCAPEGOATS, O’DRAMA SENT TO SPY ON THIS SISTER?

LET’S NOT FORGET THE GOVERNMENT GAVE THEM O.K. TO GO TO CUBA!!!

AFTER THEY CAME BACK; HER BOUNTY “DOUBLED”!!! REMEMBER, THE ROCKEFELLERS “OWN” JAY-Z AND THE uNUTed snakes, AND O’DRAMA!!!

DO THE MATH!!!

• Zoe Reply

May 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Spit truth Derrick!!!

29. Nigel Nicholson Reply

May 5, 2013 at 3:08 pm

could not lift a gun, is what I meant to say.

30. Nigel Nicholson Reply

May 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm

First I like to say that this woman is innocent, if you look at the evidence from her trial. She was targeted by the FBI, who stated in their FBI memo that they are to assassinated black political activist whether through character assassination, imprisonment or the bullet of a gun. In her trial is was a know fact that on the night the officer was k**l miss Shakur was s**t in the back and could not right a gun to shoot at anyone. Does anyone find this appalling? here we have a black woman who was s**t in the back by police officers in New Jersey. They target black people who were and are trying to uplift black people from the mental and economic slavery that continues to happen today. As a black man I ask myself this every day, what would happen if these people did not stand up for the injustice that was being committed to black people. They assassinated Dr. King, Malcom X, Fred Hampton and countless others.
    How many more are in jail because of the stances they took, they will never see the outside because they are there for the rest of their life. Today the powers that be are masters in the art of psychological warfare and can turn us against each other. Wake up black people they want us to self- destruct and they use covertpsychological means to do so.

• Sunshine941 Reply

May 5, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Are you implying that you actually reviewed evidence from her trial? Is this information public? Are their public records on her case or trial? Please provide a link if you know of one. Thanks ~Sunshine941

31. BeeJay Reply

May 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm

To those of you who believe she is guilty simply because the FBI says so, please keep in mind the story of Geronimo Pratt. Pratt was a Black Panther who spent 27 in prison for murders he did not commit, all because the Feds framed him (they withheld evidence supporting his innocence). He was released eventually and won a law suit. All this to say that there is plenty factual evidence hiding in plain sight that our so called justice system is not only unfair, but will go to the extent of breaking the law just to take down those who have been labeled as “threats.”

32. moonhead Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Assata Shakur (Joanne Chesimar), did not k**l anyone, but was targeted by these racist New Jersey state troopers, to be assinated. She was there when they were s**t, but didn’t even have a gun. Those racist pigs, deserved to be s**t, as should many more like them. As for you illiterate n*ggers, that say that you believe in the law, and support the police, I hope that you support them when they k**l someone dear to you. New Jersey, is one of the most racist, if not the most racist state in the union, and their cops, are some of the worst.

33. Yvonne Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:39 pm

No one has the rights to shoot someone to d***h or at all unless it is self defense. No one is above the law. But it must be clear that she s**t the police without doubt. If she did she deserves to be caught no matter how old she is.. If she didn’t then yes it’s a good thing to help her out. Color doesn’t matter if you are guilty.

34. Sunshine941 Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Facts are facts. I’m open to anyone stating facts! It sounds like the group is asking for a FAIR/UNBIASED investigation! In Ms. Assasta book if what she is stating his true then h**l yes she deserves a new investigation- a fair trail-charges dropped. We all know how our justice system works; hopefully. I will refrain from judgement and would love to review the trail transcripts for the case as its funny how every record and court documents are available on the FBI’s website except for Ms.Assasta case. I reviewed the documents on the police shoot out which left Mr. Fred Hampton d**d. In his case one doc stated Mr.Hampton had taken some type of sleeping pills and could not have been involved in a shoot out-the other doc stated their was know trace of any type of sleeping agent. Hmmmm makes one think! Is the FBI trying to cover its tracks? Or vice versa? One must question the source and never just assume the justice system is actually about justice. Too me it “seems” the justice system is about keeping “blk folks in their place”. Too many times blks have the book thrown at us while the white race gets a tap on the hand. Leaves me questioning who is justice really for? #realshit

35. Sunshine Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:16 pm

This is very much about race.

Aassata Shakur’s Lawyer as well as Angela Davis in a interview with Democracy Now

36. Pat Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:10 pm

If she killed a law enforcement agent and injured another, I cannot support tis petiton no matter what her race is. I believe in respecting the law and police officers.

• Lillie A. Estes Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm

@Pat….

If those cops were rogue and targeted Ms. Shakur, you have got to be kidding me to support them blindly.

