‘Duck Dynasty’ Star: “I’m With the Blacks, Because I’m White Trash”

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson landed himself in hot water by comparing homos*xuality to bestiali†y in a duck-dynasty-9recent GQ interview. But what hasn’t garnered nearly as much attention are the comments Robertson made about racism in America.

When asked about racism during the pre-Civil Rights era in the South,  the 67-year-old patriarch of Duck Dynasty said the African-Americans he encountered were both happy and humble.

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field…. They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!… Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Apparently the Duck Dynasty star believes everything went awry in the black community after African-Americans gained the same access to the welfare system that whites had had for years.

Robertson was suspended from A&E after making several anti-gay comments.  He has since issued a statement attempting to clarify his position.

“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together,” he said, adding that  he would “never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me.”

20 Responses to ‘Duck Dynasty’ Star: “I’m With the Blacks, Because I’m White Trash”

1. Nicole Reply

December 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I wonder what people would think of a website called “Your White World” ?

I don’t want racism in the world, and that applies to our own racism as well. Race shouldn’t be an issue at all unless you want to keep it going.

That man is not racist. That man spoke his mind of what he saw working with blacks, they were Godly and they were happy.

Today we have the Jessie Jacksons, the Al Sharptons etc jumping at every opportunity to create a racism incident where they don’t exist, just like the Islamists did in Rwanda between the Hutus and Tutsis before the ********s. It’s a war tool and we shouldn’t fall for it, there are people out there that want to see America destroy itself from within.

• Traveller Reply

December 23, 2013 at 9:45 am

Nicole

Your comments smacks of racism, and it was deceptively expressed with a hint of passive-aggression.

Whites who live in South Africa call themselves the ‘white minority’ because living in a nation where the dominant racial group is Black makes them so, so anything culturally expressed by the minority would be defined as ‘white’.

That is actually the natural thing to do under those circumstances but I guess it wouldn’t be the case with whites where America is concerned because theyre too busy isolating, segregating and redefining everybody else while asserting and promulgating white privilege & ********* within their borders and indeed across the world.

Whites dont have to call anything ‘white’ in America due to the fact that they not only are the dominant race but they are also the ones who created, and continue to maintain the system as we know it today, and Black people don’t define anything as ‘Black’ in Africa or the Caribbean for the same reasons!

If we’re going to talk about diversity and equality in this day and time then let the same principle apply to ALL across the board as it doesn’t seem to be being practiced when it comes to whites.

2. James Robertson Reply

December 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Remember, Phil Robertson, is not talking about blacks of 2013, he’s talking about in the era’s of 1950′s, 1960′s and early 1970′s. Working on farms in those days in the south, he’s right, we all did work together on farms and it was not a problem, we did get along and work in harmony. In the early 1970′s, working on tobacco farms, I could earn about $15.00 dollars and hour priming tobacco, and come home with a pocket full of money every week. Today, I went to work for a Bus Driving Company, and earned $7.30 cents per hour, and taxed to d***h with that amount. I found that the majority of Anglo Saxons farmers during those years, were very generous, and usually treated African Americans better then Corporate Bosses today. A lot of blacks in the south share-cropped, and were treated fair. I have worked for local Government and Corporations, and there Management were lousy. Please give this man a break, Christians in the South, believe in the Word of God, and we love all people, even though we may not agree with them, Christians are not here to judge anyone.

3. zeech Reply

December 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm

as so many folks have said, ‘that was his experience’, and clueless bubble world that he chooses to live in have NOT woke him up decades that have passed since. He probably grew up believing a woman who got rape was asking for it by dressing skunk, being ***** tease etc but in 2013 he would CHECK himself to confirm that sentiment on camera. but not for us… coz we let the beast get away with it.
    But what I want to say, is TODAY there are black folks on plantations who will tell you as they live in **** mud and iron shacks that they are happy with their lot and luuuuurve massa and all the other **** he says.
    I’m talking caribbean and latino america, where black folks including much of my family really do know their place, dang we know it so well I swear the white tourists who come here have a look of nostalgia in their eyes like ‘Good Grief, I would most surely like to own you young fellow’.
    How did I change? by my parents taking me to america!
    And I say that in all seriousness, to kinda say whatever this racist pork head is getting away with blessing of mainstream media, it’s worse down here, in the tropics.

4. Devon Reply

December 21, 2013 at 4:58 am

WHY are you all talking to that cracka Lee DePue or whatever the f*ck his name is, WHY are you all having a conversation about the brutality of JIM CROW with a cracka who doesn’t give a sh*t about black people? F*ck them. Crackas are deliberately revising text books to “rename” slavery and make it less than the b****l period it was. When will we get these people have no vested interest in us at PRESENT time and they d**n SURE don’t have a vested interest in our history? Ignore them!!