True information must come out to right this wrong.

Just because they might have happen to been law enforcement does not give them a pass to be illegal. NO ONE is above the law…pure and simple !!!

• coast cooker Reply

May 6, 2013 at 11:49 am

If she killed those cops good.I wish she could bring them back to life so she can k**l them again..

• Olivia Pope Reply

May 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm

How stupid of you since she had her hands raised when she was s**t by the police. Get the facts before you run off at the mouth.

37. moussaoui ahmed Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:02 pm

oui mes amie .est pour je vous clairés une serprise .pour vous president barack obama est j ai croiyé le plus pare des democrate .ilon des bon tips .mes ya quelque chose qui sapelle l origime .est inpossible pour obama est quelque un autre .mes passable de son intelligence .ile cherché comment culibries entre l origime est son criation politic seulmment pour resilvé america .est moi je vivre avec cette homme est j ai etudiés son psycilogys .quent j ai triés son fent est son phyzique .merci

38. Ann G. Reply

May 5, 2013 at 1:54 pm

If she s**t a cop, that is where she needs to be, this is not about race. There was a White Woman that belonged to some org. that r****d a bank back in the day and they finally caught up with her and she was married for many years living a good life and had never gotten into trouble again, well she also was on the most wanted list, they caught her and she had to pay the cost to be the boss. We all have a price to pay when we do wrong regardless as to weather we are no longer involved in that life style.

• Teri Wilson Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Thank you!I don’t understand this treating her like she’s some type of hero. She was convicted of shooting a police officer. There is no statute of limitations on murder, because the crime happened 40 years ago it should be excused?

• makheru bradley Reply

May 5, 2013 at 9:46 pm

It’s quite amazing that people form opinions without doing even elementary research of the facts.

[Shakur was falsely convicted of having killed an officer on May 2, 1973. While driving on the New Jersey Turnpike, Assata, Zayd Shakur, and Sundiata Acoli were stopped by state troopers, allegedly for having a “faulty taillight.” A shootout ensued where one state trooper killed Zayd Shakur, and another trooper, Werner Foerster, ended up d**d.

Shakur was charged with both murders, despite the fact that the other trooper, James Harper, admitted he killed Zayd Shakur. Assata had been, following police instructions, standing with her hands in the air, when she was s**t by Trooper Harper more than once, including a bullet to the back. Trooper Harper lied and said he had seen Shakur reach for a gun, a claim he later recanted.

He also claimed she had been in a firing position, something a surgeon who examined her said was “anatomically impossible." The same surgeon said it was “anatomically necessary” for her arms to have been raised for her to receive the bullet wounds she did. Tests done by the police found that Shakur had not fired a gun, and no physical or medical evidence was presented by the prosecution to back up their claim that she had fired a gun at Trooper Harper.

While she was in trial proceedings, the state attempted to pin six other serious crimes on her, alleging she had carried out bank robberies, kidnappings and attempted killings. She was acquitted three times, two were dismissed and one resulted in a hung jury.

Shukur was put on trial in a county where because of pre-trial publicity 70 percent of people thought she was guilty, and she was judged by an all-white jury. Without any physical evidence to present, the prosecution had to rely totally on false statements and innuendo aimed at playing on the prejudices of the jury pool against Black people, political radicals, and Black revolutionaries in particular. Finally, after years behind bars, the state secured her conviction for the Turnpike shooting.]– Eugene Puryear

The bullet which went through Shakur’s back shattered her clavicle which is why the surgeon made the “anatomically impossible” and “anatomically necessary” statements above.

Of course Ms. Wilson and many others (just like the all-white jury) probably believe that the surgeon is lying and the police are telling the truth.

• G Reply

May 5, 2013 at 2:16 pm

You don’t know what she did, being black in America I know I can’t believe everything the media says. There are alot of brainwashed/programmed people. Reasonable doubt never comes into play until it’s your family member that’s in question. Let it be one of your family members and I bet you’ll be the one screaming about a fair trial. As for her running, there’s a long list of civil rights leaders d**d or in jail for no reason and America has still not grasped the concept of a fair trial nowadays, yet alone back then, i.e. emmit till murder, scottsboro, the list goes on. So if you wanna hold someone accountable for wrong doing, try going to the source, h**l start with Gay Edgar Hoover

39. Nehemiah III Reply

May 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Even if she s**t a trooper who was doing a traffic stop on her and her friends? Get real.

40. Samuel Hill Jr Reply

May 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Anyone who tries to ELEVATE the BLACK RACE self esteem falls under suspicion in this racist society!