5. becca Reply

December 21, 2013 at 12:07 am

I don’t “think” he is saying that he understands what it is to be mistreated for being black. What he could mean however, is that he understands mistreatment. And this could actually be his way of saying that the people he worked with were STRONG… probably even more so than him. Whatever reason, it hurts to be devalued. “United we Stand, divided we fall” Let’s get a grip people…. I don’t have to understand everything to support anyone. The fact of the matter is In The beginning God Said Let us make man in our image. I’m sorry anyone has ever been mistreated, but all anyone is doing here is allowing hate to grow.. That’s not getting anything done. We as a nation are being destroyed because we choose to hold on to things from the past. I am sorry that those things happened… they should not have, but they did. Some people choose to hold onto oppression while the others choose to hold onto *********. God’s word says that we can be free from all of that. Let’s look at the bigger picture. The enemy is trying to destroy anyone that he can. And he is gonna use any means that he can to do it. This is not about us. It is about the kingdom… True freedom is found in God, and this world has nothing to offer us. Why do we all think the world owes us something. Let’s grow up… God Bless

• jazz Reply

December 21, 2013 at 7:20 am

@BECCA it bothers me when people of any race say get over the past. Slavery and the unjust acts that took place pre slavery and the civil rights movement are still having direct effects on black communities across the country. The past is the past you say….okay so lets stop celebrating veterans day…..lets say forget about the holocaust. ….to h**l with pearl harbor and whyyyyy in the h**l bring up that big a*s boat the titanic….blacks have had our a***s handed to us our backs whipped our children killed slaved for hundreds of years ….the dogs set loose…the fire hose…..don’t read or you’ll possibly die behind trying to educate. Yourself and lets not forget the lynching that took place for so long….anybody the **** or their affiliates could find that was black man woman and child ….were being hung up from trees and bridges. One of the many saddest stories I read was in Louisiana where our duck dynasty family is….the farmers and croc n gator hunters would use children and babies as BAIT …..I’m sure you can fill in the rest of that story. k**l my baby and be a wet nurse for my mastah’s wife…but black folk were happy. Phil grew up around the swamp during a time when he know d**n well….we was singing the blues cause we were not happy then. h**l when black folk took their pain n put it in song it was the blues and it was snatched away and the white boys called it rock n roll. ….we not gon get over **** til they give us back everything they took from us!! But a even bigger question is how long is it going to take to get all blacks on board to know who we really are. White people know. …that’s why they keep us enslaved to this day…we just in different chains

• becca Reply

December 21, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Sissy,

I didn’t mean to imply that anyone should “get over it”. Maybe I’m not understanding how white people are still oppressing black people. I’m sorry to say that I have not seen it often, on the other hand I’m not denying that it happens. All Im asking for is that everyone show one another some grace. I think that we should remember the past, but learn from it, rise above it, and grow. Keep moving. Noone can stop anyone.
        We all need to change our mentality. Did it happen, yes! Is it the most horrible thing ever… YES… But why don’t we ever hear that much about the ******** in Africa and their equality. or the ******** happening all around the world. All I’m saying is there is some real c**p happening right now. and all of this petty stuff distracts us from the issues at hand. Sis, I promise God is for you… Who can stand against you… And He always wins.. and rewards faithfulness for generations to come.. Nobody can stop your blessing.. Much love

6. Traveller Reply

December 20, 2013 at 7:55 am

Interesting…

So him being “***********” puts that status on par with Black people??? BS

He’s right; “…I never with my eyes saw the mistreatment of any black person”, emphasis on the words “my eyes..”.
    What does his eyes generally see when it comes to the suffering of Black people, thats the important question.

If he “never” saw the mistreatment of Black people then he isn’t qualified to give an opinion regarding Black people and pre-entitlements or pre-welfare because he fails to see beneath the surface of a Black social paradigm.

Him failing to see this doesn’t necessarily make him a racist but it does make him ignorant at the very least!

7. Lois Hunter Reply

December 20, 2013 at 6:33 am

” We have to understand in his world this is true, go to his community, I was shocked when visiting his part of the country (1979) and saw all these white men married to Black women who was not actresses or in the limelight.The community was in a time gap my personal thought.
    Everyone seemed happy and content it was just me trying to understand and no one could give me a answer so Black Folk we need to travel get deeply involved into a culture.

I can understand what he is saying because of his experiences.
    Now back where I was raised that racist a*s state Atlanta, Ga.

Thanks too Mayor Maynard Jackson, Xernona Clayton we were FREED!!!!!!!!

8. louis daye Reply

December 20, 2013 at 3:19 am

lay lay Russell I concur about them putting on a brave face to avoid being lynch, as well as the welfare thing bang on girl. black people need each other for strength, or one by one we will disappear.

9. Eveban Reply

December 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I can’t stand my people. *****s are stupid. He never saw us mistreated because that is not who he is. He took anyone in off the street. Didn’t matter race or what. Do your research you ignorant fools. Too easy to call someone a racist. He isn’t.

• EL Reply

December 19, 2013 at 8:37 pm

No were not stupid perhaps u are u enemy lovin nut bag!!

10. mrs.williams Reply

December 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm

i don’ tbelieve that he is at all.. He seems to bad a good fearing man that speaks his mind.. now I’m African American. andi love watching his show and for the record i have never felt disrespected..

11. Johnlee Reply

December 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm

White media is just as racist as he is that’s why they’re ignoring it. If it’s not about offending homosexuals, white women or Jewish people they could care less.

• EL Reply

December 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Couldn’t have said it better myself right on bro.

12. Insomemaze Reply

December 19, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Very interesting! We moving into the future,check out The BlackMan(State of Emergency) on Youtube. This guy talking dumb! Been in them swamps to long! Peace!

13. EL Reply

December 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm

He never saw blacks mistreated because he had a hood on his head!

• ANC Reply

December 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Best. Comment. Ever. Hahahaha!

• becca Reply

December 21, 2013 at 12:23 am

Seriously? That was just as ignorant as something that a *** member would say… Rise above it!! Cuz that comment just made you look very pathetic. Not trying to be mean.. but ya’ll are crucifying a man for what you think is the same thing that you are guilty of in this comment. I think we all need to drop our stones.